Devon Levi and the goaltending next year (or Should I Say - Devon Levi - The Goaltender Next Year!)

GASabresIUFAN

Assuming consistent performance in the remaining games I expect Levi is one of the two goalies to start the season in Buffalo next season. 

If I'm GMKA, I'm looking for an experienced vet goalie either via trade of FA to pair with Levi who can handle 30+ games no problem. That is neither UPL nor Comrie. 

Stanely Cup contenders have two good goalies, and I believe winning Cups is still the goal, even if it hasn't looked that way for awhile. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

How so? 

I agree that KA's plan is what is there now. Don't agree with it, but pretty sure that'll be the plan.

I like Levi. I was one of the first here to say he could be a steal in that trade and said he could eventually be a star goalie. I like him a lot, but young goalies are young goalies and they take time and development and there's many that have been ruined or set back by too much too soon. Lot's of young guys thrive on competition and pressure. That's not unique. I don't see what's so special or different about Levi in that regard. 

I'd be much more comfortable if we were moving forward with a veteran beside him to take half the load like Boston has with Swayman and Ullmark. Comrie ain't it. 

Carter Hart has been a starter since he was 20. Levi is better than Hart. Some players you just have to let play. He is clearly good enough to play here. Let him play.

3 hours ago, sabresparaavida said:

I would disagree with the bold, Comrie has shown he can be a competent backup, not that he was one. The most games he has played in a season has been 19, (starting 16 for Winnipeg, 19 this year) with a .920 save percentage one year, and a .886 the other year. His career save percentage is .897, not exactly competent level. 19 games is not statistically significant to show the quality of a goalie, and unless you have a top 10 goalie, 19 games is not enough for a backup.  

I'm willing to give Comrie some leeway with his injuries and the team play in front of him, but you are correct that he might not be consistent enough to automatically be the backup.

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

Again, it’s not what I would do. I would throw a $6 million AAV two-year offer at an Andersen or Varlamov, or pay the necessary price for a similar-level goalie with a year or 2 left on his contract.

Craig Andersen?

Not For Me No GIF by Originals

I like the guy but I think he's done.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

I’m no goalie expert, but when a guy is that athletic, that technically sharp and that mentally focused I find it pretty easy to believe he might be for real.

I’ve been saying he’s their best prospect for months because this is what I’ve been seeing in him.

Now I did not expect him to step in and grab the crease immediately - because goalies don’t do that.

But the ability is there and his mental acuity is rare.

So I’m not going to dismiss it out of hand. 

Kevyn Adams just might know more than me.

If our goalie situation hadn’t been so putrid, I wouldn’t have expected him to grab the crease so soon, either. But given the poor quality of play at the position for most of the season it wasn’t a high hurdle so I’m not surprised Levi was given the opportunity. Pretty easy decision for KA and I hope we see Levi getting the bulk of the work moving forward. 

If he decides to go vet goalie then Varlamov would be the best get. He has been consistent throughout his career playing in different systems. Would he sign here, who knows.

I think most likely it will be Levi-Comrie with UPL traded for a pick or as part of a package. 

Both Freddy Andersen and Anti Raanta are ufas in Carolina. Both 33 years old.

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

I expect him to shop around the goalie market, find out that the small group of available goalies on short-term deals either “cost too much to acquire,” or “aren’t significantly better” than UPL or Comrie and let the three of them battle it out in training camp.

That’s a battle I expect Levi to win, and Adams does too.

Again, it’s not what I would do. I would throw a $6 million AAV two-year offer at an Andersen or Varlamov, or pay the necessary price for a similar-level goalie with a year or 2 left on his contract.

I’d fully expect Levi to supplant him - maybe even immediately - but it’s a price I’m willing to pay for the security blanket.

Exactly. What's the total salary for the team? We could have dished out an extra 3-4 million over Comrie's salary and gotten someone  better over the last 2-3 years and we would be in the playoffs now. This is KA's last shot at it. Surely 3-4 million would have been worth being in the playoffs. 

For next season, Levi is till a rookie and very young. I'm not sure he can handle  the #1 spot right out of the gate for the entire season.  I also want no part of UPL or Comrie. They haven't hardly shown they are backup worthy. Get someone to compliment Levi effectively (a1-b1) and even with no other changes to the lineup we make the playoffs. Hopefully there are a couple other upgrades to the roster. 

Edited by sabresouth
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MattPie said:

I'm willing to give Comrie some leeway with his injuries and the team play in front of him, but you are correct that he might not be consistent enough to automatically be the backup.

Craig Andersen?

Not For Me No GIF by Originals

I like the guy but I think he's done.

Freddie

• Like (+1) 1

If Levi is indeed deemed ready for the NHL, then Adams is not giving up assets for a backup goalie.   Comrie or UPL will be the back up.  One will be kept and one will be traded.  

Comrie has already been a decent #2.

UPL, while less consistent, has more upside IMO.  

Now, if Levi comes to earth and it is decided that he start the year on Rochester, which I doubt, then you might see a goalie coming in by trade.   

2 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Carter Hart has been a starter since he was 20. Levi is better than Hart. Some players you just have to let play. He is clearly good enough to play here. Let him play.

When Hart started as a rookie he went on a big win streak and was being proclaimed the new Bernie Parent. Then he had the inevitable sophomore slump and fell apart for a while and now is pretty good. How good remains to be seen but it was (is) a rocky road. It's exactly what I am worried might happen with rushing Levi. 

Hextall was fired in part because he didn't want to bring Hart up and believed it would have a negative impact on his future. He may have been right. 

My big question is, is Bales good enough, not Levi?

4 hours ago, dudacek said:

I expect him to shop around the goalie market, find out that the small group of available goalies on short-term deals either “cost too much to acquire,” or “aren’t significantly better” than UPL or Comrie and let the three of them battle it out in training camp.

That’s a battle I expect Levi to win, and Adams does too.

I’d fully expect Levi to supplant him - maybe even immediately - but it’s a price I’m willing to pay for the security blanket.

3 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

You and I are in full agreement on this.  I want a Saros or even a Hart to insure we are a playoff team next season and if Levi is better so be it.  Then we'll have a Swayman/Ullmark "problem."  I can live with that.  However, there is a large gap between what we would do and what we think KA might do.

Certainly, more tape will give teams a better chance to "solve" Levi, but Levi is so focused and professional at 21, I expect him to work to take away any differences in his game long-term. 

I wholeheartedly concur with both proposals!  Abandon the UPL/Comrie hopefulness and go with the vet and the kid.

Add a bottom 6 puck digging forward with playoff experience and get the best vet D-man (with playoff experience too) you can find and all that is left is bringing up the young forwards one by one at the right times.  GMKA has enough cap, tradeable players and prospect(s) to swing it all.

The next 2 years will be set and nothing but some tweaking to do.  Playoffs next year!!

3 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

When Hart started as a rookie he went on a big win streak and was being proclaimed the new Bernie Parent. Then he had the inevitable sophomore slump and fell apart for a while and now is pretty good. How good remains to be seen but it was (is) a rocky road. It's exactly what I am worried might happen with rushing Levi. 

Hextall was fired in part because he didn't want to bring Hart up and believed it would have a negative impact on his future. He may have been right. 

My big question is, is Bales good enough, not Levi?

So you automatically assume Levi will fail based on what exactly? Because other players have? Tom Barrasso played pretty well as an 18 year old...

This isn't 1980 anymore when young players had to play in the minors no matter what because everyone thought they could never play in the NHL as 18 or 19 year olds...until a whole bunch of them got a chance and played really well and now it's fairly common place with high picks.

The Sabres didn't burn a year on his ELC to send him to the minors next year.

There is this myth that somehow players get ruined if they aren't put into some perfect situation. No offense, but if a player is that mentally fragile, they weren't going to make it anyway. Apparently there is some revisionist history that these players who crashed out of the NHL would have somehow been perennial All-Stars if only they were coddled like a spoiled 5 year old for a few years and protected like a fragile little flower.

Not buying it. They would have sucked regardless and found some other way not to overcome their mental fragility.

But now we get to hear them all pull the Uncle Rico "if coach would have just put me in the championship game back in 1982, things would have turned out different...".

No it wouldn't have.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

Yeah i dont see any chance hes in the AHL next year.

If that world  Tournament happens i could see him doing that to Prepare for next year

There's gonna be a book on him next season. I think that is the difference between what he does now vs. expectations next season. It'll be interesting to see what the Sabres do with him, but i think to say there is no chance he goes to AHL is wrong.

5 hours ago, Pimlach said:

If Levi is indeed deemed ready for the NHL, then Adams is not giving up assets for a backup goalie.   Comrie or UPL will be the back up.  One will be kept and one will be traded.  

There is absolutely no way the Sabres are running out both Comrie and UPL next season as the only 2 backup options if Levi falls off or something happens like a injury. Also, Sabres won't have 3-goalies again i'm sure. UPL will need to clear waivers. Someone picks him up (or comrie) right before opening night and just like that Sabres are stuck with Levi and one of those 2? No chance. I can't be convinced of that.

34 minutes ago, Two or less said:

There's gonna be a book on him next season. I think that is the difference between what he does now vs. expectations next season. It'll be interesting to see what the Sabres do with him, but i think to say there is no chance he goes to AHL is wrong.

There is absolutely no way the Sabres are running out both Comrie and UPL next season as the only 2 backup options if Levi falls off or something happens like a injury. Also, Sabres won't have 3-goalies again i'm sure. UPL will need to clear waivers. Someone picks him up (or comrie) right before opening night and just like that Sabres are stuck with Levi and one of those 2? No chance. I can't be convinced of that.

You have more faith in KA than I do 

52 minutes ago, Two or less said:

There is absolutely no way the Sabres are running out both Comrie and UPL next season as the only 2 backup options if Levi falls off or something happens like an injury. Also, Sabres won't have 3-goalies again i'm sure. UPL will need to clear waivers. Someone picks him up (or comrie) right before opening night and just like that Sabres are stuck with Levi and one of those 2? No chance. I can't be convinced of that.

Your reading comprehension is not good. 

I never said they will roster 3 goalies 

I never said anything related to him failing or getting injured   I did say If they decide Levi is not ready to be the #1 they will likely bring in someone else.  If it is decided that Levi is the #1 they won’t burn assets on a backup - either UPL to Comrie will be the #2   

28 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Your reading comprehension is not good. 

I never said they will roster 3 goalies 

I never said anything related to him failing or getting injured   I did say If they decide Levi is not ready to be the #1 they will likely bring in someone else.  If it is decided that Levi is the #1 they won’t burn assets on a backup - either UPL to Comrie will be the #2   

How can they possibly know by start of next season if Levi is “ready to be the #1”?  

It seems like that’s impossible to know. Adams keeps talking about not taking short cuts and doing it the right way, and thinking they can know based on these few games he’s ready to be #1 and just pair Comrie with him is absolutely asinine to me. Maybe I’m wrong. 

14 hours ago, Zamboni said:

If you had to chose one because no other “better” goalies want to sign in Buffalo…. Would people rather see

Levi / UPL

Levi / Comrie

I would want Levi / UPL

Is UPL waiver eligible still next season?  

if not, I expect a UPL | Levi tandem to start the season 

would be nice to have a vet, like Andersen, around the team for the young goalies to lean on when needed.  
I’m guessing Craig would want to retire full time but maybe they can figure a way to add him to the staff and have him be a consultant for the young goalies ? 

2 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

Is UPL waiver eligible still next season?  

if not, I expect a UPL | Levi tandem to start the season 

would be nice to have a vet, like Andersen, around the team for the young goalies to lean on when needed.  
I’m guessing Craig would want to retire full time but maybe they can figure a way to add him to the staff and have him be a consultant for the young goalies ? 

He’s not waiver eligible 

• Thanks (+1) 1

We know Anderson is probably gone, although I wouldn't mind seeing Levi/Anderson next year or Anderson come back to be a special goalie coach. I'd like to see UPL and Comrie gone. If Anderson leaves, get a new backup to Levi and clean the whole slate of this goalie mish-mash and hope that Leinonen develops in a timely way.

17 hours ago, matter2003 said:

So you automatically assume Levi will fail based on what exactly? Because other players have? Tom Barrasso played pretty well as an 18 year old...

This isn't 1980 anymore when young players had to play in the minors no matter what because everyone thought they could never play in the NHL as 18 or 19 year olds...until a whole bunch of them got a chance and played really well and now it's fairly common place with high picks.

The Sabres didn't burn a year on his ELC to send him to the minors next year.

First, nowhere did I say he would automatically fail. I said it COULD happen. It's hard to say with young guys. 

Second, 1980? What has that to do with anything? It's still a fact that in general development terms forwards are fastest, D men take longer and goalies take the longest. This hasn't changed. 

Lastly, in no way saying play in the minors necessarily. Saying instead that he needs a solid veteran to play with so he has a mentor and someone to stabilize things if he stumbles or slumps or loses a little confidence for a time or temporarily as rookie goalies can. He shouldn't be the #1 starter with no solid other option this early in his career. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, matter2003 said:

There is this myth that somehow players get ruined if they aren't put into some perfect situation. No offense, but if a player is that mentally fragile, they weren't going to make it anyway. Apparently there is some revisionist history that these players who crashed out of the NHL would have somehow been perennial All-Stars if only they were coddled like a spoiled 5 year old for a few years and protected like a fragile little flower.

Not buying it. They would have sucked regardless and found some other way not to overcome their mental fragility.

But now we get to hear them all pull the Uncle Rico "if coach would have just put me in the championship game back in 1982, things would have turned out different...".

No it wouldn't have.

I agree and Granato has talked repeatedly about players self correcting when possible. Quinn, Levi, Dahlin are all those types of ppl. 

7 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

First, nowhere did I say he would automatically fail. I said it COULD happen. It's hard to say with young guys. 

Second, 1980? What has that to do with anything? It's still a fact that in general development terms forwards are fastest, D men take longer and goalies take the longest. This hasn't changed. 

Lastly, in no way saying play in the minors necessarily. Saying instead that he needs a solid veteran to play with so he has a mentor and someone to stabilize things if he stumbles or slumps or loses a little confidence for a time or temporarily as rookie goalies can. He shouldn't be the #1 starter with no solid other option this early in his career. 

This is something I dont worry about much with Levi. You don't wave off getting pulled in a game you give up 8 if you don't have confidence to fix the issue and battle on. Levi is a different creature all together. 

22 hours ago, sabresouth said:

Exactly. What's the total salary for the team? We could have dished out an extra 3-4 million over Comrie's salary and gotten someone  better over the last 2-3 years and we would be in the playoffs now. This is KA's last shot at it. Surely 3-4 million would have been worth being in the playoffs. 

For next season, Levi is till a rookie and very young. I'm not sure he can handle  the #1 spot right out of the gate for the entire season.  I also want no part of UPL or Comrie. They haven't hardly shown they are backup worthy. Get someone to compliment Levi effectively (a1-b1) and even with no other changes to the lineup we make the playoffs. Hopefully there are a couple other upgrades to the roster. 

I'm sure goalies were just lining up to play for Buffalo...

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.