2023 Free Agent Frenzy (Non-Sabres)

Eleven

11 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

2 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Yeah, and from what I'm seeing, Detroit fans aren't thrilled.

Their fans might not like it, but they are in a tough spot.

I’m not really sure what else Detroit is supposed to do.  They are still going to be pretty bad.  They need to sign players just to fill out their roster.  It’s not as if these signings are going to blocking a bunch of their prospects.  They don’t really have the prospects to block.  All they can do is keep plugging along, trying to collect extra draft picks and draft good prospects.

The only other thing they could do is sign trash players instead of barely competent ones, and try to  guarantee themselves a top 4 pick for multiple years in a row.  I’m thinking that Detroit wants to retain some semblance of respectability though.  Doing a true tank for multiple years is demoralizing.

31 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I think they plan on being a playoff team this year. 

Besides compher/kostin, i don't like any of those signings.   This would piss me off too, its like we will try to make the playoffs but we can turn most of these guys into trade deadline rentals.

7 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Besides compher/kostin, i don't like any of those signings.   This would piss me off too, its like we will try to make the playoffs but we can turn most of these guys into trade deadline rentals.

kostin is alright he be nice for buffalos 4th I like that he hits everything that moves.

38 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I don't think they make it. I think Columbus has a better chance. 

I don’t think so either.  I doubt Yzerman truly believes that they will either.

It just seems like the Red Wings feel that it’s better to continue to try to win by using their cap space, while also accumulating extra draft picks and building a prospect pool, instead purposely tanking as hard as they can.

2 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

This isn't me being negative but for buffalo to make the playoffs they need to have a 1B goalie. 

But like you said the roster isn't complete 

You state this as fact, but let's look at it subjectively:

Last season, with 70+ games of the 3 headed hydra goalie situation, they still missed the playoffs by just 1 game. They were a very young team still finding their way.

Fast forward to October. All of that young talent is a year older with a full year under their belt playing together. They have improved their blue line with Clifton and brought in another veteran who has recent Stanley Cup experience. They're looking at a full season of Devon Levi who in his 7 game sample size looked much better than either Comrie/UPL, or Anderson most nights. And it wasn't just against powderpuffs, he beat some very good teams.

I'm not saying I don't want KA to add a 1B, I absolutely do; but failing to do so doesn't torpedo our playoff aspirations at all, IMO. Unless Levi struggles badly, I think we get in with him as the rest of the roster continues to build on last season's work.

But, all that said, I'd be way more comfortable with a solid veteran 1B as the above doesn't take into account injuries.

Edited by HumanSlinky39
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, HumanSlinky39 said:

Last season, with 70+ games of the 3 headed hydra goalie situation, they still missed the playoffs by just 1 game. They were a very young team still finding their way.

Fast forward to October. All of that young talent is a year older with a full year under their belt playing together. They have improved their blue line with Clifton and brought in another veteran who has recent Stanley Cup experience. They're looking at a full season of Devon Levi who in his 7 game sample size looked much better than either Comrie/UPL, or Anderson most nights. And it wasn't just against powderpuffs, he beat some very good teams.

I'm not saying I don't want KA to add a 1B, I absolutely do; but failing to do so doesn't torpedo our playoff aspirations at all, IMO. Unless Levi struggles badly, I think we get in with him as the rest of the roster continues to build on last season's work.

But, all that said, I'd be way more comfortable with a solid veteran 1B as the above doesn't take into account injuries.

Buffalo shouldn't put that much pressure on a rookie they need a vet goalie that can talk to Levi when things get rough.

I can't remember who pointed it out but MAF would be perfect for buffalo 

• Like (+1) 4

13 minutes ago, HumanSlinky39 said:

Levi didn’t play until the last handful of games, which if we didn’t lose half our top6 to injuries would’ve likely been all wins. 

27 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

If it wasn't for Eichel he never woulda got a serious look from anyone.

True.  But that doesn't change the fact he was the Sabres 2nd best C his last season in Buffalo.

Success in large part comes down to preparation to be ready for when you luck into an opportunity.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.