2023 Free Agent Frenzy (Non-Sabres)

Eleven

One on the one hand I get what Pittsburgh is doing. Crosby and Malkin and Letang are all around for a few more years so go out and bolster with Reilly Smith and Graves and such. On the other hand, do they not see the writing and injuries on the wall? Anyhoo, they didn't make the playoffs last season and they're not going to this year.

Hey Pittsburgh. Your time has passed; this decade is our decade. So you should give us all of your drugs.

• Haha (+1) 1

Compher to Detroit bothers me. They weren't really better (or a playoff threat) prior to this but now maybe they are. 

The one that really bothered me was Korpisalo to Ottawa. If we'd signed him instead I'd be all gung ho about playoffs next year (with Clifton added as well) but now Ottawa gets the biggest thing they lacked and our future is dependent on the rookie. It will be interesting to see which team comes out on top. 

Bruins should fall. Just a question of how far. Dubas is showing how bad of a GM he always was. Pittsburgh will fall. Leafs have issues to say the least but likely still playoff level. It won't be easy, unless Levi is a phenom. 

Just now, Brawndo said:

What the hell is Yzerman’s Plan? 

Just now, LGR4GM said:

He has no center depth and is trying to buy it. 

Copp is a good 3C. Compher is a good 3C. Larkin is a low-end 1C/very good 2C. If you get each of them playing at the level of a 2C, then you're in good shape. That's like the Sabres rolling something like Peca-Brown-Barnes at center. Kasper waiting in the background...  That's not bad.

But...  to have those 3 all signed forever at $20M? That's... that's probably going to turn out pretty bad. Or at least pretty buyout-y.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

What the hell is Yzerman’s Plan? 

I think he's smart. He's constantly trying to balance win now with draft for the future. Look how many picks he had in the draft. He won the draft imo but unlike Adams he believes in filling holes now and having veteran leadership rather than relying on the rookies. He's adding pieces, but without compromising the future. It's a solid plan. 

3 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Compher to Detroit bothers me. They weren't really better (or a playoff threat) prior to this but now maybe they are. 

The one that really bothered me was Korpisalo to Ottawa. If we'd signed him instead I'd be all gung ho about playoffs next year (with Clifton added as well) but now Ottawa gets the biggest thing they lacked and our future is dependent on the rookie. It will be interesting to see which team comes out on top. 

Bruins should fall. Just a question of how far. Dubas is showing how bad of a GM he always was. Pittsburgh will fall. Leafs have issues to say the least but likely still playoff level. It won't be easy, unless Levi is a phenom. 

Korpisalo is wildly inconsistent. He was not someone I ever wanted here,personally.

• Disagree 1

Just now, DarthEbriate said:

Copp is a good 3C. Compher is a good 3C. Larkin is a low-end 1C/very good 2C. If you get each of them playing at the level of a 2C, then you're in good shape. That's like the Sabres rolling something like Peca-Brown-Barnes at center. Kasper waiting in the background...  That's not bad.

But...  to have those 3 all signed forever at $20M? That's... that's probably going to turn out pretty bad. Or at least pretty buyout-y.

Considering Buffalo has a real 1c and a burgeoning 1c or really good 2c at 14.15ish mill, yea it's a little pricey. Still, it might work for them. 

2 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Dubas is showing how bad of a GM he always was. Pittsburgh will fall.

Dubas' moves say he was brought in and told, "You will not rebuild. Make a run with Crosby/Malkin/Letang." He's going to crash and burn it and get fired when they finally do concede to rebuild. They say it's quite a thing to see. We can all get our popcorn to watch.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, HumanSlinky39 said:

Korpisalo is wildly inconsistent. He was not someone I ever wanted here,personally.

Disagree. He had injury problems and that made him seem inconsistent but he was a solid goalie after that. We shall see, but I really felt we needed a veteran goalie to back up Levi or even make Levi the back up. 

Not too late to offer sheet Swayman............

4 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Disagree. He had injury problems and that made him seem inconsistent but he was a solid goalie after that. We shall see, but I really felt we needed a veteran goalie to back up Levi or even make Levi the back up. 

Not too late to offer sheet Swayman............

Yes, injuries are the other issue with him. Another reason to pass. 

Even when healthy, he was pretty up and down in Columbus. If he could have been had on a 2 year deal, maybe I'd jump on board, but at 5x4, I'm okay with him going to Ottawa. I don't think he necessarily makes them much better than Talbot.

9 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Considering Buffalo has a real 1c and a burgeoning 1c or really good 2c at 14.15ish mill, yea it's a little pricey. Still, it might work for them. 

I think it definitely gives them a boost the next 2 seasons. Wil that be enough against Toronto, Florida, Tampa, Buffalo, and Ottawa? And Boston if Bergeron/Krejci come back? Beyond that, I think it could easily become a detriment and quickly.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.