The Johnson watch has started

Turbo44

1 hour ago, Xzy89c said:

one scenario not mentioned is sabres will not let him burn a year by bringing him up to sabres this year. A nice way of saying we really want the draft pick. 

Indirectly, maybe. I *assume* the Sabres told him he's not playing a game while the Sabres are in contention (as by a thread as that is right now). Does the ELC slide if he signs but doesn't touch the ice? That might be the decision. "You can sign with Rochester right now and have a playoff run, or you can wait to see if the Sabres are eliminated and then maybe you play the last game". I don't blame the guy if he's trying to maximize his career by knocking a year off the ELC. As a "borderline" NHL guy, you might only get a few seasons to set yourself up for the rest of your life. I don't think if he goes the UFA route he can make more money on the first contract, all the teams can make the max offer, and it's his choice on who that is. The only benefit signing with the Sabres (other than the thin depth of the D) is they can knock a year off (if they play him???).

12 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

So no news means good news? 

I'll give it a 0.5 % chance he signs now

Wow.  I would think he is weighing all the inputs from his agent and support team.  I would move your decimal point over 2 places to 50%.  He just ended a long and exciting NCAA career and shifting gears to his future can't be easy.

I’m assuming Johnson’s team is trying to apply some leverage to get a promise of a game this season, and that is the holdup.

Im also assuming that KA promises that game as soon as we are eliminated from the playoffs, and as soon as we are eliminated he signs a contract.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Weave said:

I’m assuming Johnson’s team is trying to apply some leverage to get a promise of a game this season, and that is the holdup.

Im also assuming that KA promises that game as soon as we are eliminated from the playoffs, and as soon as we are eliminated he signs a contract.

The question is why does that change anything,  basically if we are not eliminated then he doesn't play a game this year... That would not change 

If we are eliminated he gets a game or 2.... but If he stand tall through all 82 would Johnson say screw it, refuses to sign a contract, and go back to the draft because he couldn't get a game in this year ?

10 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

The question is why does that change anything,  basically if we are not eliminated then he doesn't play a game this year... That would not change 

If we are eliminated he gets a game or 2.... but If he stand tall through all 82 would Johnson say screw it, refuses to sign a contract, and go back to the draft because he couldn't get a game in this year ?

Because it burns a year of his ELC and gets him 1 year closer to being an RFA and 1 year closer to being a UFA after that.

Edited by matter2003

16 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Because it burns a year of his ELC and gets him 1 year closer to being an RFA and 1 year closer to being a UFA after that.

Didn’t someone clarify earlier that given his status as a 4th-year player, he doesn’t need to play to burn a year, all he has to do is sign?

17 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Didn’t someone clarify earlier that given his status as a 4th-year player, he doesn’t need to play to burn a year, all he has to do is sign?

It's not that he's a 4th year player, it's that only contracts signed by 18 & 19 year olds can slide.  (Definitely true for NA prospects; pretty sure that's the case for Euros as well, but not positive.)

So, as soon as he signs during this season, this is his 1st ELC year because he is 20+ at the time of signing.

• Like (+1) 2

57 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

He’d be a free agent this summer. 

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Did not know this...the different rules they have in place for all the leagues is crazy. They really should simplify it and make it standard for all of them to as much a degree as possible.

2 hours ago, matter2003 said:

I understand ELC in this case

but if we are only going to play him when we are officially eliminated then what you are saying is if we don't play him this year he walks

So if Ryan is holding out and will only sign with Buffalo if he gets to burn a year then he is basically rooting for Buffalo to lose or he wants to re enter the draft

2 hours ago, ddaryl said:

I think it’s just a contract detail that needs wrapping up.  Nothing more. Nothing less.

5 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

... well he's a senior so more like freshman 7, sophomore 7, junior 7, senior 7

I mean it doesn’t always work that way.  I put on 30 my freshman year and 30 my junior year.  I would kill to be 190 lbs like I was when I graduated. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Weave said:

I think it’s just a contract detail that needs wrapping up.  Nothing more. Nothing less.

He told the Sabres he was signing at around 9 or 10 this morning, Pacific time.

The Sabres just haven't told you yet.

19 minutes ago, dudacek said:

He told the Sabres at around 9 or 10 PT today that he would sign sometime?

Or he told the Sabres that he would sign at around 9 or 10 PT today?

I know we have a little language battle going on in another thread, but this time it makes a difference.  

Edited by Eleven

11 minutes ago, Eleven said:

He told the Sabres at around 9 or 10 PT today that he would sign sometime?

Or he told the Sabres that he would sign at around 9 or 10 PT today?

I know we have a little language battle going on in another thread, but this time it makes a difference.  

Either way, it was more optimism than factual.

2 minutes ago, Eleven said:

From @dudacek?  I don't see it, unless I'm missing something.

I’ve never pretended to have inside info.

It was just a flip comment about how maybe the Sabres aren’t as worried about formally announcing the deal as we are. And about how entitled we’ve become about knowing about this stuff in real time.

Would you be at all surprised to learn that he accepted the offer this morning, and will be flying out tomorrow to formally sign it and join the team, and the PR staff decided to hold off on the announcement until then?

It is a day off, the team will be back in Buffalo, and they do have something a little more important going on.

4 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Works for him. Don’t see the benefit for the club.

If he were first team or second team All-American I’d think differently. But I have watched several games of Minnesota hockey. I don’t see the value of giving him just what he wants. 

I would just as soon have the second round comp pick.

Save the money and go after a top tier free agent D man to help the club immediately in 2023-24. Draft a high rated defenseman. And we have a couple in the system who could come on. 

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Well … if so, hope he is great. I have doubts about him becoming anything special.  Jmo.