2023-24 Sabres Early Thoughts

GASabresIUFAN

Which Current Sabres or Prospects will make the team next year? Choose up to 23  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Which forwards will make the team next season? (Pick up to 9) - Thompson, Tuch, Skinner and Cozens are a given.

• Greenway - 2 years left on current contract
    • Quinn - 2 years left on current contract (RFA)
    • Peterka - 2 years left on current contract (RFA)
    • Mittelstadt - 1 year left on current contract (RFA)
    • Krebs - 1 year left on current contract (RFA)
    • Olofsson - 1 year left on current contract
    • Jost - RFA
    • Girgensons - UFA
    • Okposo - UFA
    • Hinostroza - UFA
    • Kulich - 3 years left on ELC
    • Savoie - 3 years left on ELC
    • Rousek - RFA
  2. 2. Which Defender will make the team next year? (Pick up to 5) - Dahlin, Power and Samuelsson are a given.

• Jokiharju - 1 year left on contract (RFA)
    • Lyubushkin - 1 year left on contract
    • Stillman - 1 year left on contract (RFA)
    • Bryson - 1 year left on contract (RFA)
    • Clague - RFA
    • Johnson (if he signs his ELC)
  3. 3. Which Goaltenders make the Sabres next season? (Pick up to 2)

• UPL - 1 year left on contract (RFA)
    • Comrie - I year left on contract
    • Anderson - UFA
    • Levi (If he signs his ELC)

This poll is closed to new votes

37 minutes ago, SABRES 0311 said:

I think the hardest part of the goalie problem is solved with Levi in net. I’d like Joker and Boosh to be the third pair and a Muel type player with Power. Another power forward would be nice. What I think the Sabres need to really pay attention to is the PK next year.

This suggest to me that we need a different coaching strategy, which may mean new assistants.....which IMHO we've needed all along.  We need new assistants with a proven NHL level pedigree (vs. what we have today).  I'd also add the new assistants need to help the PP as well, as it is lame and too easy to defend against (at least in the second half of the season).

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Carmel Corn said:

This suggest to me that we need a different coaching strategy, which may mean new assistants.....which IMHO we've needed all along.  We need new assistants with a proven NHL level pedigree (vs. what we have today).  I'd also add the new assistants need to help the PP as well, as it is lame and too easy to defend against (at least in the second half of the season).

A million times yes. I look behind the players sometimes and scratch my head.

Lindy never wanted top assistants either. His pierogie. But he had earned the right.

The cynic in me gets fired up. How seriously should this franchise be taken with those guys alongside DG?

I'll get blowback of course, but there can't be anyone here who thinks THAT is the coaching staff when they're in the final.

Edited by PASabreFan

3 hours ago, Carmel Corn said:

Who are assistants with NHL pedigree?   Are they former assistants with other NHL teams, or former players. 
Our assistants meet these criteria.  

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

A million times yes. I look behind the players sometimes and scratch my head.

Lindy never wanted top assistants either. His pierogie. But he had earned the right.

The cynic in me gets fired up. How seriously should this franchise be taken with those guys alongside DG?

I'll get blowback of course, but there can't be anyone here who thinks THAT is the coaching staff when they're in the final.

Why did Lindy never want top assistants?   Odd comment.  

37 minutes ago, Night Train said:

But Rob Ray is friends with " Matty " (Ellis). Sigh...

Yes. We need to improve the PK, PP and ability to play D. Plus someone to provide directions to the weight room to our younger players that get pushed around every game. Nothing changes...until you try to change for the better. 

Why are Matt Ellis, and Dan Girardi for that matter, bad assistant coaches?  Be specific?    Are Michael Peca and Matt Weber, both in Rochester, bad too?   It looks to me like our players in Rochester come to the Sabres ready to play.  Why would Ellis be worse than Peca/ Weber?  Is it because everyone here makes fun of Ellis because he was a 4th line player.   Some of the best coaches in the NHL could not ever make that level and sniff the NHL.   

I agree the PK stinks - and yes that could be coaching, or players, or both   

The defensive system is 100% on Granato.  The team plays his system, his way.  No assistant is going to change that.  

Strength Training-   Do you seriously think the Sabres don’t work with players diet and strength training?  They have an 11 person “performance department” that does that and much more.  

• Like (+1) 2

35 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Who are assistants with NHL pedigree?   Are they former assistants with other NHL teams, or former players. 

Why did Lindy never want top assistants?   Odd comment.  

Only Lindy knows. Eleven, too, probably.

I remember doing the research. Almost every NHL head coach had someone on staff with NHL or AHL coaching experience. Coaching trees are fun to consider as well.

Edited by PASabreFan

1 minute ago, PASabreFan said:

I remember doing the research. Almost every NHL head coach had someone on staff with NHL or AHL coaching experience. Coaching trees are fun to consider as well.

Lindy has Taylor on his staff now (former Rochester HC).  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Lindy has Taylor on his staff now (former Rochester HC).  

And a former NHL coach in Brunette and a former AHL coach. Would be interesting to hear Lindy talk about an apparent change in philosophy. Can't argue with the results.

15 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

The coaching tree thing intrigues me somewhat.  Did any of Lindys Butfalo assistants go on to head coaching gigs?  Genuinely curious now that its been mentioned.

56 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Memo to KA.

Sign (or trade for) a good goalie - Adin Hill? Demko, Hart, Saros 

Trade for Marcus Foligno

Sign Erik Haula

Sign Orlov

Find a LHD partner for Lyubushkin

Trade Jokiharju, Bryson, UPL, VO and Comrie

I don't think Foligno can keep up with this team.

And i don't see why people are so down on Jokiharju? Dude's played 268 NHL games and is just 23 years old. He still has another level to go. You won't get fair value for him and at $2.5 million he's great value for this team. Stick him on the 3rd pairing and you can move him up if theres any disruption to the top 2 pairings, as he's someone who has experience playing with the skilled guys. 

• Agree 3

15 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Just for the record:

Ellis: Forwards. 14 seasons of pro hockey as a player, maybe half of that  in the NHL. Moved over to the academy of hockey when he retired, then spent half a season in the Sabres front office before moving in as an interim assistant when Krueger was fired and never leaving.

Wilford: Defence. 14 seasons of pro hockey as a player in the minors and Europe. Became an AHL assistant immediately after retiring, spending 6 seasons with the Ducks minor league affiliate, before being promoted to the big club for four more. Known for helping develop the Ducks blueline including guys like Montour, Theodore, Manson, Fowler and Lindholm. Moved directly from there to Granato’s Buffalo staff.

Bales: Goalies. Spent 9 years playing minor pro in North America followed with another 9 in Europe. Started as a development coach for Pittsburgh shortly after retiring, promoted to goalie coach after 2 years. Spent 4 years working with Fleury and others, winning 2 cups, then spent 2 years in Carolina. Came to Buffalo when offered status as a full assistant, rather than just goalie, and spent the past 4 years here.

Christie: General. 10 years is a minor pro player, some of it under Granato, then moving directly into 20 years as the winningest head coach in ECHL history, interrupted by 2 as an AHL assistant. Also spent a lot of his ECHL time doubling as a director of hockey ops.

On the surface, Bales and Wilford are well-credentialed, Matt Ellis is a relative neophyte as a coach, and Christie is an unusual choice and probably a Granato crony. I’m not really sure what his role is.

On 4/6/2023 at 6:46 PM, GASabresIUFAN said:

Memo to KA.

Sign (or trade for) a good goalie - Adin Hill? Demko, Hart, Saros 

Trade for Marcus Foligno

Sign Erik Haula

Sign Orlov

Find a LHD partner for Lyubushkin

Trade Jokiharju, Bryson, UPL, VO and Comrie

I too would like to see another power forward added for the top nine. The top three lines are capable of multiple combos. Every guy you want traded would be fine by me. 

3 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Who of Boston, Toronto or Tampa do they knock out? 

Tampa... gettin old and if Bastan has mass retirements after this year could be them too... Bergeron and Krechi would leave big holes

Edited by North Buffalo
  • Like (+1) 1

On 4/6/2023 at 9:46 PM, Two or less said:
On 4/6/2023 at 8:46 PM, GASabresIUFAN said:

Trade for Marcus Foligno

I don't think Foligno can keep up with this team.

Yep.  It would be like bringing back Pommer:  Expecting him to perform like he did during his first stint with the Sabres and then realizing there are a lot more miles on the odometer.

• Agree 1

Boston is good and will remain good, but they were a wild card team just last year. They pushed all their chips in, as they should at Bergeron/Krejci's age, and their continuity, leadership and coaching have led to the best regular season team in league history. They will lose some depth, could lose those centers. The Sabres should absolutely believe that they can jump Boston (and Toronto, and Tampa) next year because they can.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Randall Flagg said:

Boston is good and will remain good, but they were a wild card team just last year. They pushed all their chips in, as they should at Bergeron/Krejci's age, and their continuity, leadership and coaching have led to the best regular season team in league history. They will lose some depth, could lose those centers. The Sabres should absolutely believe that they can jump Boston (and Toronto, and Tampa) next year because they can.

Unpopular opinion, but if the Sabres don't make the playoffs, from a 2023-24 competition perspective, the best thing for Buffalo and the rest of the Atlantic is for the Bruins to win the Stanley Cup to almost guarantee Bergeron and Krejci retire. The Bruins will have a tiny bit of cap space but no one on the market will replicate what those 2 centers do in all zones (and certainly not at the cap hit they made this season). The Bruins withstood injuries to Marchand and McAvoy handily, but they aren't the machines that make the entire team go 5-on-5, PP, and SH (along with Pastrnak).

With the Sabres eliminated from the playoffs and two games left this season, here is a quick look at the status quo roster with cap cost.

Forwards: (Cap Cost $44,812,856 - This assumes QO's of 787,500 for Rousek and $2.25 mill for Jost)

lIne 1 Skinner TnT Tuch

line 2 JJP Cozens Quinn

line 3 VO Mitts Savoie

line 4 Rousek Krebs Greenway (Jost)

Defense: (Cap Cost - $19,652,381)

A. Dahlin Samuelson

B. Power Jokiharju

C. Stillman Lyubushkin

D. Bryson 

Goalies: (Cap Cost - $3,562,500)

Levi, UPL, and Comrie

Total Cap - $68,027,737 for a complete 23-man roster from internal players.  

Note: Clague's QO is 787,500.  

KA literally doesn't have to do anything for Buffalo this summer to field a complete team other than re-sign RFAs Jost and Rousek.

There was some criticism in another thread of posters suggesting KA will add a veteran goalie this off-season.  The critic said that KA wasn't going to bring in an outside goalie because he had 3 under contract.  That same remark can be leveled at every position group on the Sabres.  We have 7 D under contract, plus an RFA (Clague) and we have 11 forwards under contract and 2 RFAs.]

There are also 4 UFAs of note in Okposo, Girgensons, Hinostroza and Anderson.

Does anyone actually believe that the status quo roster outline above will be the opening-day roster?  Considering their minimal PT down the stretch, does anyone actually envision VO, Bryson, or Clague on the roster in the fall?  Given KA's attempt to acquire Chychrun at the deadline, does anyone really expect Stillman to be a starter next season or Jokiharju as Power's partner? 

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Let the record show that we finished the season just 7 points behind the Lightning.

We were 2 points ahead of them in 2023, and matched up exactly head to head: lost 5-3 and 6-5 in OT, then won 6-5 in OT and 5-3. They will not be better next year. We will.

Next year’s goal should not be a wild card, but top 3 in the division.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Let the record show that we finished the season just 7 points behind the Lightning.

We were 2 points ahead of them in 2023, and matched up exactly head to head: lost 5-3 and 6-5 in OT, then won 6-5 in OT and 5-3. They will not be better next year. We will.

Assuming KA adds the correct help on defense and in goal.

PS even with that awful 2-8-2 streak in Feb/Mar the Sabres still posted 47 points in the 2nd half.  Toronto only had 54.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, dudacek said:

Off topic but I want the Bolts to break the Leafs hearts one last time, then fade away.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.