2023 Free Agent Frenzy (Non-Sabres)

Eleven

33 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

They are trying to win the off-season in the hearts of their own fans.

Treliving wants to turn them into Calgary. 

Seriously, they are desperate to be "tougher" but they've just swapped out O'Reilly, Acciari, Schenn (who were brought in for that) for Bertuzzi, Reaves, Domi. It makes them a worse team than they were in the playoffs last year and their D is absolute garbage after Reilly and Brodie. They still don't have great goaltending either. They can be beat same way Florida beat them. Just forecheck hard, attack their D and watch the turnovers unfold.  

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Treliving wants to turn them into Calgary. 

Seriously, they are desperate to be "tougher" but they've just swapped out O'Reilly, Acciari, Schenn (who were brought in for that) for Bertuzzi, Reaves, Domi. It makes them a worse team than they were in the playoffs last year and their D is absolute garbage after Reilly and Brodie. They still don't have great goaltending either. They can be beat same way Florida beat them. Just forecheck hard, attack their D and watch the turnovers unfold.  

Bertuzzi just replaces Bunting. But it puts them over the cap and they have to somehow sign Samsonov 

8 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Someone'll go on LTIR,… until the playoffs.

I thought of that, but at some point, it has to be tough pill to swallow for a player to be told that they can’t play until May, if at all. I guess they can have multiple players taking turns on the couch. 

1 minute ago, kas23 said:

I thought of that, but at some point, it has to be tough pill to swallow for a player to be told that they can’t play until May, if at all. I guess they can have multiple players taking turns on the couch. 

It will be Muzzin for $5.6. That wipes out Bertuzzi’ overage but if they sign Domi and Samsonov I have no clue how they solve that without trading Nylander for draft picks and then the team is worse at that point anyways

On 7/1/2023 at 9:01 PM, PerreaultForever said:

Well you can scoff at this but it's a one year deal so it's another guy they can flip for picks at the deadline if the season doesn't go playoffs. Unlike Buffalo, Detroit spends their money and turns it into assets down the road. Unless they are drafting very poorly they will have an even deeper prospect cupboard than the Sabres. It is a plan. 

Yzerman has had five drafts as Detroit’s GM. The First was 2019 and he had 11 picks his second they had 12,  Only 3 of those 23 picks from 2019 and 2020 have played in the NHL. 

So stockpiling picks is great, but eventually they need to turn into actual players. 

They finished ahead of the Sabres once since he became GM and were still 11 points behind the Sabres with all their UFA signings last year. This timeframe even includes the Sabres trading their franchise player and multiple other assets. 

The UFAs they brought in are going to block younger players from getting NHL Games, I think the Sabres Plan of putting the younger players in position to succeed is the proper direction.

Scott Wheeler of the Athletic did have the Detroit Prospect Pool at 4th and the Sabres ranked 6th, but that did include Power, Quinn and Peterka graduating from the prospect pool into the NHL.  Looking at the two organizations, which core and prospect pool would you want moving forward?

Yzerman may be a great GM in Detroit, but he really needs to start showing it soon. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ducky said:

The team still has to be cap compliant on opening day before the can LTIR anyone.

I forgot about that. They will probably have to move Nylander for picks and then move a pick to have someone take Murray. It will be messy. No way they will be a better team then they were.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Matthews pulls a Tkachuk and tells them he’s not extending? They would have to move him.

They wouldn't have to, but they'd be wise to, because they're not likely to do well with the Murray/Woll tandem backstopping a defense corps led by a guy who can't spell his own last name properly anyway, but they'll do what they do.  I don't see them trading Matthews.

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

Yzerman has had five drafts as Detroit’s GM. The First was 2019 and he had 11 picks his second they had 12,  Only 3 of those 23 picks from 2019 and 2020 have played in the NHL. 

So stockpiling picks is great, but eventually they need to turn into actual players. 

They finished ahead of the Sabres once since he became GM and were still 11 points behind the Sabres with all their UFA signings last year. This timeframe even includes the Sabres trading their franchise player and multiple other assets. 

The UFAs they brought in are going to block younger players from getting NHL Games, I think the Sabres Plan of putting the younger players in position to succeed is the proper direction.

Scott Wheeler of the Athletic did have the Detroit Prospect Pool at 4th and the Sabres ranked 6th, but that did include Power, Quinn and Peterka graduating from the prospect pool into the NHL.  Looking at the two organizations, which core and prospect pool would you want moving forward?

Yzerman may be a great GM in Detroit, but he really needs to start showing it soon. 

In his defence, we did pick 1st twice, but I don’t think the draft hauls are really close. We’ve had 11 firsts and 9 2nds in the past 6 years. They’ve had 10 and 15.

• 1 Dahlin - 4 Raymond
  • 1 Power - 6 Seider
  • 7 Cozens - 6 Eidvinsson
  • 8 Mittelstadt - 6 Zadina
  • 8 Quinn - 8 Kasper
  • 9 Savoie - 9 Rasmussen
  • 13 Benson - 9 Danielson
  • 14 Rosen - 15 Cossa
  • 16 Östlund - 17 Sandin-Pelikka
  • 28 Kulich - 30 Veleno
  • 31 Johnson - 32 Wallinder
  • 32 Samuelsson - 33 Beggren
  • 33 Poltapov - 35 Tuomisto
  • 34 Peterka - 36 Buim
  • 37 Davidsson - 36 McIsaac
  • 39 Wahlberg - 38 Lindstrom
  • 41 Leinonen - 40 James
  • 45 Strbak - 41 Augustine
  • 53 Kisakov - 42 Gibson
  • 54 Luukkonen - 47 Cleveland
  • — 51 Neiderbach
  • — 52 Buchelnikov
  • — 54 Mastrosimone
  • — 55 Hanas
  • — 60 Johansson
Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Brawndo said:

I haven't taken the time to investigate their prospect pool so I can't answer the which pool would you rather have question. If they are ranked 4th that's pretty good though. I know this year they took the guy I wanted - Nate Danielson - earlier than his ranking so I have to agree with that pick since I wanted him for us. 

Absolutely true that the picks have to turn into players and time will tell. They might feel more lower level development is the right approach. idk, but there are other teams that believe in this idea contrary to what Adams plan is. Which is better? Again, idk and time will tell. 

I don't buy into this "block" the young guys theory though. If the young guy is good enough, trades or waivers can get made. Vinnie Hinostroza didn't sign with Buffalo expecting to be relegated to the minors. VO didn't expect to get benched. If the younger guy is better he earns the spot period. 

At this point neither team has made the playoffs. imo neither looks probable for the playoffs next year either. Possible, but not probable. New Jersey's plan beat both. We will see which of Detroit and Buffalo gets there first, and then we can proclaim the better "plan". 

4 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Bunting was a big loss. I wish we'd signed him. 

He is my cousin's stepson...glad he got a nice new contract and has achance to win big with Carolina but he really wanted to stay with the Laughs being a Toronto born guy. He plays hard and yes I really hope KA would sign him back before he signed with Toronto 3 years ago. 

Meanwhile Toronto replaces junk with junk...Reaves is a joke but he will fight Lucic every time they play. That'll be good for a laugh...   

6 hours ago, dudacek said:

In his defence, we did pick 1st twice, but I don’t think the draft hauls are really close. We’ve had 11 firsts and 9 2nds in the past 6 years. They’ve had 10 and 15.

• 1 Dahlin - 4 Raymond
  • 1 Power - 6 Seider
  • 8 Quinn - 8 Kasper
  • 9 Savoie - 9 Rasmussen
  • 14 Rosen - 15 Cossa
  • 28 Kulich - 30 Veleno
  • 34 Peterka - 36 Buim
  • 41 Leinonen - 40 James
  • 53 Kisakov - 42 Gibson
  • — 51 Neiderbach
  • — 52 Buchelnikov
  • — 54 Mastrosimone
  • — 55 Hanas
  • — 60 Johansson

Sabres 7, 9, 13, 28, 34 picks stand out to me. I also think Power is better than Edvinsson. 

Detroit's issue is they are a full development year behind Buffalo. Next year they should be loading the lineup with 2-3 rookies. 

8 hours ago, dudacek said:

• 1 Dahlin - 4 Raymond
  • 1 Power - 6 Seider
  • 8 Quinn - 8 Kasper
  • 9 Savoie - 9 Rasmussen
  • 14 Rosen - 15 Cossa
  • 28 Kulich - 30 Veleno
  • 34 Peterka - 36 Buim
  • 41 Leinonen - 40 James
  • 53 Kisakov - 42 Gibson
  • — 51 Neiderbach
  • — 52 Buchelnikov
  • — 54 Mastrosimone
  • — 55 Hanas
  • — 60 Johansson

I like the Sabres drafting much more then Detroit’s

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

Laid out like that Detroit's prospect pool would be awesome for a team that's already established. It definitely lacks what you'd want for a team in their situation 

We have collected this very nice supporting cast of solid core pieces for, erm, Dylan Larkin

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Sabres 7, 9, 13, 28, 34 picks stand out to me. I also think Power is better than Edvinsson. 

Detroit's issue is they are a full development year behind Buffalo. Next year they should be loading the lineup with 2-3 rookies. 

Last year, 5 of their 25 picks were NHL regulars. Meanwhile, 8 of the Sabres 20 have hit and a 9th prospect-turned NHLer, Krebs was added through trade.

Despite that, the cream of our next wave: Levi/Benson/Savoie/Kulich/Östlund/Rosen still stacks up favourably to their Eidvinsson/Danielson/Kasper/Cossa/Sandin-Pelikka

But another issue, like @Randall Flagg points out, is star power: we have Dahlin and Thompson who have broken out as legitimate studs, Skinner and Tuch who are close, and Power and Cozens who legitimately look like they are coming.

They have Larkin, who is close and Seider who no one doubts. 

Not only have we hit on a higher percentage but overall, their ceilings look shinier.

Now there is still time for Eidvinsson and Raymond to turn into perennial all-stars, but that is equally true of Levi and Quinn.

The develop part matters just as much as the draft and you need a bit of luck as well.

So far Detroit seems to be falling short.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.