The Johnson watch has started

Turbo44

1 hour ago, Carmel Corn said:

Given how badly guys like Bryson and Joki are playing tonight.....Johnson could not be possibly any worse than some guys already dressing tonight.

Correct - he can't be worse.  Jokiharu played the worst game I've seen any of our D play this year and that says a lot.  He absolutely sabotaged this game, directly responsible for goal 1, 2 and 4

21 hours ago, CTJoe said:

Correct - he can't be worse.  Jokiharu played the worst game I've seen any of our D play this year and that says a lot.  He absolutely sabotaged this game, directly responsible for goal 1, 2 and 4

Yeah, I really don't care for him and I didn't realize how much until I saw him in person. He's #2 behind Bryson in the GTFO list.

25 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Not Happening No Way GIF

Not sure how much I care either. How much do I need another Mark Pysyk in my life? Meh.

4 minutes ago, Two or less said:

Lance says on his podcast Maintenance day one of the holdup's of Ryan Johnson signing with the Sabres is the Sabres are having internal discussions about rather to sign him or take the pick.

It’s basically a 3rd round pick. Not much value. Someone in the organization must not like him if this is what is going on.

2 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

It’s basically a 3rd round pick. Not much value. Someone in the organization must not like him if this is what is going on.

He didn't say this directly but reading inbetween the lines it seems like he sees himself much closer to the NHL then the Sabres do, and Sabres think he will need a lot of time in the AHL while he thinks hes close and probably wanted to get a crack this year and burn off a year. Which seems Sabres don't really agree with.

9 minutes ago, Two or less said:

Lance says on his podcast Maintenance day one of the holdup's of Ryan Johnson signing with the Sabres is the Sabres are having internal discussions about rather to sign him or take the pick.

3 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Or they're playing 3D chess here.  Let him walk into free agency then sign him as a free agent.  Get the player and the draft pick.

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

Or they're playing 3D chess here.  Let him walk into free agency then sign him as a free agent.  Get the player and the draft pick.

IDK for sure, but their prospect pool for D-men is weak IMHO.  They're going to need "cheaper" young contracts to maintain space for high dollar guys.  If they are balking at Johnson, I don't agree with their logic.

18 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

IDK for sure, but their prospect pool for D-men is weak IMHO.  They're going to need "cheaper" young contracts to maintain space for high dollar guys.  If they are balking at Johnson, I don't agree with their logic.

Atleast hope they are very confident they can bring Nikita Novikov to Rochester next season.

1 hour ago, Two or less said:

I waited all day for the podcast to land.

2 minutes ago, SabresBillsFan said:

My guess if he doesn’t sign he will sign with Anaheim.

If they want him. The Ducks signed another D-man.

1 hour ago, Carmel Corn said:

Don't recall Adams exact quote now and don't feel like looking it up, but when he was asked about Johnson at the STH event he said that he'll be an NHLer and whether he signs or not is Johnson's decision.  He prides himself on speaking truthfully, so would be surprised if the Sabres are now balking on whether to make him a legit offer. 

(Realizing Lance is usually quite accurate with his stories.  Something isn't quite adding up right now.  If Johnson really believes he should be guaranteed a spot on the roster next year, well, could see the Sabres walk away from that.  But also have a hard time believing a player with his dad actually in the NHL would expect he could get a guaranteed slot onto an NHL team at this point in his career.  And can't see many better situations for a young D-man to step into.  Yeah, the Sabres will bring in at least 1 more D-man this off-season and hopefully 2, but with injuries and what not he could see some time in Buffalo next year and if he's as good as he expects he'll be then he'll earn a spot soon anyway.)

Still would like to see him sign with the Sabres.  But if he doesn't, that's on him, not them.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Still would like to see him sign with the Sabres.  But if he doesn't, that's on him, not them.

In KA's world, you want to be part of things here or you don't.  If Johnson is not on board, then move on.  It may even be argued that this draft is deep enough that the compensatory 2nd rd pick might become just as good a player long-term.  Obviously, that player won't be as NHL ready, but with 8 D under contract or control anbd cap space and assets to acquire UFAs or current NHL players, maybe signing Johnson isn't a huge priority for the team.

Think of it this way.  We paid a late 2nd for Greenway, a player in his prime, with two years left on his deal.  Maybe KA trades the compensatory 2nd for a D from a cap-strapped team.  Maybe LV will trade us 6'6" late bloomer Nic Hague for that 2nd?

9 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

In KA's world, you want to be part of things here or you don't.  If Johnson is not on board, then move on.  It may even be argued that this draft is deep enough that the compensatory 2nd rd pick might become just as good a player long-term.  Obviously, that player won't be as NHL ready, but with 8 D under contract or control anbd cap space and assets to acquire UFAs or current NHL players, maybe signing Johnson isn't a huge priority for the team.

Think of it this way.  We paid a late 2nd for Greenway, a player in his prime, with two years left on his deal.  Maybe KA trades the compensatory 2nd for a D from a cap-strapped team.  Maybe LV will trade us 6'6" late bloomer Nic Hague for that 2nd?

Hague won’t be moved out of Vegas. I’m a season ticket holder in Vegas. Not gonna happen. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, SabresBillsFan said:

Hague won’t be moved out of Vegas. I’m a season ticket holder in Vegas. Not gonna happen. 

Maybe not, but that doesn't change the premise that KA may be able to utilize the compensatory pick to get a decent NHL player for next season.

PS LV is going to have to move someone to control their cap problem.  Martinez, Pietrangelo, and McNabb all have trade protection. Whitecloud was recently extended to a long-term contract.  Their most tradeable assets on D are Theodore and Hague.  

9 hours ago, Two or less said:

I like Lance a lot but there is no way, after watching this guy play and bring so closely involved in his development that they still haven’t decided.
I still believe he signs, but this feels like “spin control.”