Vlad Tarasenko traded to the NY Rangers

Brawndo

32 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

They gave a first rounder for him?  Yikes. He's not the sniper he once was. 

I think it is a good deal for both teams.

He's not the sniper he once was, but he isn't totally washed yet.  In terms of production he can be a very good 3rd line winger, a decent 2nd line winger, and can fill in on the first line in case of injuries.  He's also a rental so while you only get him for the remainder of this year, you aren't going to have to fit him under the cap beyond this year. Plus while this is a deep draft coming up, the Rangers are going to be picking in the late part of the first round, so that pick wouldn't be a piece that would help them for a few years anyway.

For St. Louis, as per my previous post, they are on their way down and their young talent pool is awful. They need a rebuild, they need high draft picks (their own might be) and the need multiple draft picks. This Rangers first fills the 'multiple needed picks'.  They aren't likely to be good again for a few years, but they need to sell off what they can now. For their sake, you hope you can trade another vet piece for another first (ROR, or maybe you package something with ROR to get a late first if him alone isn't good enough), then you bottom out next year and get another high pick and hopefully that is enough to turn things around. Because otherwise, that franchise isn't looking good going forward.

2 hours ago, RochesterExpat said:

Does he sign a new contract in NY? If so, how is that going to possibly work with their cap situation?

I'd like to buy one slightly used RFA, K'Andre Miller, thanks.

We've got plenty of lefties, but he'd look awfully good in a Sabres sweater.

The Rangers are clearing some dead cap this offseason (Shattenkirk, Girardi), and I like the Mikkola pickup for them so they have a valid 3rd pair LHD for this season. But you're right... Miller is going to sturdy top-4 for a long time (and probably a maybe a top-level #2 with the right partner). They may have to bridge him, Lafreniere, and Chytil to keep them all and then risk the big paydays as the cap escalates in future seasons.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

We've got plenty of lefties, but he'd look awfully good in a Sabres sweater.

The Rangers are clearing some dead cap this offseason (Shattenkirk, Girardi), and I like the Mikkola pickup for them so they have a valid 3rd pair LHD for this season. But you're right... Miller is going to sturdy top-4 for a long time (and probably a maybe a top-level #2 with the right partner). They may have to bridge him, Lafreniere, and Chytil to keep them all and then risk the big paydays as the cap escalates in future seasons.

Almost like Drury is mediocre at his job. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

Rangers mismanaging assets. Happy to see. They’ll be better in the short run but they’re handicapping their future. 

They're going for it. (I think they'll be lucky to make it out of their division's bracket -- even with Shesterkin), but their future is now.

Oddly, because for the past few years we could see all their young talent assembling, then adding Panarin, but their recent top 2 draft picks in Lafreniere and Kakko haven't really ever taken off.

Edited by DarthEbriate
too few Ks, too many As
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DarthEbriate said:

They're going for it. (I think they'll be lucky to make it out of their division's bracket -- even with Shesterkin), but their future is now.

Oddly, because for the past few years we could see all their young talent assembling, then adding Panarin, but their recent top 2 draft picks in Lafreniere and Kaako haven't really ever taken off.

There's this group around here that talk about  Granato as just some dev coach... well, development matters. Exhibit A.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Just now, LGR4GM said:

There's this group around here that talk about  Granato as just some dev coach... well, development matters. Exhibit A.

Definitely.

I had to go back and look at some of their drafts. I like Schneider and Miller --- they're doing fine on the defense. But Kravtsov, Kakko, Lafreniere...  none of them have done anything more than Mittelstadt, and they don't have the Krueger excuse.

By the time Quinn reaches the GP that Lafreniere has so far, Quinner will have many more points.
Cozens is already leaps and bounds better than Kakko.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, OverPowerYou said:

I wonder if the blues would trade us Ryan Oreilly? 🤣🤣🤣

Joke, I know, but I'd guess they will trade him then so it is pretty interesting to see where he ends up. Hate him as much as you like, but if healthy he will be a bigger playoff impact player than Tarasenko. 

Rangers are a better team now though so I bet they knock off the Devils. Not Carolina though. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.