Devon Levi and the goaltending next year (or Should I Say - Devon Levi - The Goaltender Next Year!)

GASabresIUFAN

3 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

UPL likely still has trade value, I doubt Comrie does.

Could see Comrie having trade value, but UPL almost definitely has more and Comrie also probably has a greater chance of clearing waivers should the Sabres decide to send one of the 2 to Ra-cha-cha.  But doubt either will clear waivers; there are always teams looking for goalies.

2 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

He should - Also try getting Andersen 1A option and let levi sit behind him for a year.

Do you mean keeping Anderson? I don't think he's back.

I'd trade for Saros still. Levi was better than what we had but he wasn't perfect and he's got work to do. 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Do you mean keeping Anderson? I don't think he's back.

I'd trade for Saros still. Levi was better than what we had but he wasn't perfect and he's got work to do. 

No Andersen - As in UFA from the canes 😛

I would give him  2 x 6 mill or 3x5mill contract.

Edited by Huckleberry

We need an experienced NHL goalie next year.  Boston has shown that investing in 82 games of goaltending is a good thing.  Levi is part of the equation, but we have no idea if he is ready to be an NHL 50 game player.  That means KA has to find a player capable of splitting time with Levi, but also is capable of shouldering the starting load if Devon isn’t as ready as it currently appears.  

That probably means trading for someone with term.  Older UFA might also be interested like a Varlamov if the money to good.  I do like the Freddie Andersen idea.  I also like Aidan Hill.  He might be an Ullmark type value signing.  

It would also be wise to get someone better than Subban for Roch, who could play in BUF should Levi need to be sent down.  

We also need to sign a prospect goalie to help fill out the pipeline who could hopefully develop into Levi’s backup in a few years. 

KA needs to move on from UPL and Comrie.  

• Like (+1) 3

40 minutes ago, Sidc3000 said:

I definitely believe Levi will  play at least 40 games next year. As for his tandem, I really don’t see Adams going out to get a veteran goalie. I think he will say goodbye to UPL (since he wasn’t drafted by KA & not improving much) and stick with Comrie

Agree on Levi… Guessing both UPL and Comrie will be in camp.

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

No Andersen - As in UFA from the canes 😛

I would give him  2 x 6 mill or 3x5mill contract.

No team makes a goalie look better than the Canes (maybe the Bruins).  I would be wary of giving more than a year to Andersen or Raanta. I would bet more on Comrie and UPL looking good on the Canes than I would on Andersen or Raanta fixing our goalie issues. 

51 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

We need an experienced NHL goalie next year.  Boston has shown that investing in 82 games of goaltending is a good thing.  Levi is part of the equation, but we have no idea if he is ready to be an NHL 50 game player.  That means KA has to find a player capable of splitting time with Levi, but also is capable of shouldering the starting load if Devon isn’t as ready as it currently appears.  

That probably means trading for someone with term.  Older UFA might also be interested like a Varlamov if the money to good.  I do like the Freddie Andersen idea.  I also like Aidan Hill.  He might be an Ullmark type value signing.  

It would also be wise to get someone better than Subban for Roch, who could play in BUF should Levi need to be sent down.  

We also need to sign a prospect goalie to help fill out the pipeline who could hopefully develop into Levi’s backup in a few years. 

KA needs to move on from UPL and Comrie.  

Really don't see Adams trading for a goalie.  Not with Levi so close to being ready to be the man.  Do expect a FA brought in, and the hope here is they can convince Varlamov to sign.  Not a fan of Andersen and don't know Hill's body of work well enough to have an opinion on him.

As for Ra-cha-cha, IF he can clear waivers (a big if) they have the guy that's better than Subban - Comrie (unless he's traded and UPL is the one that gets kept, then they have UPL (but he probably wouldn't clear)).

10 hours ago, Taro T said:

Really don't see Adams trading for a goalie.  Not with Levi so close to being ready to be the man.  Do expect a FA brought in, and the hope here is they can convince Varlamov to sign.  Not a fan of Andersen and don't know Hill's body of work well enough to have an opinion on him.

As for Ra-cha-cha, IF he can clear waivers (a big if) they have the guy that's better than Subban - Comrie (unless he's traded and UPL is the one that gets kept, then they have UPL (but he probably wouldn't clear)).

Varlamov said he wants to stay an islander.     

1 hour ago, triumph_communes said:

So much Levi disrespect in here 

53 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Not one person 

Not one person is disrespecting Levi.  I think everyone here is astonished by how well he played.  Not one person here thinks he isn't the future in net for the Sabres.  I also think everyone here believes Levi will be part of the tandem in the net in Buffalo next season.

The question is how do you properly support this top prospect?  Option A. Do you anoint him the starter and just get a competent backup? Option B. Do you bring in a good starter to take the pressure off and hopefully build a tandem like Boston has?  Option C. Or do you bring in someone as a veteran mentor who can start if necessary but would willing to take a back seat if Levi proves ready to be the man?

I would guess KA goes with Option C. 

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

7 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Not one person is disrespecting Levi.  I think everyone here is astonished by how well he played.  Not one person here thinks he isn't the future in net for the Sabres.  I also think everyone here believes Levi will be part of the tandem in the net in Buffalo next season.

The question is how do you properly support this top prospect?  Option A. Do you anoint him the starter and just get a competent backup? Option B. Do you bring in a good starter to take the pressure off and hopefully build a tandem like Boston has?  Option C. Or do you bring in someone as a veteran mentor who can start if necessary but would willing to take a back seat if Levi proves ready to be the man?

I would guess KA goes with Option C. 

Ya I’ll take this off season off this board is full of loud, bad opinions. Nothing is happening in net when we have three goalies signed. 

1 hour ago, triumph_communes said:

Ya I’ll take this off season off this board is full of loud, bad opinions. Nothing is happening in net when we have three goalies signed. 

UPL will be traded, it's that simple.

As far as the board being full of loud, bad, opinions... don't you put yourself in that group by giving your opinion?

3 hours ago, triumph_communes said:

Do you also think that KA won’t bring in help on D when he has 8 D already signed or under team control? 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.