Calgary Flames have fired Daryl Sutter

Brawndo

• Brawndo changed the title to Calgary Flames have fired Daryl Sutter
23 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

Another dinosaur That shouldn't be coaching anymore

Calgary likes those guys...since the year 2000, among others they have had:  Brian Sutter, Brent Sutter, 2 stints by Daryll Sutter, and throw in a Mike Keenan stint there too in Calgary. 

Then there was Bill Peters who had a stint there who had accusations of making racist comments and punching a player(s) during games. 

The Calgary organization sure does like its 'old school hockey' guys.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Agree 1

I tried searching for a particular comment, but I'm not terribly adept at such and can't find it. Or maybe I'm imagining this, but I recall someone stating they thought the Flames would be less inclined to take a deal that would include VO as part of a package for Hanifin if Sutter was the coach. Whether true or not (and I suppose we'll have to wait and see who replaces Sutter), I am curious what players become available on the Flames roster.

46 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I tried searching for a particular comment, but I'm not terribly adept at such and can't find it. Or maybe I'm imagining this, but I recall someone stating they thought the Flames would be less inclined to take a deal that would include VO as part of a package for Hanifin if Sutter was the coach. Whether true or not (and I suppose we'll have to wait and see who replaces Sutter), I am curious what players become available on the Flames roster.

A few players said they would not return if Sutter remained. I didn’t hear any specific names but I wouldn’t be surprised if Huberdeau was one of them after having a bad season by his standards.

A new GM and coach may keep their roster in tow or make a major shake up. We will have to wait and see who is hired nd what kind of teams they like.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, French Collection said:

A few players said they would not return if Sutter remained. I didn’t hear any specific names but I wouldn’t be surprised if Huberdeau was one of them after having a bad season by his standards.

A new GM and coach may keep their roster in tow or make a major shake up. We will have to wait and see who is hired nd what kind of teams they like.

Lindholm and Backlund were two of them

4 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Kevyn should be on the phone RIGHT NOW!*

*this post is a parody of reactions whenever an established coach gets fired.

Actually, I'm curious if the Calgary Asst. Coaches are any good?  Anybody worth considering that can be an upgrade to our existing asst. coaching staff?

2 hours ago, French Collection said:

Didn't Huberduberdeau sign an 8 year contract upon getting traded to Calgary?  Can't see him having much leverage to get out the door unless he was willing to go scorched earth in an attempt to get out the door and just don't see him being THAT guy.  Guess it's moot now.

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Didn't Huberduberdeau sign an 8 year contract upon getting traded to Calgary?  Can't see him having much leverage to get out the door unless he was willing to go scorched earth in an attempt to get out the door and just don't see him being THAT guy.  Guess it's moot now.

He did sign, before he had played a game for Sutter. 100+ point player gets 55 points while Tkachuk gets even better with his ex-teammates.
He is older but can certainly flourish again with a different coach.

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

I kind of feel bad for him. Then I think for a bit and then I don’t. 

3 hours ago, LTS said:

Word... a word.  That's about right for Sutter's media style.

I loved his press conferences. He's past his prime as a coach.

Yep. Definitely gonna miss his pressers. He was one of a kind.

36 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Weird. When they fired the GM it sounded like they were giving Sutter the green light to shape and mold the team. Guess they changed their minds and I guess that also likely means a huge rebuild won't be happening either. 

Wuh? Isn’t this just another part of their rebuild? Johny Hockey, Tkachuk gone. Who else?

21 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Wuh? Isn’t this just another part of their rebuild? Johny Hockey, Tkachuk gone. Who else?

idk, but I don't think they know what they are doing. You bring a guy like Sutter in you're committing to hard nosed physical close checking hockey. If not why bring him in? So now you fire the GM, presumably blamed for losing Tkachuk and/or signing Huberdeau long term or other bad moves and then you boot the coach so that plan's gone and it's on to some new plan. Maybe they tear down and rebuild but it feels like the players vs. Sutter and the players won out. 

I don't think it's a coincidence that Florida with Huberdeau crapped out in the playoffs and Florida with Tkachuk did not. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, French Collection said:

The should trade everyone and tank. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.