Buffalo Bills 2023 Thread

Brawndo

Just now, inkman said:

BB is a bad GM and a below average head coach with a HOF QB.  

this take is popular right now. i agree that brady wound up looking better following their divorce. but i just can't get down with this theory. there are plenty of incredible QB's who haven't found postseason success. that team was an unprecedented dynasty because of the head coach and the QB - not necessarily in that order. if people insist on quantifying it, maybe a larger share of credit belongs to brady? but not by much.

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

this take is popular right now. i agree that brady wound up looking better following their divorce. but i just can't get down with this theory. there are plenty of incredible QB's who haven't found postseason success. that team was an unprecedented dynasty because of the head coach and the QB - not necessarily in that order. if people insist on quantifying it, maybe a larger share of credit belongs to brady? but not by much.

image.png.24415751f9c5f6ac99473531e9ee80d3.png

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, inkman said:

Poor GM indeed, and perhaps an average head coach, but he is a wizard as a defensive coordinator. Somewhat of a D prodigy as he was breaking down game film for his dad at nine years old when his father was a scout at the Naval academy. A schematic genius if ever there was one.

Edited by K-9
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Brady left to join an already loaded team. Now it’s Belichick’s turn to do the same. 

19 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Poor GM indeed, and perhaps an average head coach, but he is a wizard as a defensive coordinator. Somewhat of a D prodigy as he was breaking down game film for his dad at nine years old when his father was a scout at the Naval academy. A schematic genius if ever there was one.

💯

18 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I see that I’m in the crushing grip of reason. Uncle.

Hmm. Maybe?

That just means he struggled to win with a bad QB, not that he necessarily needed the GOAT.

Brady “wins” cause he’s Brady, and he’s the guy actually playing and he got the extra title.. but no one who actually watched the earlier years of that run could deny what Bill Belichick was. Brady, aside from in the clutch, wasn’t even the utmost strength of those teams 

a big thing for me too, he was 11-5 the Matt Cassel year 

Bill Walsh was 17-23-1 without Joe Montana. Smaller sample size, but even worse math. It doesn’t take away from what they did once they got that guy.

Edited by Thorny
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, K-9 said:

He gets way too much credit for the first Super Bowl over the Bills. I think they even have his game plan notes in the Hall of Fame. What is fact is that the Bills scored 20 points in 19 minutes of action. It was the Giants offense and it’s controlled domination that beat the Bills that day.

All that being said, like everything, the answer is somewhere in the middle. You can’t blame him for everything before or after Brady but give him no credit for the Brady years. In my opinion his best quality was being able to adapt and bring a year or two ahead of everyone else. He won with defense and a running game and then he won with throwing the ball all over.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Doohickie said:

image.png.24415751f9c5f6ac99473531e9ee80d3.png

Which is why I think he's not a good coach, let alone the best every.

Sure he has been 'gm' also, but even if were just a 'coach', that 'coach' has a large part in decisions about players, and he has tried many, many times and had many opportunities to pick and develop another QB, most (all?) have failed. 

And as others have said, sure Tampa had a good roster, but Brady is 1 for 2 in Superbowls with another team with another coach...add to that a look at Peyton Manning...several coaches that were fired or middling without him that had an unreal record with him.  And Finally, Tomlin.  There is a guy who has had more than 1 or 2 seasons with bad QB's and has had winning records. Take the HOF QB away from BB, and he's just...bad.  As a head coach he can still design a good defense, so maybe that makes him 'less than bad' but in my mind he's certainly not good.

40 minutes ago, Quint said:

I look at it 2 ways...If they edited the comments out, then Political correctness is continuing to accelerate at an alarming rate. But the other side is....the 'other side' of that argument has no problem pointing it out and making a point of it either.

I am starting to find the people in these 'culture wars' who make a big deal about something to be even more tiresome than the thing they are making a big deal out of, on both sides of it.  There seems to be a need to always make a huge deal out of 'Look at that! Look at what THEY did!"  

Great, someone did something and now you are so offended you have to let everyone know about it. Wonderful. Just please keep moving along and don't let me know until someone is showing up at my front door looking to commit a crime...and don't tell me that It's coming...don't try to scare me into thinking it will happen. Let me know when it does, until then, take your thin skin someplace else.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Disagree 1

17 minutes ago, Quint said:

File this under The War on Christmas. I mean if NBC was anti Jesus they wouldn't have interviewed the QB who always starts with that statement. Editing it out later on likely was about shortening the clip and only including relevant comments. I would bet they would edit out a Muslim player's praise for Allah or another player giving a shoutout to his old Boy Scout troop back home.

Exactly how hard do Evangelicals want to press their thumb down on the rest of this country?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

5 hours ago, tom webster said:

He gets way too much credit for the first Super Bowl over the Bills. I think they even have his game plan notes in the Hall of Fame. What is fact is that the Bills scored 20 points in 19 minutes of action. It was the Giants offense and it’s controlled domination that beat the Bills that day.

All that being said, like everything, the answer is somewhere in the middle. You can’t blame him for everything before or after Brady but give him no credit for the Brady years. In my opinion his best quality was being able to adapt and bring a year or two ahead of everyone else. He won with defense and a running game and then he won with throwing the ball all over.

Absolutely. When I think of games that stamped Belichick as a great defensive mind, SBXXV doesn’t even make the list. He was lucky that Jim Kelly was too stubborn to feed Thurman all day long against that gimmick defense with the D front all in two point stances just waiting to get out leveraged by one of the best O lines the game has ever seen. And Levy and Marchibroda were remiss in not instructing Kelly to do just that. Instead, we played right into their hands. 

But as stupid as Kelly, Levy, and Marchibroda were, it was the defense that I point the finger at most. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, K-9 said:

Bill Belichick is not an average head coach what are we doing here lol 

• Agree 1

22 hours ago, inkman said:

When you have a HOF QB, you only really need a passable OC, be a good DC, and be a not awful head coach.  I think that BB qualifies.

IMHO, this is an indictment of how QB driven the league is now.  As a fan of both airing it out and Ground Chuck Knox, I miss the clash of philosophies and play selection for offences.

3 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

File this under The War on Christmas. I mean if NBC was anti Jesus they wouldn't have interviewed the QB who always starts with that statement. Editing it out later on likely was about shortening the clip and only including relevant comments. I would bet they would edit out a Muslim player's praise for Allah or another player giving a shoutout to his old Boy Scout troop back home.

Exactly how hard do Evangelicals want to press their thumb down on the rest of this country?

The blood should come shooting out from under their fingernail. 

2 hours ago, Thorny said:

Bill Belichick is not an average head coach what are we doing here lol 

I’m not doing anything here lol.

His record speaks for itself and that can’t be debated. I’m simply saying he is a better DC than HC because he is at genius level when it comes to defense.  Even in his poor seasons as a head coach, his defenses have always been tough to play against. And that’s without the luxury of higher draft picks over the years. He squeezes every ounce out of his D talent. 

I’m not one of those who begrudges his luck in having Brady, either. Every HC who has been dubbed as “great” can tie his greatness to a great QB as well. The two go hand in hand. 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Quint said:

Questionable Reasoning: Propaganda, Conspiracy, Nationalism, Some Fake News, Numerous Failed Fact Checks
Bias Rating: EXTREME RIGHT
Factual Reporting: VERY LOW
Press Freedom Rank: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: High Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: LOW CREDIBILITY

Things that make you go hmmm. Also, the political forum is that way --->

Edited by JujuFish
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 3

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

I’m not one of those who begrudges his luck in having Brady, either. Every HC who has been dubbed as “great” can tie his greatness to a great QB as well. The two go hand in hand. 

Many of us who don't think he's all that great do not 'begrudge' him for having Brady.  Its what he has done without Brady that is telling.  

If you have a sample size of what he does with a HOF QB and a large Sample Size without a HOF QB, then you have something to go on to compare.  Just because others may think any coach with a HOF QB is a 'great coach', I don't, thats the lazy argument. Show me what you do without a great QB...and I'll show you/tell you if you are a good/great coach or not.  Tomlin has faults, but he has gotten a variety of teams to the playoffs without great QB play. BB?  Not as much...

2 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

Many of us who don't think he's all that great do not 'begrudge' him for having Brady.  Its what he has done without Brady that is telling.  

If you have a sample size of what he does with a HOF QB and a large Sample Size without a HOF QB, then you have something to go on to compare.  Just because others may think any coach with a HOF QB is a 'great coach', I don't, thats the lazy argument. Show me what you do without a great QB...and I'll show you/tell you if you are a good/great coach or not.  Tomlin has faults, but he has gotten a variety of teams to the playoffs without great QB play. BB?  Not as much...

Glad you’re not among those Bills fans who do begrudge Belichick his luck in getting Brady in the 6th round and then develop into one of the best of all time. But many Bills fans are the very definition of the word when it comes to Belichick and Brady.

I think you misunderstood my point about great coaches and great QBs which is that I can’t think of a coach who has earned the reputation for greatness without also a great QB along side him. They tend to go together as I said. 

I agree Tomlin is also a great coach, but it’s worth remembering that he, too, had a HOF QB at the helm for 15 of his first 17 seasons with the Steelers, which further underscores the point about how the two go together. 

Don’t know that I can agree with the idea that Tomlin has gotten a “variety of teams to the playoffs”, either. Both he and Belichick reached the playoffs just once without their HOF QBs so far.