Rd 1, Pick 13: Zach Benson

SDS

7 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

This is Jeff Skinner’s Replacement on the Top Line 

...or at least a worthy competitor of JJP's for that spot.

6 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Whoa.  That highlight reel is awesome.

5 minutes ago, Sabres73 said:

He comes from a family of carnies - interesting. I'm going on record for liking this kid after seeing a few highlights. And he played on the same line as Savoie, so that factors in.

Wait -- traveling carnival hucksters?  Really?

• Shocked 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I'm not going to crap on this kid.  I'm going to root for him.

But part of "thou shalt not block young talent" includes not putting the young talent behind blocks to begin with! Benson is behind about 10 other young guys.  I suppose the Sabres can trade one or two of them now. 

This is where I am at. I really like this pick, but it feels like we have 10 top 6 F prospects.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Did you watch the games ? Just curious 

I think I watched 4 total of the WHL Final. I only made it to one in person in Seattle.

In the game I attended in person, Savoie's skill was obvious, but Benson was better. Seattle just negated everything they did except for a pretty 4-on-4 goal when the game was already well in hand.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, nfreeman said:

...or at least a worthy competitor of JJP's for that spot.

Whoa.  That highlight reel is awesome.

Wait -- traveling carnival hucksters?  Really?

That's what they said on Sportsnet, and they showed photo  of some carnival rides. They travelled across the country a lot. I like the character in the family of this kid.

• Like (+1) 2

I am excited to see Benson (and Savoie likely) come to Wenatchee this season. That means they'll be in Seattle and Everett pretty often and I can get a better sense of their games and growth. Edit: Seattle also won't be the juggernaut they were this season.

Edited by DarthEbriate
  • Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Sorry, is there a rule that you can’t have 2 guys under 5’10 on your team? 

Certainly not.  But How many of Quinn, Savoie, Kulich, Östlund, Rosen, Rousek, Weissbach, Kisakov, Peterka, and Benson can the team realistically use?

It has nothing to do with size and everything to do with overstock.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Buffalonill said:

I'm sorry I know he's gonna be a good player but it's a f****** joke  For the old generation that have been suffering .

I don't even know if I'm gonna be here in 3 years I drink so much 

Well I hope you're here and cut down on the drink.

• Thanks (+1) 1

Oh no… He’s not a 6‘6“ power forward… He’s going to suck for his entire career 😂

but seriously…  going to be a little water bug. Is there thinking he’s going to be similar to a Tyler Ennis? Or even better? Who are his comparables?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Eleven said:

Certainly not.  But How many of Quinn, Savoie, Kulich, Östlund, Rosen, Rousek, Weissbach, Kisakov, Peterka, and Benson can the team realistically use?

It gives a nice bit of redundancy and allows us to move a guy like Rosen or Östlund without worry

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Eleven said:

Every single one of them are quality assets.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

I think I watched 4 total of the WHL Final. I only made it to one in person in Seattle.

In the game I attended in person, Savoie's skill was obvious, but Benson was better. Seattle just negated everything they did except for a pretty 4-on-4 goal when the game was already well in hand.

I paid for the series on CHL tv.  Hope I still have access to rewatch    I thought that Savoie and Benson had a lot of good moments, just that the Seattle goalie had better 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.