Devon Levi and the goaltending next year (or Should I Say - Devon Levi - The Goaltender Next Year!)

GASabresIUFAN

7 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

I don't think any of us will complain if meatball just went with Levi for the last run .

But if he played the others the fans whould do "what if" if we lost with them imo 

The last 4 are back to backs. Levi will play, but doubtful he’ll play all 4

• Agree 1

Will be surprised if UPL starts…

Levi has earned the next start and every other start until we are eliminated, if I’m the coach…

If Granato starts UPL, it will not be about his support for Levi or our playoff chances, imo… It will be developmental to put UPL into a Must Win game…

If he wins, great experience… If he loses, depends on how

Attached is a WGR link with Shayna Goldman on the SabresLive Show. The focus of this 16 min discussion was about the goalie situation for next year. The issue according to her and Marty Biron is the style of play that puts the goalies in a vulnerable position. She seems to argue that it would be a mistake to pursue major upgrades at the position because she's not sure that they will be available or worth the costs. At the end of the discussion Marty points out that a more defensive emphasis needs to be made on team defense than on pursuing outside talent. He thinks that Comrie is still a viable goalie for us. 

At the end of the segment there was talk about Mitts and his contract value. She was considering somewhere in the range of $4.2 M on a medium length deal. 

https://www.audacy.com/wgr550/hosts/sabres-live

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, Believer said:

Will be surprised if UPL starts…

Levi has earned the next start and every other start until we are eliminated, if I’m the coach…

If Granato starts UPL, it will not be about his support for Levi or our playoff chances, imo… It will be developmental to put UPL into a Must Win game…

If he wins, great experience… If he loses, depends on how

UPL was in the starters net at the optional skate today. It is a good indication he will be starting on Saturday against Carolina. I too think this is a mistake but Levi is used to 2 games a week at best so maybe they were about his load management. 

IMPO, I would go with Levi and Comrie next year. It is imperative that they add a legitimate top 4 defender this offseason and any excuse to the contrary is a lack of awareness and ability on Kevyn Adams part even if Ryan Johnson could potentially fill that role. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Attached is a WGR link with Shayna Goldman on the SabresLive Show. The focus of this 16 min discussion was about the goalie situation for next year. The issue according to her and Marty Biron is the style of play that puts the goalies in a vulnerable position. She seems to argue that it would be a mistake to pursue major upgrades at the position because she's not sure that they will be available or worth the costs. At the end of the discussion Marty points out that a more defensive emphasis needs to be made on team defense than on pursuing outside talent

Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner ! 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Attached is a WGR link with Shayna Goldman on the SabresLive Show. The focus of this 16 min discussion was about the goalie situation for next year. The issue according to her and Marty Biron is the style of play that puts the goalies in a vulnerable position. She seems to argue that it would be a mistake to pursue major upgrades at the position because she's not sure that they will be available or worth the costs. At the end of the discussion Marty points out that a more defensive emphasis needs to be made on team defense than on pursuing outside talent. He thinks that Comrie is still a viable goalie for us. 

At the end of the segment there was talk about Mitts and his contract value. She was considering somewhere in the range of $4.2 M on a medium length deal. 

Agree totally. If we don't correct this pitiful defense goaltending doesn't matter.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, JohnC said:

I’d be OK running back Levi/Comrie if we grab 2 second line defenders. 

Theres some nuance to it all, but nobody is coaching Boosh to make that pass last night. And we’ve had nights sub .800 S%. 

Fix two of the three and I will be happy. 

• Like (+1) 1

Although there will be several goalies who would add more experience and probably make the Sabres better, does it fit into the plan for the Sabres and KA.  

UFA goalies- Hill, Varlamov, Korpisalo, Raanta, Jarry, F. Anderson, Talbot, Reimer, and Jones

I believe the Sabres want a tandem of Levi and UPL for years 2024-2028.  

The plan going into this year was Comrie and Anderson the NHL with UPL the main starter and Subban backing up in AHL.  Then for 23-24 year it was to be Comrie with UPL backing up in NHL with Levi getting the majority of the starts in AHL.  So with injuries, the plan got messed up and UPL spent majority of season in NHL.  Although neither Comrie or UPL took control as a number 1, some of the deficiencies are because of the porous defense in front of our goalies, (Anderson and even now Levi have seen it happen to them in games). 

So as reluctant as I am to say it, unless Levi just blows their mind the rest of this year and in training camp, he will spend next year in the AHL with Comrie and UPL splitting time in Buffalo.  (I don't see KA moving Comrie only after an injury plagued year.  That would not look good for signing future UFA's).  If Levi is in Buffalo next year I think you could see a 3 headed monster again.  I don't think KA moves UPL, because then what does he do when Comrie becomes a UFA after next season.  

So even though the best option for next year would get a guy like Hart and let Levi the be the backup for a year or two, not sure that is what KA is thinking.

Fix defense and you may solve a lot of your goalie problems.   Dahlin, Mule, OP are the only untouchables.  Everyone else can be replaced. 

Plenty of UFA d options- Graves, Cliffton, Soucy, Gudas, Orlov, Schenn, Severson, Mikkola, Mayfield, and Gavrikov.

And for those that were wondering what @dudacek and this kid have seen from the kid, today's game is a great example of what we've expected from Levi. There is no way this team wins today with any of the other 3 goalies in house between the pipes. He makes the big save when the team needs it and just doesn't give up that bad momentum killing goal. He gives the team a chance to win every game.

He's not perfect, but he's the best they've had in a decade.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Taro T said:

And for those that were wondering what @dudacek and this kid have seen from the kid, today's game is a great example of what we've expected from Levi. There is no way this team wins today with any of the other 3 goalies in house between the pipes. He makes the big save when the team needs it and just doesn't give up that bad momentum killing goal. He gives the team a chance to win every game.

He's not perfect, but he's the best they've had in a decade.

This is just my opinion but I don't see KA making a significant move next year in acquiring another goalie. I see Comrie and UPL working behind Levi as our #1 goalie with both of them vying for the #2 spot. If UPL isn't pegged to be the #2 goalie, there is a good chance he will be dealt because if sent to Rochester he will be exposed to the market. If I had to speculate, the GM's attention will be on adding to the blueline. I'm hoping (expecting) that Ryan Johnson will sign because it is such a good situation for him here. 

9 minutes ago, JohnC said:

This is just my opinion but I don't see KA making a significant move next year in acquiring another goalie. I see Comrie and UPL working behind Levi as our #1 goalie with both of them vying for the #2 spot. If UPL isn't pegged to be the #2 goalie, there is a good chance he will be dealt because if sent to Rochester he will be exposed to the market. If I had to speculate, the GM's attention will be on adding to the blueline. I'm hoping (expecting) that Ryan Johnson will sign because it is such a good situation for him here. 

It's definitely a possibility that he does just go with the goaltending he has.  But it just makes so much sense to bring in a Varlamov and it sets the Sabres up with an amped up version of the '06 Canes goaltending.

And to those that say the plan for the future is Levi and UPL, believe you're right that was the plan.  Not sure, the way the season played out that it necessarily still is the plan.  It could be, and having Varlomov doesn't change that if it is (provided UPL clears waivers) but getting Varlamov could restore the even earlier plan of Ullmark and UPL just with different goalies in the Ullmark and UPL roles.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Taro T said:

It's definitely a possibility that he does just go with the goaltending he has.  But it just makes so much sense to bring in a Varlamov and it sets the Sabres up with an amped up version of the '06 Canes goaltending.

And to those that say the plan for the future is Levi and UPL, believe you're right that was the plan.  Not sure, the way the season played out that it necessarily still is the plan.  It could be, and having Varlomov doesn't change that if it is (provided UPL clears waivers) but getting Varlamov could restore the even earlier plan of Ullmark and UPL just with different goalies in the Ullmark and UPL roles.

Feels like I’ve just been hitting the like and agree buttons for your post lately but this is exactly the way I see it as well.  Varlamov would be a perfect 1A 1B guy too pair with Levi. 

This team is ready to fly.  Just need the goaltending.  I love Levi but man he’s young.  This would be a perfect fit being a capable vet that can hopefully guide Levi and play 30+ games. 

• Agree 1

Just now, Taro T said:

I have listened to Marty Biron on a few occasions discuss the goalie situation and how it will play out. It seems that he leans toward upgrading the blueline and the defensive scheme of the unit to put the goalies in a better situation. I wouldn't mind adding Varlomov, but if that is the case then it would more likely be to replace Comrie. Why would Varlomov want to come here when it's probable that Levi is going to be our primary goalie? My guess is that the GM is going to stay status quo. 

6 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I have listened to Marty Biron on a few occasions discuss the goalie situation and how it will play out. It seems that he leans toward upgrading the blueline and the defensive scheme of the unit to put the goalies in a better situation. I wouldn't mind adding Varlomov, but if that is the case then it would more likely be to replace Comrie. Why would Varlomov want to come here when it's probable that Levi is going to be our primary goalie? My guess is that the GM is going to stay status quo. 

Why?  Because he absolutely is the backup where he is and it isn't an absolute given that Levi will be the #1 as a rookie.  And, he's had goal support in the the past.  Maybe he misses it.  He might relish playing for a team where a single mistake doesn't make getting to OT a necessity to get a W.

2 minutes ago, Derrico said:

200.gif

That too. 

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

Why?  Because he absolutely is the backup where he is and it isn't an absolute given that Levi will be the #1 as a rookie.  And, he's had goal support in the the past.  Maybe he misses it.  He might relish playing for a team where a single mistake doesn't make getting to OT a necessity to get a W.

That too. 

This is going to be an interesting offseason. 

• Agree 1

There is no goalie in the league that will help this team if they run the same defensive system back.

An upgrade on the backend is needed but if they don’t fix the defensive scheme and lower the high risk chances against it won’t make a difference.

I will be surprised if UPL is back next year. I think some combination of Joker, UPL, VO and picks can all be used to upgrade on the backend.

Edited by Flashsabre

6 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Honestly, even if they bring back one of Comrie or UPL, KA has to bring in a veteran goalie that is a proven commodity.  Varlamov, Hill, Demko, Hart, Talbot, Jake Allen, someone!

IDK, I don't see Adams doing this.  He won't part with an asset, which is what it would take to get one of the proven goalies.  I'd rather see him part with an asset to to get a defender.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.