Devon Levi and the goaltending next year (or Should I Say - Devon Levi - The Goaltender Next Year!)

GASabresIUFAN

1 hour ago, triumph_communes said:

False equivalency. 

Comrie is an NHL caliber backup. Bryson is not an NHL quality defenseman. 

Not in our system and probably not on any good team where the backup needs to play 30+ games.  

He needs to be in Rochester next season.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Not in our system.  

Agreed, Comrie put his up good numbers in a well regimented defensive system. Ours if far more high event than winnipeg's. We need a product of a chaotic defense impo. Someone used to breakdowns and high danger chances against.

3 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Not in our system and probably not on any good team where the backup needs to play 30+ games.  

He needs to be in Rochester next season.

What's our system? Exposing our goalies to a barrage of high danger shots in every game? I really believe that the GM is going to stick with Comrie and UPL entering next season. He most likely will improve the play of the goalies on hand by shoring up the blue line unit and place a greater emphasis on two-way play for the team, as was done at the end of the season during the playoff run. I'm confident that you are going to be very disappointed with the lack of transactions regarding the goalie position this offseason. 

• Disagree 1

3 hours ago, JohnC said:

What's our system? Exposing our goalies to a barrage of high danger shots in every game? I really believe that the GM is going to stick with Comrie and UPL entering next season. He most likely will improve the play of the goalies on hand by shoring up the blue line unit and place a greater emphasis on two-way play for the team, as was done at the end of the season during the playoff run. I'm confident that you are going to be very disappointed with the lack of transactions regarding the goalie position this offseason. 

You keep saying that and while possible I think it’s highly unlikely.

Why?
1.  Yes, our system.  We aren’t the NYI.  Even if we tighten up defensively, the system activates both D often on offense, which creates high danger chances the other way.  Neither goalie handled this well. 

2. We are only carrying two goalies next year. That means someone has to go by definition. 

3. This team is in win now mode.  Neither UPL or Comrie are good enough to give us good consistent goaltending over 30 games.  UPL started 32 games this season and gave up decent to good performances in half.  That’s simply not good enough. Marty Biron has talked about the holes in his game for years and they haven’t been fixed.  

Sometimes prospects and UFA signings don’t pan out and you have to move on. 

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Just now, GASabresIUFAN said:

You keep saying that and while possible I think it’s highly unlikely.

Why?
1.  Yes, our system.  We aren’t the NYI.  Even if we tighten up defensively, the system activates both D often on offense, which creates high danger chances the other way.  Neither goalie handled r this well. 

2. We are only carrying two goalies next year. That means someone has to go by definition. 

3. This team is in win now mode.  Neither UPL or Comrie are good enough to give us good consistent goaltending over 30 games.  UPL started 32 games this season and gave up decent to good performances in half.  That’s simply not good enough. Marty Biron has tallied about the holes in his game for years and they haven’t been fixed.  

Sometimes prospects and UFA signings don’t pan out and you have to move on. 

I respectively but strenuously disagree with you. It seems that you are making a conclusive judgment on Comrie? Why? He was plagued by injuries this season that had an effect on his play. You have to remember that the GM and his staff made an analytical judgment on Comrie when they signed him last year. Maybe he wasn't their first preference, but they went through with their evaluation and acquired him. 

Again, why are you making a conclusive judgment on UPL? He is still young. How long did it take for Ullmark, who was drafted in 2012, to come to fruition as a NHL player? UPL played much of the season with the Sabres. The original plan was to play him full-time in Rochester. He ended being brought up due to injuries. He was inconsistent. That shouldn't be surprising. The issue of him being exposed and claimed off waivers certainly is a complicating feature. But if he is dealt, what do you think his value is? 

I agree with you that sometimes prospects and UFA signings don't work out. And sometimes people make hasty judgments on players that come back to haunt you. My sense of our GM is that he is more comfortable with following his blueprint of mostly building through the system. He is willing to make deals but for the most part they are incremental deals. If I had to bet on what his approach to the netminding position will be this offseason, my money is on him taking the status quo approach. I know you disagree. That's fine. We'll see how it unfolds. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

@JohnC you can’t keep comparing UPL to Ullmark.  Ullmark has been good at every level and continues to get better.  UPL was great in the CHL, but has never been good in the AHL or NHL.  

I don't know how good or not UPL is going to be. That's the point. Ullmark was far from being an automatic success in his extended journey as a prospect. With goalies you just never know for sure in their long and winding road to development. I'm simply more patient than you are in waiting to see how it materializes. I'm intrigued to see how the GM handles this situation. 

13 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I respectively but strenuously disagree with you. It seems that you are making a conclusive judgment on Comrie? Why? He was plagued by injuries this season that had an effect on his play. You have to remember that the GM and his staff made an analytical judgment on Comrie when they signed him last year. Maybe he wasn't their first preference, but they went through with their evaluation and acquired him. 

Again, why are you making a conclusive judgment on UPL? He is still young. How long did it take for Ullmark, who was drafted in 2012, to come to fruition as a NHL player? UPL played much of the season with the Sabres. The original plan was to play him full-time in Rochester. He ended being brought up due to injuries. He was inconsistent. That shouldn't be surprising. The issue of him being exposed and claimed off waivers certainly is a complicating feature. But if he is dealt, what do you think his value is? 

I agree with you that sometimes prospects and UFA signings don't work out. And sometimes people make hasty judgments on players that come back to haunt you. My sense of our GM is that he is more comfortable with following his blueprint of mostly building through the system. He is willing to make deals but for the most part they are incremental deals. If I had to bet on what his approach to the netminding position will be this offseason, my money is on him taking the status quo approach. I know you disagree. That's fine. We'll see how it unfolds. 

I would go a step further and say we might go with 3 goalies to start next season. We went with 3 and then 4 goalies for over 2 months to end this season. I'm not predicting this, but I think it is more likely we go with 3 goalies than it is that we bring in a new veteran goalie.

Also, I don't see any obvious candidates. On the Athletic's Hockey Show podcast from Friday, they briefly discussed the Sabres and the three writers on the panel agreed that an upgrade at goaltending was needed. One panelist suggested UFA Tristan Jarry; he stated that Jarry at #1 for a couple of years with Levi as a developing #2 would be perfect. The other 2 writers audibly laughed at this and one said: "A Jarry & Levi combo is not what I had in mind".  So, people who cover hockey can't agree that a 28 year old UFA with 200+ games of experience and a career .914 save % is a sufficient upgrade for the Sabres.

I think you can breakdown good NHL goaltending into two categories. Category #1 is true elite goalies who have proven to be good year over year:  Saros, Sorokin, Helebucyk, Shesterkin, Vasilevsky. Category #2 are the teams whose goalies typically thrive (at least in the regular season):  Carolina, Boston, NYI, Vegas, Dallas, Toronto, Colorado. There is crossover. All goalies seem to thrive on the Island and goalies like Ullmark and Oettinger are making a case to join the elite category.

I doubt we are getting any of the elite goalies. There is no indication any are available or that Adams would be willing to meet the acquisition cost if any were. This leaves the next level. I would be wary of goalies like Fred Andersen or Raanta, who have been good on a team that provides them with impeccable support. 

The bottom of the goaltending rankings from this past season is littered with guys who were in recent years prominently discussed by some Sabre fans as potential upgrades: Jack Campbell, Ville Husso, Alex Nedelkovic, Thatcher Demko, Kappo Kahkonen, John Gibson.  Likewise, the top of the charts includes goalies that were coming off weak seasons and who were far from sure things going to new teams:  Samsonov, Georgiev, Korpisalo, Lankinen. 

I think we need to clean up our own house. Maybe Levi is the elite goalie that solves our issues, but it would be good if we also became a team where goalies thrive.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Archie Lee said:

I would go a step further and say we might go with 3 goalies to start next season. We went with 3 and then 4 goalies for over 2 months to end this season. I'm not predicting this, but I think it is more likely we go with 3 goalies than it is that we bring in a new veteran goalie.

Also, I don't see any obvious candidates. On the Athletic's Hockey Show podcast from Friday, they briefly discussed the Sabres and the three writers on the panel agreed that an upgrade at goaltending was needed. One panelist suggested UFA Tristan Jarry; he stated that Jarry at #1 for a couple of years with Levi as a developing #2 would be perfect. The other 2 writers audibly laughed at this and one said: "A Jarry & Levi combo is not what I had in mind".  So, people who cover hockey can't agree that a 28 year old UFA with 200+ games of experience and a career .914 save % is a sufficient upgrade for the Sabres.

I think you can breakdown good NHL goaltending into two categories. Category #1 is true elite goalies who have proven to be good year over year:  Saros, Sorokin, Helebucyk, Shesterkin, Vasilevsky. Category #2 are the teams whose goalies typically thrive (at least in the regular season):  Carolina, Boston, NYI, Vegas, Dallas, Toronto, Colorado. There is crossover. All goalies seem to thrive on the Island and goalies like Ullmark and Oettinger are making a case to join the elite category.

I doubt we are getting any of the elite goalies. There is no indication any are available or that Adams would be willing to meet the acquisition cost if any were. This leaves the next level. I would be wary of goalies like Fred Andersen or Raanta, who have been good on a team that provides them with impeccable support. 

The bottom of the goaltending rankings from this past season is littered with guys who were in recent years prominently discussed by some Sabre fans as potential upgrades: Jack Campbell, Ville Husso, Alex Nedelkovic, Thatcher Demko, Kappo Kahkonen, John Gibson.  Likewise, the top of the charts includes goalies that were coming off weak seasons and who were far from sure things going to new teams:  Samsonov, Georgiev, Korpisalo, Lankinen. 

I think we need to clean up our own house. Maybe Levi is the elite goalie that solves our issues, but it would be good if we also became a team where goalies thrive.

Very thoughtful and well written response. No easy answers. 

Levi going to the World Championships will keep his season going and give him more great experience.

Canada has a big hole in its goaltending. Gone are the days of Roy to Brodeur to Luongo to Price. The best people project in Olympic/World Cup teams are Carter Hart, Darcy Kuemper, Logan Thompson and Jordan Binnington. That’s a far cry from the USA having Hellebuyck and Oettinger. Russia having Shesterkin, Sorokin and Vasilevskiy is impressive.

Levi has an opportunity to get his foot in the door as not just Buffalo’s goalie of the future but Canada’s.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.