Flyers working on a Carter Hart Trade

Brawndo

Hart's better than you guys think. I saw a few Flyers games this year where he was the only thing keeping them in it, and also keep in mind Risto was part of the D in front of him. That alone drops any goalie's stats. 

Philly won't want UPL. They have Errson coming. maybe they want their 2nd back. plus?

Could we possibly be looking at Peterson though? Philly retains salary maybe? I wouldn't, but if Adams just wants a new back up to Levi it's possible. 

Edited by PerreaultForever
  • dislike 1

18 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Hart's better than you guys think. I saw a few Flyers games this year where he was the only thing keeping them in it, and also keep in mind Risto was part of the D in front of him. That alone drops any goalie's stats. 

Philly won't want UPL. They have Errson coming. maybe they want their 2nd back. plus?

Could we possibly be looking at Peterson though? Philly retains salary maybe? I wouldn't, but if Adams just wants a new back up to Levi it's possible. 

Petersen exemplifies “not wanting to be here”.  He literally did that in 2017 by not signing.  Zero chance. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Broken Ankles said:

Petersen exemplifies “not wanting to be here”.  He literally did that in 2017 by not signing.  Zero chance. 

Well things change, people change. This team is a different team and his career is in a different place so you never know but as I said, I wouldn't. makes zero sense for the Flyers to have Peterson AND Hart though. Something will give at some point. 

3 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Well things change, people change. This team is a different team and his career is in a different place so you never know but as I said, I wouldn't. makes zero sense for the Flyers to have Peterson AND Hart though. Something will give at some point. 

I get it, Petersen rejected another leadership team, but Terry was the common denominator, and Adams as we know is extremely loyal to TPegs.  Plus, Cal is just not good.  The Kings D wasn’t bad this year and Petersen had a really awful stretch of games.  And the year prior was pretty bad too.  Hart could improve the team.  It’s more probable than not Petersen wouldn’t.

• Agree 1

Goalie valuations more so than any other position seem to be all over the map.

It seems to be an emotional combination of your first impression of a guy, what you saw the last time you watched him, whatever you want to make of his numbers, and your interpretation of his situation, filtered through a lack of context in what goalies actually get paid, or traded for. I put less faith in what the internet says about goalies than on any other position, because I don’t think fans really understand the position well, myself included.

I look at Carter Hart as a talent who lost his game for a bit but has bounced back to be a legitimate 2nd-tier NHL starter and who is still young enough that he can be “your guy”. I wouldn’t give up 13 for him, but I would be happy to trade pick 39 and 45 for him. 

You’ve got him under contract for 1 year and under team control for 2. There’s a decent chance they could decide he is their guy, and a good chance they can trade him for a decent return if they don’t.

Short term he is a better fit than most and long term we keep our options open.

For the right price this would be a savvy move, but I imagine there will be plenty of suitors. A lot of teams are looking for “their guy” and not a lot of 24-year-olds have his resume.

Edited by dudacek

I'm not impressed with Hart overall. While it is true he played some decent netminding behind a terrible Flyers defensive Corp play wise, I'm not looking at him through my own prism of what the team needs in net, but I'm trying to look through Adam's prism.

With Levi needing a veteran mentor or, example setter? At 24, I don't see Hart as that guy. Is it age alone? No, it's also caliber of success rate, both in win/loss as well as leadership in the crease dept. I just am not impressed with the former and given Philly's crease guard depth, don't see it in the latter. I'm definitely over thinking it, but I'd rather my attempt at ESP of Adam's plan be over thought as opposed to under I guess.

16 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Yes.  In fact, had we had Carter Hart in net for the 51 games started by Comrie and UPL last season at Hart's .907 save% we'd have allowed 30 less goals against and we'd have easily made the playoffs with a regular season differential of 26. 

It doesn't work like that. You can't predict results based on save %. You literally have to look at every goal allowed to determine whether it came about from goalie error, defensive error, superior shooting or just plain old dumb puck luck.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Agree 1

32 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

It doesn't work like that. You can't predict results based on save %. You literally have to look at every goal allowed to determine whether it came about from goalie error, defensive error, superior shooting or just plain old dumb puck luck.

No you don’t. This is a big enough statistical difference to realize that it would have swung enough games in our favor to make us a playoff team.  No team with a +26 differential has missed the playoffs in decades as far as I can tell.  All you have to do is look at the Sabres record when receiving 900 Save % or better last year and look an Anderson’s record with a .905 save % to illustrate how much an impact better goaltending would have made.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

No you don’t. This is a big enough statistical difference to realize that it would have swung enough games in our favor to make us a playoff team.  No team with a +26 differential has missed the playoffs in decades as far as I can tell.  All you have to do is look at the Sabres record when receiving 900 Save % or better last year and look an Anderson’s record with a .905 save % to illustrate how much an impact better goaltending would have made.

Do you think NHL teams make personnel decisions that way?

I think your opinion is swayed by not seeing Hart playing day in and day out, like with the Sabres.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

30 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Do you think NHL teams make personnel decisions that way?

Yes and No.  Clearly, KA wants better goaltending than he received last season.  He has stated numerous times when he acquires players that he wants youngish players with term that will fit into his locker room and can grow with the team.  Who fits that description better Hart or Hellebuyck?  Modern GMs certainly evaluate whether or not the player's past performance, his analytics if you will, will upgrade the roster they have.  They also evaluate whether that player's contract will work under the cap and of course, how much it will cost to acquire that player.  

The Comrie signing was clearly done will all the above factors in mind.  His analytics were good, he is by all accounts an excellent person, he was the right age, and had upside potential.  He also cost nothing to acquire other than contract $ and his contract wasn't very large given the risk of his inexperience.  

Hart is a very similar case.  His analytics are an upgrade over UPL and Comrie.  He is the right age, his contract is reasonable and comes with 2 years of control.  I've seen no reports of him being a locker room problem, he is vastly more experienced than any player on the roster and has significant upside.  Given that KA is also going to upgrade the D group, acquiring Hart makes a lot of sense.  The cost of acquisition is the biggest hurdle. 

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

29 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Yes and No.  Clearly, KA wants better goaltending than he received last season.  He has stated numerous times when he acquires players that he wants youngish players with term that will fit into his locker room and can grow with the team.  Who fits that description better Hart or Hellebuyck?  Modern GMs certainly evaluate whether or not the player's past performance, his analytics if you will, will upgrade the roster they have.  They also evaluate whether that player's contract will work under the cap and of course, how much it will cost to acquire that player.  

The Comrie signing was clearly done will all the above factors in mind.  His analytics were good, he is by all accounts an excellent person, he was the right age, and had upside potential.  He also cost nothing to acquire other than contract $ and his contract wasn't very large given the risk of his inexperience.  

Hart is a very similar case.  His analytics are an upgrade over UPL and Comrie.  He is the right age, his contract is reasonable and comes with 2 years of control.  I've seen no reports of him being a locker room problem, he is vastly more experienced than any player on the roster and has significant upside.  Given that KA is also going to upgrade the D group, acquiring Hart makes a lot of sense.  The cost of acquisition is the biggest hurdle. 

So are we done with Comrie after what, 7-8 games?

3 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

You are right, but more than likely the Sabres would have won a few more games and let in a few less goals.

5 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

If Carter Hart was coming in… Who would you prefer going out if KA had to choose between UPL or Comrie? And why?

It's so hard to say. Comrie played well in Winnipeg and was injured most of his time here. UPL had shown flashes but has technique issues that could be corrected. And of course every Sabres goalie played behind, at times, poor defenses. So for me it's a coin flip. I'll go with whoever they decide to move.

5 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Please

Please what? Do you feel like Comrie played enough without injury to be properly evaluated?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.