2023-24 Sabres Early Thoughts

GASabresIUFAN

Which Current Sabres or Prospects will make the team next year? Choose up to 23  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Which forwards will make the team next season? (Pick up to 9) - Thompson, Tuch, Skinner and Cozens are a given.

• Greenway - 2 years left on current contract
    • Quinn - 2 years left on current contract (RFA)
    • Peterka - 2 years left on current contract (RFA)
    • Mittelstadt - 1 year left on current contract (RFA)
    • Krebs - 1 year left on current contract (RFA)
    • Olofsson - 1 year left on current contract
    • Jost - RFA
    • Girgensons - UFA
    • Okposo - UFA
    • Hinostroza - UFA
    • Kulich - 3 years left on ELC
    • Savoie - 3 years left on ELC
    • Rousek - RFA
  2. 2. Which Defender will make the team next year? (Pick up to 5) - Dahlin, Power and Samuelsson are a given.

• Jokiharju - 1 year left on contract (RFA)
    • Lyubushkin - 1 year left on contract
    • Stillman - 1 year left on contract (RFA)
    • Bryson - 1 year left on contract (RFA)
    • Clague - RFA
    • Johnson (if he signs his ELC)
  3. 3. Which Goaltenders make the Sabres next season? (Pick up to 2)

• UPL - 1 year left on contract (RFA)
    • Comrie - I year left on contract
    • Anderson - UFA
    • Levi (If he signs his ELC)

This poll is closed to new votes

22 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Every position behind the Sabres bench, as well as that of the GM, is held by a first-timer. Guys who might never get another shot. Even if it's subconscious, I think that a small part of what they do is done with this in mind, because of how deliberate and cautious they have been to this point, and the biggest piece of evidence in its favor would be if they truly did go this route in net this summer, when every other facet of the organization, roster, and fanbase is begging and screaming for wins/playoffs and is now capable of getting there

Yes, in June everyone knew the six best Sabres would all simultaneously have career years, so the brain trust ignored all the fantastic goalies lining up to come to Buffalo and targeted the most milquetoast goalie they could find in order to not raise expectations too much.

That’s certainly what I would have done under the same circumstances. Who wouldn’t?

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Yes, in June everyone knew the six best Sabres would all simultaneously have career years, so the brain trust ignored all the fantastic goalies lining up to come to Buffalo and targeted the most milquetoast goalie they could find in order to not raise expectations too much.

That’s certainly what I would have done under the same circumstances. Who wouldn’t?

They could have acquired better goaltending and better defense to bolster an obviously-promising core group and they elected not to, telling us that they would not do so every step of the way. They talk like they are going to do the same thing again next year, and if they do, it is a mistake even larger than this first one. But it sure does keep their rope nice and long, which is about the only positive I can find for anyone involved. Hence cynicism. Until it's truly different, it's not different, and while the players have gotten me to buy into them, I'm not there yet with the guys telling me how bad today's elite will be in 2 years

That they did not make real additions to the roster this summer is not proof that it was not possible, nor is the fact that Detroit's goalie addition is mediocre too, it is always in all cases POSSIBLE to make your team's weaknesses a nonfactor so that when you do get a pair of historic seasons plus 4 more career years and injury luck you'll never see again, it doesn't wind up with a cushion between you and the worst playoff teams.

I've always had my views on roster building, they don't really change, and I'm going to push against a GM when his plans contradict what I believe to be best for the team

i worry that I haven't seen him make a key move that wasn't basically forced (this is not to say that he didn't do well on the core send-off last year, he did very well)

He is going to have to do this at some point and has been gun-shy when it needs to be instigated rather than obviously dealing guys with no intention of coming back

That said, it sounds like people in the know think Friedmann is wrong and if he is, then that's a good thing

But Kevyn needs to prove to me as much as Donny does. Theyve done well to get to this point, they are obviously not incompetent, but I am going to hold them to the standard to which I will hold the players, I want an organization that oozes desperation for victory in every single action they take. The guys on the ice have shown me more 

The organization as it stands will probably not be able to take every single step we need to get to the ultimate goal, Kevyn will need to interject and put a real stamp on it, especially when two major areas of the roster are hemorrhaging. Don't let them bleed, that was the worst of Botterill's traits 

• Like (+1) 1

When I see promising teams who need help promptly receive that help, I see teams that compete for championships year in and year out

When I see promising teams earn help and not get it in timely fashion, I see endless firing cycles and cores that "didn't have what it takes," apparently obvious in hindsight

I haven't made any sort of final judgment, just reacting to things i'm reading 

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Sarcasm aside, maybe they didn't expect the level of development they got (this quickly) and so they expected to have a mediocre at best season and had no expectations for playoffs so they didn't spend draft capital or prospects in getting a goalie now (or additional D) with their sights on 2023-24 (hopefully, and not 24-25).

maybe with the development they saw happen they will realize the time is now (23-24) and they will work on fixing this for next year. They have to realize this, don't they???

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

Every position behind the Sabres bench, as well as that of the GM, is held by a first-timer. Guys who might never get another shot. Even if it's subconscious, I think that a small part of what they do is done with this in mind, because of how deliberate and cautious they have been to this point, and the biggest piece of evidence in its favor would be if they truly did go this route in net this summer, when every other facet of the organization, roster, and fanbase is begging and screaming for wins/playoffs and is now capable of getting there

Calling Granato a "first- timer" is something you could do. You're wrong, he's been a head coach at every level of hockey but you could do it. At best you're deliberately trying to slight him. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

They could have acquired better goaltending and better defense to bolster an obviously-promising core group and they elected not to, telling us that they would not do so every step of the way. They talk like they are going to do the same thing again next year, and if they do, it is a mistake even larger than this first one. But it sure does keep their rope nice and long, which is about the only positive I can find for anyone involved. Hence cynicism. Until it's truly different, it's not different, and while the players have gotten me to buy into them, I'm not there yet with the guys telling me how bad today's elite will be in 2 years

That they did not make real additions to the roster this summer is not proof that it was not possible, nor is the fact that Detroit's goalie addition is mediocre too, it is always in all cases POSSIBLE to make your team's weaknesses a nonfactor so that when you do get a pair of historic seasons plus 4 more career years and injury luck you'll never see again, it doesn't wind up with a cushion between you and the worst playoff teams.

I've always had my views on roster building, they don't really change, and I'm going to push against a GM when his plans contradict what I believe to be best for the team

i worry that I haven't seen him make a key move that wasn't basically forced (this is not to say that he didn't do well on the core send-off last year, he did very well)

He is going to have to do this at some point and has been gun-shy when it needs to be instigated rather than obviously dealing guys with no intention of coming back

That said, it sounds like people in the know think Friedmann is wrong and if he is, then that's a good thing

But Kevyn needs to prove to me as much as Donny does. Theyve done well to get to this point, they are obviously not incompetent, but I am going to hold them to the standard to which I will hold the players, I want an organization that oozes desperation for victory in every single action they take. The guys on the ice have shown me more 

The organization as it stands will probably not be able to take every single step we need to get to the ultimate goal, Kevyn will need to interject and put a real stamp on it, especially when two major areas of the roster are hemorrhaging. Don't let them bleed, that was the worst of Botterill's traits 

Desperation cuts two ways. Food for thought... see Pittsburgh at this past deadline. 

2023-24 is when I thought they actually had a shot at the playoffs.

Prior to the late season rally last year, they seemed miles away from competing like an actual NHL team. Instantly fold if the opponent scored 2 goals. 

Now our expectations have increased. Maybe a bit too fast but I do wish to see how they address the Goalie position and a few other spots this coming off-season. 

They can't win at home. Try solving that speed bump first. 

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

The idea that simply doing in nothing in goal is an option is certainly reinforced by the fact if one even *mentions* how poor the GT has indisputably been, posters will swoop in with the “well, NO goalie could have done well, it’s the D!” The outright refusal to admit its both. They can’t even allow the goalie point to be made. 

I think there’s actually 2 ways to look at Friedman’s report: it’s not about whether Adams *intends*, full out, to buy time with Levi and he’s already made up his mind. No, I’m sure Adams is OPEN to other moves.

But we already know this. We know he was “open” to signing Ullmark, he attempted to add a different G this past summer - the distinction is the price he was willing to pay to do it. He wasn’t willing to break his evaluation, there wasn’t going to be an overpay, the priority was the future so we’d only add in the now under ideal circumstances 

it’s not about if KA is planning to start Levi. We know he’s going to give him every opportunity - and we know he’s “open” to a move elsewhere. it comes down to how willing KA is to prioritize that move, should it become necessary. If KA ardently sticks to his thing again, he’d happily take the lower expectations that come with, anyone would 

it’s not, “will he or won’t he”, if he doesn’t upgrade in net, even going on 3-4 years, it’ll be “what could Adams have even done?” But in reality, fixing GT is going to come down to how much he truly values it being fixed, for this coming season 

Edited by Thorny

16 hours ago, steveoath said:

That's not what was said on the podcast at all. Friedman surmised that the Sabres will give Levi every opportunity to win a job if he's good enough.

This is important. "If he is good enough" not "Levi is the goalie and everyone else can suck it". 

Adams holds two thoughts simultaneously, 1) Levi should be the goalie of the future, 2) the gt this year wasn't good enough. 

What he does this summer should be scrutinized. The defense needs improving and the goaltending needs improving and he needs to accomplish both. 

• Agree 3

31 minutes ago, Thorny said:

The idea that simply doing in nothing in goal is an option is certainly reinforced by the fact if one even *mentions* how poor the GT has indisputably been, posters will swoop in with the “well, NO goalie could have done well, it’s the D!” The outright refusal to admit its both. They can’t even allow the goalie point to be made. 

I think there’s actually 2 ways to look at Friedman’s report: it’s not about whether Adams *intends*, full out, to buy time with Levi and he’s already made up his mind. No, I’m sure Adams is OPEN to other moves.

But we already know this. We know he was “open” to signing Ullmark, he attempted to add a different G this past summer - the distinction is the price he was willing to pay to do it. He wasn’t willing to break his evaluation, there wasn’t going to be an overpay, the priority was the future so we’d only add in the now under ideal circumstances 

it’s not about if KA is planning to start Levi. We know he’s going to give him every opportunity - and we know he’s “open” to a move elsewhere. it comes down to how willing KA is to prioritize that move, should it become necessary. If KA ardently sticks to his thing again, he’d happily take the lower expectations that come with, anyone would 

it’s not, “will he or won’t he”, if he doesn’t upgrade in net, even going on 3-4 years, it’ll be “what could Adams have even done?” But in reality, fixing GT is going to come down to how much he truly values it being fixed, for this coming season 

To the bolded, absolutely.

And whether it be from internal candidates currently here (please don't let that be the way it plays out), guys in the system that aren't here yet (please don't let him be banking on it), or somebody brought in externally (ding, ding, ding); the goaltending has to be fixed next year.

As others have said, this team is a year ahead of schedule.  Adams needs to have an actual 'he can play 50+ games #1' heading into the season come October and if that guy gets supplanted because UPL, Comrie, or Levi took the crease away from him, well that's a great problem to have and they now have legit NHL depth at the most important position.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned (at least haven't seen it mentioned) is that with the way the Sabres have played this year, they could actually be getting out of the 'no sane pro without ties to WNY will nor should want to come to Buffalo' mode we've seen for pretty much the last decade.  Yes, the Sabres as currently constructed and instructed give up a ton of high danger chances, but they create even more than they give up and as we've seen these last 2 games (and sporatically earlier this year) they can actually play reasonable D.  With a plan of locking down the top 4 D and playing more responsibly than they usually do, a good goalie might actually want to be in Buffalo.  (Note, the word was "might" not "will.")

This team is 2 players away from being a lock for the playoffs next year.  Bring in 2 more depth pieces and with the growth the kids should have from now to next season, this team really could do damage.

2 minutes ago, Night Train said:

Is UPL one of the 2 Goalies going forward ? There's a question. 

For next year.  Almost definitely.  Beyond that, he has the opportunity to play his way into that slot but he'll have to earn it.

22 hours ago, Thorny said:

It’s tough to say. “Levi as job security“ only works as a Plan with large-scale buy-in from the fan base* to consciously keeping expectations manageable. It’s tough for me to guess if this would be viable, as it depends on who you ask. Lots of calls for playoffs to be the expectation next year, but there’s also a lot of conveyed sentiment that we already are on the right track, no? Almost as if “being on track” is the goal itself, in the age of “watching as GM**”. More so than tangible results. I’m having a difficulty determining if timeline is any sort of concern at all to this base: ie, do results *ever* matter if we are improving in perception? In the (obviously hypothetical) universe where we improve by one point every season, is that worthy of a 20 year GM term where we find ourselves in the playoffs at the end? 

Its all really interesting to me. No firm conclusions. I obviously put much more emphasis on the resource of Time (and therefore, timeline) than some others, re: the justification, viability, and analysis of the plan. 

* caveat here being if the owners are so bought in to a long leash it doesn’t matter what the fans think 

**i find this particularly interesting. Those that watch in this very principled, “arm chair GM” way often say those that watch more emotionally do so as if it’s a “video game”, and not tuned in the mechanics of how it all really works. But I do the “online GM thing (poorly, sure)” all the time, and I actually see THAT as the video game. An online simulator. THAT’s the game. 

I think real life sometimes is remembering this is, in its realist form, actually a professional *performance*. It’s a show. An entertainment product being delivered to store shelves. The sport and league may actually be best served by remembering its *actually ok* to value, most, seeing your team Win a Game in the only moment that, really, exists: now. 

Tldr:

I bought LEGO: The Hobbit for PS4 years ago. Included missions for An Unexpected Journey, and Desolation of Smaug - somehow they released it as an “unfinished product” as the missions for the third film were promised to be released “for free”, as dlc later on, all you had to do was “buy in” for the initial release. Well I bought it and beat it. 

They never released the content for part 3. 

So, what you are telling us is that the Sabres are going to miss the playoffs this year, Terry is going to sell the team over the summer, and it will move to Houston, and we will be sh!t out of luck?

21 hours ago, JohnC said:

I'm not sure what you mean by "twitches" but the goalie situation in general entering next season makes me queasy. It seems that too much is being on foisted on the shoulders on Levi. 

Unless he is so good that they can't not have him on the Sabres, I really think he will be in Rochester, with UPL as starter and Comrie as BU for the Sabres.

16 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

Or, they told us the plan, and are actually sticking to it, and we are okay with,... for, like the first time in over a decade, I'm okay with it.

If they start next season not having spent to the cap floor for actual skaters, though, They all can F off!

4 hours ago, Night Train said:

Is UPL one of the 2 Goalies going forward ? There's a question. 

Yes.

1 minute ago, SwampD said:

So, what you are telling us is that the Sabres are going to miss the playoffs this year, Terry is going to sell the team over the summer, and it will move to Houston, and we will be sh!t out of luck?

Unless he is so good that they can't not have him on the Sabres, I really think he will be in Rochester, with UPL as starter and Comrie as BU for the Sabres.

Or, they told us the plan, and are actually sticking to it, and we are okay with,... for, like the first time in over a decade, I'm okay with it.

If they start next season not having spent to the cap floor for actual skaters, though, They all can F off!

Yes.

If the plan is what Friedman speculated, which drew this post out of me, we are not okay with it 

4 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I've been at work and I'm sick, so kinda cloudy. Should I know what this is referencing?

Friedman mused on 32 thoughts that the Sabres would give Levi a chance to win the job heading into October.  Somebody that listened to it decided it meant that the Sabres were standing pat with the goaltending this summer.  Most expect (hope) that was merely a very poor interpretation.

5 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I've been at work and I'm sick, so kinda cloudy. Should I know what this is referencing?

Nah because I was all over the place and didn't quote it directly I don't think haha. 

I was triggered by a suggestion that Kevyn might ride into next year with an organizational goalie pipeline containing Levi, Comrie, UPL, and Rochester guys with the idea that Levi has a wide open highway paved for him without obstacle 

The suggestion is probably fake and wrong 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Yes.

No. Just “bird in hand”, basic stuff 

ignore at will 

Edited by Thorny

15 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

The irony is that he did a great job on the 3 forced traded (Jack, Sam, Risto) so he does seem to have the acumen to make good deals.

Given the conversations from 2 other threads, I have come away with a simple game plan for this off-season

1) Sign Orlov to be Power's partner and mentor to the young D group. 4 years 5.25 per season (3 years would be better, but he may want the 4th come)

2) Trade for any of the 3 goalies - Demko, Saros, or Hart - Trade 1st in 2024, a 2nd in 2023, and Rosen? Less?

3) Move on from VO, Bryson, Comrie, Anderson, and Girgensons (or KO)  - Trading VO gets us back some of the assets spent on the goalie.

4) Re-sign one of either KO or Z, but not both - KO - 1yr 3.5 million

5) Re-sign Jost and Clague - 2 years at 2 mill for Jost (PS Happy 25th).  $925 K for one year for Clague

6) Extend Power and Dahlin - Dahlin 8 years at 11 per? Power - impossible to even forecast.

7) Sign a 4th-line center who is good on the draw and who can contribute offensively like Eric Haula.  Haula, 31, signed two years with Bos at 2.375 for 2 years and has exceeded that contract value both years.  What about 2 years @ 2.75 per season?

Skinner Tnt Tuch

JJP Cozens Quinn

Mitts Krebs Kulich/Savoie

Greenway Haula KO

Jost

Samuelsson Dahlin

Power Orlov

Jokiharju Lyubushkin 

Clague Stillman

Demko/UPL

Cost around 79.75 for that roster.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

42 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Given the conversations from 2 other threads, I have come away with a simple game plan for this off-season

1) Sign Orlov to be Power's partner and mentor to the young D group. 4 years 5.25 per season (3 years would be better, but he may want the 4th come)

2) Trade for any of the 3 goalies - Demko, Saros, or Hart - Trade 1st in 2024, a 2nd in 2023, and Rosen? Less?

3) Move on from VO, Bryson, Comrie, Anderson, and Girgensons (or KO)  - Trading VO gets us back some of the assets spent on the goalie.

4) Re-sign one of either KO or Z, but not both - KO - 1yr 3.5 million

5) Re-sign Jost and Clague - 2 years at 2 mill for Jost (PS Happy 25th).  $925 K for one year for Clague

6) Extend Power and Dahlin - Dahlin 8 years at 11 per? Power - impossible to even forecast.

7) Sign a 4th-line center who is good on the draw and who can contribute offensively like Eric Haula.  Huala signed two years with Bos at 2.375 for 2 years and has exceeded that contract value both years, Only 31.  What about 2 years @ 2.75 per season?

Skinner Tnt Tuch

JJP Cozens Quinn

Mitts Krebs Kulich/Savoie

Greenway Haula KO

Jost

Samuelsson Dahlin

Power Orlov

Jokiharju Lyubushkin 

Clague Stillman

Demko/UPL

Cost around 79.75 for that roster.

I’d trade 24s 1st, Rosen and a 2nd for Saros but neither Demko and especially Hart deserve anywhere near that value.

Demko, I’d offer Comrie, Rosen and Philly’s 2nd. 
Hart, at most Rosen and Comrie.

Trading 1sts for goalies is rarely a good move. Demko would be a buy low situation and Hart has been better as of late and as a rookie but terrible in-between. Only Saros deserves a 1st since he is both a consistent higher tier goalie and is playing well.

I don’t hate the Orlov idea, if you can get him at 4x5.5 I’d certainly accept barring significant playoff injury.

I think Dahlin stays around 10mil at 8 years. 

Haula is also a pretty good idea if you can sell him on the role. 

I might keep both Girgs and Okposo and send Clague to Rochester for extra depth. 

• Like (+1) 1

Jost on a pace for 12 goals and 20 assists over 82 games with the Sabres.  I'd sign up for a 4th line with him, Zemgus if you resign them.

You get a respectable 4th line and I really want Zemgus back for the PK. He is the best Sabres forward by far there on a team that is lacking on the PK.

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/14/2023 at 6:09 PM, thewookie1 said:

I’d trade 24s 1st, Rosen and a 2nd for Saros but neither Demko and especially Hart deserve anywhere near that value.

Demko, I’d offer Comrie, Rosen and Philly’s 2nd. 
Hart, at most Rosen and Comrie.

Trading 1sts for goalies is rarely a good move. Demko would be a buy low situation and Hart has been better as of late and as a rookie but terrible in-between. Only Saros deserves a 1st since he is both a consistent higher tier goalie and is playing well.

I don’t hate the Orlov idea, if you can get him at 4x5.5 I’d certainly accept barring significant playoff injury.

I think Dahlin stays around 10mil at 8 years. 

Haula is also a pretty good idea if you can sell him on the role. 

I might keep both Girgs and Okposo and send Clague to Rochester for extra depth. 

The big wild cards for me are Kulich and Savoie.  I thought at the beginning of the year that Savoie would be in Buffalo next season because he’d have outgrown the CHL. I vacillated on that opinion at times, but the way he is playing right now he may give the Sabres no choice.  Kulich is also coming on strong.  Both guys’ contracts will slide if they don’t play.  Kulich is an easier answer in that he can be in Rochester and they’ll want him to get stronger. Savoie is a harder question.

I’m not married to the Orlov idea, but he fits the criteria of our needs on D; proven top four D, can play either side, proficient in an uptempo system, plus he adds playoffs experience and a veteran mentor.  There are plenty of other choices, but when KA acquired Stillman, he mentioned how well he fit on a Florida team that plays a similar style to the Sabres.  I suspect that any vet they acquire will go through that same filter.

The Haula idea grew out of our terrible PK. The Sabres are 32nd in the NHL at faceoffs won short handed at 36.8%.  It seems to me that adding someone who can kill penalties, win critical in zone faceoffs especially on the PK, while adding some scoring and toughness 5 on 5 will make a huge difference in the team.  I just don’t see Jost or Krebs playing that role, although both have come a long way this season as forecheckers and in the D zone play.

The Washington game confirmed for the 50th time or so that we really need help on defense and in goal.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.