Is SabreSpace mainly a prospects board?

PASabreFan

Do we need a separate board for talk about the actual team?

This has been bugging me for awhile. We just had a new thread yesterday (I think) about projecting out the prospect forwards.

Why?

The season is almost here. Is there no present? Only the future?

Prospect talk is fine. Maybe a sub forum or club? Or make the team talk a sub forum?

A lot of people just aren't up for the prospect talk 24/7/12 months a year.

Not expecting this to gain any support or traction.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • dislike 3

32 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

This has been bugging me for awhile. We just had a new thread yesterday (I think) about projecting out the prospect forwards.

Why?

Prospect talk is fine. Maybe a sub forum or club? Or make the team talk a sub forum?

No support from me on this.  It’s is just your off-season doldrums.  Season over and we just had the draft, the prospect camp, and the prospect challenge games.  Relax @PASabreFan

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • dislike 1

Shrug. I posted a separate thread on every single current Sabre in order to talk about the present. I don't think any of them got past a 2nd page.

I have no interest in the endless navel-gazing of what it might mean every time Terry Pegula may or may not have farted. He names himself president and people speculate about it for 11 pages.

It's a Sabres board. People talk about whatever aspect of the Sabres that interests them.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

No support from me on this.  It’s is just your off-season doldrums.  Season over and we just had the draft, the prospect camp, and the prospect challenge games.  Relax @PASabreFan

Agree. HFBoards (Hockey Future Boards) is way way wayyyyy more prospect, college, junior oriented than this forum. By comparison this forum barely scratches the surface.

Edited by Zamboni
  • Agree 1

I love prospect watching, drafts and junior hockey so that stuff is great for me.

The Sabres being a lousy team for so long has made the prospect angle a big part of the wait ‘til next year talk. Becoming a playoff team and contender will take some of the steam out of prospect discussion, as will drafting bottom third for a stretch of time.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Your take is fine, but the 'relax @PASabreFan is not needed.  He is entitled to his opinion.  

• Disagree 2

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

Why?

I think this just speaks to an issue that many forums face.  The balance of new topics versus combined conversations. As was mentioned up the thread. The new topic projecting each players 2023-24 output works in much the same way.

There are a variety of topics that tend to proliferate out into new threads.  Overall, I don't think it's much of an issue but I still maintain a function to "Ignore topic" would be fantastic to have.  This makes it easier to flag those conversations you are not interested in.  Even cooler could be the ability to ignore topic with <flag>, so that you could just say I don't want to see threads flagged "prospects" for example.

A lot of administrative overhead.. and certainly takes governance.. until then I think it's just BAU.

We do talk prospects, but not nearly as much once the season starts.  The U18 and U20 events, the draft, development camp, prospects tournaments are all major events on the hockey calendar and should be discussed here.  In addition, we have been so bad for so long, talking about a bright future was better than discussing the terrible present.  The good news is that the Sabres, now that camp is here, will be the predominant discussion.

Also hockey talk is different than football discussions because hockey has a development pipeline unlike football.  This gives the hockey board much broader topics to cover.

• Like (+1) 3

Not sure what you were expecting @PASabreFan. Since the Draft what has there been to talk about wrt the current roster? (If you exclude the daily updated Dahlin contract tread). It's largely set. The prospects have been the only ones on the ice. Camp starts today and the team has reported. As we work up to the season opener the prospect talk will morph into mostly an Amerks and 'Others' threads and focus will return to 'the present'. But you know all that.

• Agree 1

Why?

I think it is just the summer doldrums along with the aggravation of the blasted playoff drought, whence the prospect talk for the next draft has crept into the preseason before.  I imagine that the prospect talk will start to fade once the season starts and there has better be some Sabres playoff games to delay most of the prospect discussion further for the next decade or so.

Why?

I browse on my phone and the home page of the Aud Club displays approx the most recent 40 topics. I don’t see any that you’ve started. Be the change you want to see. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.