Devon Levi and the goaltending next year (or Should I Say - Devon Levi - The Goaltender Next Year!)

GASabresIUFAN

8 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

IDK, I don't see Adams doing this.  He won't part with an asset, which is what it would take to get one of the proven goalies.  I'd rather see him part with an asset to to get a defender.

Varlamov is a UFA this summer.  Only costs money.

• Like (+1) 2

Boy, full marks to Adams on this one. Looking like it’ll be his most impactful move (..and it’s not on an island). An excellent talent analysis and projection by him and his team. To add, I don’t want to get ahead of it and assume he’ll be so good over so many games next year that there won’t be a learning curve as he adjusts to the large workload of a full season, though (And shooters adjust to him), as it’s tough to extrapolate small sample sizes, as we’ve seen. So my preference, in a year where we really gotta see playoffs, would be to add a competent vet backup, if at all possible, to spell starter Levi when he needs rest. Not a comment on confidence in Levi - even the team with whoever has the best goalie in the league needs a capable back up in today’s game, no two ways about it if you have expectations - and I just have none in UPL and Comrie. If anything, Levi’s play has increased that feeling. A back-up addition should honestly be the easy part given how good Levi looks to be, at this time.

• Like (+1) 3

On 4/5/2023 at 12:49 PM, sabresparaavida said:

I would disagree with the bold, Comrie has shown he can be a competent backup, not that he was one. The most games he has played in a season has been 19, (starting 16 for Winnipeg, 19 this year) with a .920 save percentage one year, and a .886 the other year. His career save percentage is .897, not exactly competent level. 19 games is not statistically significant to show the quality of a goalie, and unless you have a top 10 goalie, 19 games is not enough for a backup.  

Wonder what the most games Levi has played in a season...?

2 hours ago, Thorny said:

Boy, full marks to Adams on this one. Looking like it’ll be his most impactful move (..and it’s not on an island). An excellent talent analysis and projection by him and his team. To add, I don’t want to get ahead of it and assume he’ll be so good over so many games next year that there won’t be a learning curve as he adjusts to the large workload of a full season, though (And shooters adjust to him), as it’s tough to extrapolate small sample sizes, as we’ve seen. So my preference, in a year where we really gotta see playoffs, would be to add a competent vet backup, if at all possible, to spell starter Levi when he needs rest. Not a comment on confidence in Levi - even the team with whoever has the best goalie in the league needs a capable back up in today’s game, no two ways about it if you have expectations - and I just have none in UPL and Comrie. If anything, Levi’s play has increased that feeling. A back-up addition should honestly be the easy part given how good Levi looks to be, at this time.

I agree with your thoughts regarding learning curve of a full season being a very real thing the team needs to contend with. A full season grind in major league sports is no joke - between playing against the elite night in and night out - extensive travel - media obligations - and newfound money & freedom - it is a lot to take on.

All that said, I would take what you said one step further...I bring in a vet that has an expectation of playing 40 - if not 50 games next year. Levi plays between 25-35 next year - and 35-40 the following year - before taking over as a full time starter.

He is young for a goalie, and a very heady individual. From all accounts I have read - this dude is a creature of habit - and it is hard to stay insulated in the NHL. It will take time. Just not ready to throw this kid in for a 50+ game workload next year...IMO

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, oddoublee said:

All that said, I would take what you said one step further...I bring in a vet that has an expectation of playing 40 - if not 50 games next year. Levi plays between 25-35 next year - and 35-40 the following year - before taking over as a full time starter.

I mostly agreed with everything in this post. My only tweak would be that, in connection with a solid NHL vet coming in on a 2-year deal, I'd like to see Levi penciled in for ~35 games next season (2023-2024) and then see that ratio flip by the following year (2024-2025) such that Levi is then taking ~50 games by that time.

4 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Respectfully, I think the issue has been decided.  Levi is starting next year.  And I’ll be fairly surprised if UPL isn’t the #2.  

I didn't ride a roller coaster until age 46. I dreaded it before I loved it. I have the same feeling about watching Levi take command of the net.

FTR he's been just fine. At the very least though UPL can't be the backup plan.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I mostly agreed with everything in this post. My only tweak would be that, in connection with a solid NHL vet coming in on a 2-year deal, I'd like to see Levi penciled in for ~35 games next season (2023-2024) and then see that ratio flip by the following year (2024-2025) such that Levi is then taking ~50 games by that time.

Personally, want to see Varlamov (or equivalent) brought in next year with an expectation he'll get between 35 and 55 games.  One of Comrie or UPL getting traded and the other guy pencilled in as the backup with Levi told that if he keeps doing his thing, he'll be bumped up before camp is over.  Try to get the guy that they kept through waivers into Ra-cha-cha when camp breaks (because, let's face it, Levi is way better than that other guy).  And then let the fun begin.  Whoever is going better between Varlamov and Levi gets the extra starts.  Expecting by January it'll be Levi's net, but am fine with however it plays out.

• Like (+1) 3

KA and whoever pushed for Levi at the time of the trade must be over the moon. They knew he was good and projected that he would be an NHL goalie. I doubt they could see him having this much of an impact right away and probably not needing any time in Rochester.

Florida is good in net with Bob, Knight and Lyon but Levi is special.

This will be interesting next season with Comrie and UPL under contract. I think we need better than those two as a 1B to challenge Levi, mentor him and to provide some good goaltending. I wanted them to get Saros while we wait for Levi but now I think a guy like Varlamov is the right move. Levi is on his ELC so they could give a guy like Varlamov a good contract for a couple of years.

I don’t know if UPL gets through waivers but that may be their best option. Trade Comrie once a 1B is signed.

13 minutes ago, French Collection said:

KA and whoever pushed for Levi at the time of the trade must be over the moon. They knew he was good and projected that he would be an NHL goalie. I doubt they could see him having this much of an impact right away and probably not needing any time in Rochester.

Florida is good in net with Bob, Knight and Lyon but Levi is special.

This will be interesting next season with Comrie and UPL under contract. I think we need better than those two as a 1B to challenge Levi, mentor him and to provide some good goaltending. I wanted them to get Saros while we wait for Levi but now I think a guy like Varlamov is the right move. Levi is on his ELC so they could give a guy like Varlamov a good contract for a couple of years.

I don’t know if UPL gets through waivers but that may be their best option. Trade Comrie once a 1B is signed.

They will keep Comrie and trade UPL. My guess

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, French Collection said:

KA and whoever pushed for Levi at the time of the trade must be over the moon. They knew he was good and projected that he would be an NHL goalie. 

Right?!  Trade goes down and my initial reaction is all we got is a late first and some guy drafted in the 7th round very recently?  All that suffering during the horrendous 2013-14 season and all we have to show for it was a few years of watching a good (but not superstar) player and a late first and 7th rounder?  Add Kulich slipping in the first as the other piece and looking like it’s going to set up a couple of possible cornerstones for several years.  Early returns are WAY above expectation compared to my initial reaction.  Another note that Jack trade is also looking pretty good as Tuch looks like a top line player for years to come considering his age and love for the city. 

• Agree 4

23 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

Does Levi need mentoring?  I mean this man is focused, and mature beyond his age. 

Ironically maybe it Levi's preperation andgameday rituals that actually mentors UPL and Cromrie?

A vet couldn't hurt.  Kind of like with Josh.

29 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

Does Levi need mentoring?  I mean this man is focused, and mature beyond his age. 

Ironically maybe it Levi's preperation andgameday rituals that actually mentors UPL and Cromrie?

I'm pretty sure I read one of the things that appealed to Levi about getting here was spending time with Anderson. So while he may be focused and mature, I think (hope?) he realizes he's always got things to learn/ways to improve his game.

5 minutes ago, SabresBaltimore said:

I'm pretty sure I read one of the things that appealed to Levi about getting here was spending time with Anderson. So while he may be focused and mature, I think (hope?) he realizes he's always got things to learn/ways to improve his game.

Maybe goalie coach after he retires?

• GASabresIUFAN changed the title to Devon Levi and the goaltending next year (or Should I Say - Devon Levi - The Goaltender Next Year!)
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.