Rosen or Kulich: who makes the Sabres?

LGR4GM

Kulich and Rosen  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick to make the Sabres roster in October?

• Isak Rosen
    • Jiri Kulich

Kulich has some jam, a good shot and cam draw down the middle.  He got noticeably bigger.  I think his game fits more on lines two or three.

Regarding Rosen, who also got noticeably bigger has really impressed.  Could I see him making the team.  Sure. I just think Kulich makes so much more sense.

I don’t believe either will make it this soon. I think Rousek will take the spot. 

Out of those two it’s hard to look past Kulich, but I think another year in the AHL to help work on defensive side of his game is needed. now if Olofsson is traded, then it’s open season for either. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

In truth neither, but Kulich has a better shot.  He still needs work on his play away from the puck and Rosen needs to show he can score more consistently.

I agree with you that in all likelihood neither will make this roster coming out of camp. But what's encouraging is that it is not out of the realm of possibility that one of the high-end prospects shows enough in camp to get some introductory time when the season starts. That in itself demonstrates progress in stocking the system. If I was forced to answer @LGR4GM question I would say Kulich, and it wouldn't be shocking if Benson was also considered.

Edited by JohnC

1 hour ago, steveoath said:

I don’t believe either will make it this soon. I think Rousek will take the spot. 

Out of those two it’s hard to look past Kulich, but I think another year in the AHL to help work on defensive side of his game is needed. now if Olofsson is traded, then it’s open season for either. 

I listened to the Maintenance Day podcast this morning while walking the dogs. They believe Rousek has the spot locked up. They made a compelling argument for it. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

Rousek’s Spot is 13th forward Who can come in during injuries, kill penalties and fill in where needed in the bottoms 6.

That is not the same spot Kulich or Rosen would fill.

They would need to play with offensive players in offensive roles. 

They would have a shot if VO is shipped out and Kane not signed.

Skinner Tage Kulich

Greenway Mitts Tuch

JJ Cozens Rosen

if both blew the doors off in camp.

43 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Rousek’s Spot is 13th forward Who can come in during injuries, kill penalties and fill in where needed in the bottoms 6.

That is not the same spot Kulich or Rosen would fill.

They would need to play with offensive players in offensive roles. 

They would have a shot if VO is shipped out and Kane not signed.

Skinner Tage Kulich

Greenway Mitts Tuch

JJ Cozens Rosen

if both blew the doors off in camp.

Considering Rousek (and Murray too) is being given a chance to see how he plays with Krebs, am actually now expecting he's getting pencilled into what was Okposo's spot and Okposo is pencilled in as Cozens' 2nd winger unless the kid playing with him right now absolutely forces his way onto the team.  (In which case Okposo goes back to his normal role next to Krebs.)

Really expect Jost is the 13 unless he forces his way higher into the lineup.

But do agree, his role is not that which Kulich or Rosen would fill should they win a roster spot.

3 hours ago, steveoath said:

2 hours ago, French Collection said:

I also think Rousek makes it first due to his age, maturity and more well rounded game.

Between Rosen and Kulich, I chose Kulich because he looks physically stronger than Rosen despite being younger.

I agree that it will most likely be Rousek.

If I have to choose one of Rosen and Kulich, I would say Rosen, although that is based solely on the prospects tournament, where he looked terrific and Kulich looked good but not great IMHO.

• Like (+1) 1

Kulich is just impressive; it’s hard not to lean his way here. 

But I have a dark horse candidate that I think will be given a lot of consideration: Filip Cederqvist

He’s a bit older and has quietly risen up the ranks. It also would behoove the Sabres to pump up some of the fringe* prospects for possible trade purposes. (* I don’t use “fringe” loosely; Cederqvist is a fringe player in the sense that there are way too many legitimate NHL prospects in this org. to fit onto one roster.)

1 hour ago, bob_sauve28 said:

In coming years he going to get even stronger, hitting him is going to be like running into a slab of marble.  

I think he is ahead of Rosen, who also developed physically in the off season, which is very encouraging.  I think Kulich can jump over Rousek if he shows enough.  If not, then he is the first call up.  

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.