Flyers working on a Carter Hart Trade

Brawndo

3 hours ago, JohnC said:

Within this WGR link is an 18 minute segment with Marty Biron talking about the Sabre goaltending and the possible trade market. There are a number of options which include staying pat. My impression is that Marty isn't that enamored with Hart. At the end of the discussion Marty indicates he's more supportive of Comrie than UPL as a backup option.

https://www.audacy.com/wgr550/authors/howard-and-jeremy-show

That’s not a new take rom Marty and it didn’t waver despite the results this year.

Marty knows a helluvalot more about goaltending than me, but he generally seems more enamoured with how a goalie approaches his craft than how many pucks he stops.

He’s not the only “goalie guru” I’ve seen praising Comrie’s technical approach.

Edited by dudacek
  • Thanks (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, dudacek said:

That’s not a new take and it didn’t waver despite the results this year.

Marty knows a helluvalot more about goaltending than me, but he generally seems more enamoured with how a goalie approaches his craft than how many pucks he stops.

He has also never been a big fan of UPL.  

Assuming for argument's sake that Levi is the real deal (I have come to believe he is), what do the Sabres really need to truly contend over the next 2-3 years while Levi gains enough NHL experience to be considered an elite No. 1.  Sure Helle would be ideal for next season, but his one year deal and likely need of a long term extension vote him off the island.  Hart has two years left, is a proven young goalie, and should be better on a better team.  However, Danny's stupid asking price likely votes him off the island.   What they need is a goalie who can play up to 40-45 games who can give us a .905 to .910 save % night most nights and that we can get under contract for 2-3 years.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

14 hours ago, RochesterExpat said:

Sorry for the lack of clarity. I meant recency bias toward a lower SV% (e.g. closer to .900 than .915) make his career numbers listed out on a season basis look better than they are. His real numbers for 3 of his 5 NHL seasons are below league average compared to goalies with 20 or 25 starts (sorry, I can’t remember which number I pulled earlier). This season he was above average. I didn’t mean to suggest otherwise.

The trend over the last decade is lower SV%. It’s why numbers in a vacuum are meaningless. In 2014-2015, for goalies with 25 or more starts, only 3 of 46 were below .900 (6.5%). The 23rd spot was .916. In 2022-2023, 19 of 53 goalies (35.8%) were under .900. Instead of being a middle of the pack 23rd of 46, a .916 this season was 10th of 53.

For the record, 19 of the 46 goalies in 2014-2015 had negative GSAx (41.3%). In 2022-2023, 22 of 53 goalies had negative GSAx (41.5%). That is one of the reasons GSAx is a generally better metric for this type of comparison.

You still didn’t explain which 3 seasons are below league average for sv% for goalies who started 25 games - I checked and 3 of the 5 are above average, not below 

Edited by Thorny

56 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Now Danny is just being greedy

Like I said, he’s not getting moved for a 2nd. We don’t have to like their price or pay it, but the proposals being suggested were never in the ballpark 

6 minutes ago, Thorny said:

You still didn’t explain which 3 seasons are below league average for sv% for goalies who started 25 games - I checked and 3 of the 5 are above average, not below 

Not sure, but one of you may be referring to average while the other is using median.

20 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Not sure, but one of you may be referring to average while the other is using median.

It’s possible - he was certainly well above mid-pack in the sv% rankings in 3/5 seasons, but I didn’t add up each sv% of all the goalies and average it. As far as I know for skaters when comparing points we’re always listing their ranks among their peers (was top 30 in scoring, etc) and not adding up league points and averaging it out. Technically it’s median but that’s the number id want to use anyways 

Edited by Thorny

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

That’s not a new take and it didn’t waver despite the results this year.

I'm a Marty fan not just for his knowledge of the mechanics of goaltending but his knowledge about the league in general. He has pointed out on a number of occasions that the stats of a goalie has a lot to do with the unit playing in front of him. That is why I have been more concerned about upgrading our blueline and team defense in general. As @LGR4GMpointed out in a couple of posts the team buckled down and played a tighter style of hockey in our end of the season run. That shows that they have the ability to do so. 

I don't know what the GM is going to do with the goalie position. As I've said before I'm more inclined to think that he won't be making the changes that a lot of members are hoping he will make. We shall see. I'm also confident that @Thornywill continue to boo my takes on this issue. 😄 Although I disagree with him, I do understand his well-reasoned position.

https://www.hockey-reference.com/leagues/stats.html

At least by way of the average league sv% numbers here, his marks were above average 3/5 times. Maybe there’s a more extensive list that again breaks it down to, still average over median but narrowed down to 25 game starters im missing 

C3052AE3-A361-47C3-B19B-CDC0A0C16904.thumb.jpeg.15f6e0b9368da54c57e5e3bd49a2c458.jpeg

Hart’s marks were 

.907 (+)

.905 (-)

.877 (-)

.917 (+)

.914 (+)

Edited by Thorny

22 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I'm a Marty fan not just for his knowledge of the mechanics of goaltending but his knowledge about the league in general. He has pointed out on a number of occasions that the stats of a goalie has a lot to do with the unit playing in front of him. That is why I have been more concerned about upgrading our blueline and team defense in general. As @LGR4GMpointed out in a couple of posts the team buckled down and played a tighter style of hockey in our end of the season run. That shows that they have the ability to do so. 

I don't know what the GM is going to do with the goalie position. As I've said before I'm more inclined to think that he won't be making the changes that a lot of members are hoping he will make. We shall see. I'm also confident that @Thornywill continue to boo my takes on this issue. 😄 Although I disagree with him, I do understand his well-reasoned position.

I actually dislike the “reaction” system in its entirety and wish it wasn’t a feature, at all. But with it being here, it needs to be used 

32 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Nothing wrong with Briere publicly saying what he’s looking to get. He knows he won’t get it. It’s like lawyers who sue for 3 million, but they settle for 175K and a gift card to PF Changs.

That's basically what Kevyn did in the Eichel trade.  The price was 4 1st round equivs.  He ended up getting Tuch, Krebs, Östlund and second rounder.  Negotiation is a subtle art and you can't blame Briere for trying.

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

If I were Briere I won’t be moving a quality 24 year old goalie either, but does Hart want to go through a rebuild getting shelled every night?  

He's 24.  A good rebuild, in contrast to reshaping after a tank, can take just 2-3 years.  If Briere throws 7x7 at him, he's either a fool not to take it or has no faith in Briere (which is ok, Briere is a rookie).

5 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

That's basically what Kevyn did in the Eichel trade.  The price was 4 1st round equivs.  He ended up getting Tuch, Krebs, Östlund and second rounder.  Negotiation is a subtle art and you can't blame Briere for trying.

So he got very close to his price 

Equivalent hold to Danny B’s asking price of 2 firsts would be a first and a second 

Edited by Thorny

1 minute ago, Eleven said:

He's 24.  A good rebuild, in contrast to reshaping after a tank, can take just 2-3 years.  If Briere throws 7x7 at him, he's either a fool not to take it or has no faith in Briere (which is ok, Briere is a rookie).

or doesn't want to be in Philly or wants to play for a contender asap.

8 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I actually dislike the “reaction” system in its entirety and wish it wasn’t a feature, at all. But with it being here, it needs to be used 

I agree with you that the "reaction system" often doesn't capture the substance and tenor of the disagreement. Most often, I'm more interested in responses when there is a disagreement. You can get a perspective that challenges your view and make you reconsider your position. The goalie issue is a topic where it is not too difficult to understand and respect those who take a different position. 

3 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Lance always talks with an aura as if he has insiders, but I'm not sure I've ever seen him break news or predict or say anything interesting. 

Lance “Chad” Lysowski has been skirting by for far too long 

Edited by Thorny

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.