Best Vacation Destination a Tank of Gas or Less from Buffalo

JoeSchmoe

We just checked into a cabin in the Adirondacks for a week.

For many years I've rented cottages here, camped in campgrounds and throughout the backcountry, stayed in hotels and ski lodges and never had less than a great time.

All four seasons of the year (ok, maybe not spring mud and bug season) this is the best vacation destination within a tank of gas from Buffalo, and AINEC IMO.

What do you guys have?

Edited by JoeSchmoe

We've done the Adirondacks and agree that it's a nice, quick vacation destination. I found I liked Lake Placid the best for a high-quality, low exertion few days rest.

The Thousand Islands are great if you're into slow boat cruises. We went to Alexandria Bay for Independence Day and did the tour of Boldt Castle (including the boathouse) and it was awesome - if you're into that kind of thing. Highly recommended as a two-night get-away.

• Like (+1) 3

8 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I like going to Ottawa, I can typically make it depending on what I drive. The nordik spa in Gatineau is amazing, the food downtown and the buildings with just a touch of the European vibe. 

I randomly decided to put together a last minute road trip at the end of August, two nights in the 1000 Islands and then two nights in Ottawa. Do you have any other recommendations in Ottawa? 

If you like mid sized cities, Columbus is underrated.  Not a place to go to multiple times, but we were surprised at how much we enjoyed our weekend there.

When I think of a 'tank of gas' drive I usually think of day trips. We also went to the Comedy museum in Jamestown.  A couple hour visit, but they did a lot better job with it than I thought.  

Finger lakes can be nice for some, but along with the Adirondacks, I'm not much of one for camping/too much outoorsy type of stuff.  We live in a suburban/near Rural area by a bunch of parks and the river...so when we take a vacation we are more looking for a City-type enviroment (museums in Philly or Washington, History stuff near Boston, etc).

I also view the 'tank of gas' thing a bit differently. Our car has a very large gas tank so we "CAN" go 500-520+ miles on a tank (prefer not to push it that hard). But for me the 'drivable distance' is more something like "If we leave between 6-7am in the morning, can we be in our hotel at or near check-in time of 2-3pm."  That pushes out the distance a bit more for us.

Edited by mjd1001

Western MA has some great places as well... everything from skiing to boating on the Connecticut River, College hockey and basketball UMass Amherst, music venues Look Park Florence Mass, and great overlooks... Skinner State Park, Mt Sugarloaf, Basketball HOF, Dr Suess museum, Lenox Mass for well heeled at Tanglewood... good food venues especially Northampton... and if you need a place to during the summer let me know.  

2 hours ago, Jävə Keith said:

Chautauqua Lake. I moved my family 1.5 years ago (from Annapolis, Maryland) back here to live permanently (not just summers) because it is our happy place.

so underrated. you have the bemus and mayville area for great eating, camping and boating. Ellicottville excursion for a day. good call

• Thanks (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Western MA has some great places as well

I'm gonna honk this region. A number of very cool spots in and around there. The vibes are interesting too (sorry for lack of a better term). I can't quite place my finger on what those vibes are -- I think that's an indication that they're unique.

• Agree 1

26 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I'm gonna honk this region. A number of very cool spots in and around there. The vibes are interesting too (sorry for lack of a better term). I can't quite place my finger on what those vibes are -- I think that's an indication that they're unique.

You can get those same vibes at Dank 716 and take/smoke them when you get to Cooperstown now.

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.