2023 Free Agent Frenzy (Non-Sabres)

Eleven

9 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

If ol sug packs had the same battle as I do now with geese I can relate to the madness lol

If you're over the age of 3, you hate those evil rat birds.

But anyway, I'd say back to free agency talk, but it's pretty much done at this point.  Are we even past the point of teams loading up on AHL bodies?

Tanner Jeannot signs 2 year $2,665,000 AAV extension and avoids arbitration.  He will be an UFA after contract expires.

So Tampa trades a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th rd pick for Jeannot, and then only signs him to a 2 year extension?? Doesn't sound like very good asset management to me.  

1 hour ago, sweetlou said:

Tanner Jeannot signs 2 year $2,665,000 AAV extension and avoids arbitration.  He will be an UFA after contract expires.

So Tampa trades a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th rd pick for Jeannot, and then only signs him to a 2 year extension?? Doesn't sound like very good asset management to me.  

I still can not get over this one.  They traded an entire draft worth of assets for Tanner Jeannot.  This should go down in history as one of the more outrageous trades in NHL history, but it won’t because NHL people have a hard time making a big deal over, or drawing attention to anything (except the Toronto Maple Leafs, whatever they do is automatically a huge deal).

In the NFL the NO Saints traded an entire draft class of picks for Ricky Williams, and that is ingrained as part of the league’s history mostly because it’s viewed as folly even though Williams was great.  And this was a record breaking college player who was basically a lock to be a star performing in the NFL.  He wasn’t Tanner Jeannot.

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Curt said:

I still can not get over this one.  They traded an entire draft worth of assets for Tanner Jeannot.  This should go down in history as one of the more outrageous trades in NHL history, but it won’t because NHL people have a hard time making a big deal over, or drawing attention to anything (except the Toronto Maple Leafs, whatever they do is automatically a huge deal).

In the NFL the NO Saints traded an entire draft class of picks for Ricky Williams, and that is ingrained as part of the league’s history mostly because it’s viewed as folly even though Williams was great.  And this was a record breaking college player who was basically a lock to be a star performing in the NFL.  He wasn’t Tanner Jeannot.

As you seem to be saying: Very often, the smartest deal a GM can make is not to make a deal. What you don't do is sometimes a wiser approach to take than what you could have done. The cardinal rule in medicine is: Do no harm.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Curt said:

Overpay for sure.

Now they sign him to save face and stay in the arms race with the Leafs (Reaves) and Bruins (Lucic). I like tough hockey but those guys will end up being liabilities, especially Reaves for three years. They would’ve been better to keep Schenn as a shut down D who can drop the mitts.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Curt said:

The craziest part of the Ricky Williams deal is that if he was just very good, not game changer great like Ditka thought, the trade wouldn’t have been all-time bad.  Williams was an interesting cat, and was never motivated or aspired to be elite.  In hindsight, if the Saints didn’t finish 3-13 and the next years first turned into #3 overall (LaVar Arrington) it would have just seen as swing and miss trade.  And like the Williams deal, this trade will depend on what Jeannot becomes in Tampa.  If he is Hagel 2.0 or Tom Wilson for the Caps then it’s a win.  Agreed he was a flop down the stretch and in the playoffs, and the assets given up to attain look bad, but Tampa is Cap strapped and this deal keeps Jeannot hungry for a real contract when the cap goes up.  The Sabres signed Victor, as a 40 point player with significant downside in comparison to Jeannot on two separate occasions to contracts of $3m and $4.5m. So $2.6m doesn’t seem bad at all for a player seemingly built for the playoffs.  

7 hours ago, sweetlou said:

EXCELLENT. Perfect contract length for us to trade for him at the deadline in a year and half for our playoff push and the start of their rebuild. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/16/2023 at 7:46 AM, Curt said:

Tampa knows their clock is ticking and were in total "win now" mode. It was a total overpayment, but they aren't concerned about kids that might help 3-4 years down the road. It was short-sighted, but the future isn't their concern. I'm good with it , though...I hate Tampa so it's gonna be glorious watching them slam into the wall at 100 mph.

On 7/16/2023 at 11:35 AM, Broken Ankles said:

The craziest part of the Ricky Williams deal is that if he was just very good, not game changer great like Ditka thought, the trade wouldn’t have been all-time bad.  Williams was an interesting cat, and was never motivated or aspired to be elite.  In hindsight, if the Saints didn’t finish 3-13 and the next years first turned into #3 overall (LaVar Arrington) it would have just seen as swing and miss trade.  And like the Williams deal, this trade will depend on what Jeannot becomes in Tampa.  If he is Hagel 2.0 or Tom Wilson for the Caps then it’s a win.  Agreed he was a flop down the stretch and in the playoffs, and the assets given up to attain look bad, but Tampa is Cap strapped and this deal keeps Jeannot hungry for a real contract when the cap goes up.  The Sabres signed Victor, as a 40 point player with significant downside in comparison to Jeannot on two separate occasions to contracts of $3m and $4.5m. So $2.6m doesn’t seem bad at all for a player seemingly built for the playoffs.  

It's funny looking at that deal in retrospect given the view of RBs in today's NFL. By most any measure, Williams was a mediocre back in NO. Yeah, he played on crap teams (hindered further by missing out on an entire draft), but he never averaged over 4 ypc in his 3 years and missed 30% of his first 2 seasons to injury. He really only had the one elite year in the NFL (2002) and even that was due to him essentially being Miami's ENTIRE offense. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.