2023-24 Sabres Early Thoughts

GASabresIUFAN

Which Current Sabres or Prospects will make the team next year? Choose up to 23  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Which forwards will make the team next season? (Pick up to 9) - Thompson, Tuch, Skinner and Cozens are a given.

• Greenway - 2 years left on current contract
    • Quinn - 2 years left on current contract (RFA)
    • Peterka - 2 years left on current contract (RFA)
    • Mittelstadt - 1 year left on current contract (RFA)
    • Krebs - 1 year left on current contract (RFA)
    • Olofsson - 1 year left on current contract
    • Jost - RFA
    • Girgensons - UFA
    • Okposo - UFA
    • Hinostroza - UFA
    • Kulich - 3 years left on ELC
    • Savoie - 3 years left on ELC
    • Rousek - RFA
  2. 2. Which Defender will make the team next year? (Pick up to 5) - Dahlin, Power and Samuelsson are a given.

• Jokiharju - 1 year left on contract (RFA)
    • Lyubushkin - 1 year left on contract
    • Stillman - 1 year left on contract (RFA)
    • Bryson - 1 year left on contract (RFA)
    • Clague - RFA
    • Johnson (if he signs his ELC)
  3. 3. Which Goaltenders make the Sabres next season? (Pick up to 2)

• UPL - 1 year left on contract (RFA)
    • Comrie - I year left on contract
    • Anderson - UFA
    • Levi (If he signs his ELC)

This poll is closed to new votes

1 hour ago, Dr. Who said:

Fella who I post about who is supposedly related to KA, I dunno, has been offering up a bunch of info today at that scurvy Hockeybuzz site.

Sabres like Luke Tuch. Thinks the cost to get him would be a 4th or low prospect.

Johnson changed his mind (maybe several times I infer) and is entitled with an exaggerated sense of his worth. 

Thinks they are in on P. Kane (unfortunately.) I don't see the point of it, but this may be a Terry Pegula thing.

Tom Wilson was plan A at the trade deadline. Washington looked like a seller and pulled back. With Greenway on the roster, they might not revisit.

UPL and Comrie won't be back in Buffalo. (I'm burying the headline, but typing these out serially as I found them.)

Savoie will be in Buffalo, doubts VO will. They like Okposo and Z but too early to say what happens there.

Says defense is going to be overhauled and new coaches. Happy Birthday.

Could all be fan fiction, just sharing for whatever speculative worth one cares to give it.

I’d be down with most of this except the P Kane piece.  

• Agree 1

56 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Fella who I post about who is supposedly related to KA, I dunno, has been offering up a bunch of info today at that scurvy Hockeybuzz site.

Sabres like Luke Tuch. Thinks the cost to get him would be a 4th or low prospect.

Johnson changed his mind (maybe several times I infer) and is entitled with an exaggerated sense of his worth. 

Thinks they are in on P. Kane (unfortunately.) I don't see the point of it, but this may be a Terry Pegula thing.

Tom Wilson was plan A at the trade deadline. Washington looked like a seller and pulled back. With Greenway on the roster, they might not revisit.

UPL and Comrie won't be back in Buffalo. (I'm burying the headline, but typing these out serially as I found them.)

Savoie will be in Buffalo, doubts VO will. They like Okposo and Z but too early to say what happens there.

Says defense is going to be overhauled and new coaches. Happy Birthday.

Could all be fan fiction, just sharing for whatever speculative worth one cares to give it.

Lots of juicy stuff here. 

Luke Tuch -  I guess they can wait another year and give up nothing?  

Ryan Johnson - good riddance boy

Patrick Kane - I sure hope not, we do not need him and wouldn't he be a blocker?   Is he good for the room?  

Tom Wilson - we would be a harder team to play against with Wilson, Greenway, and Tuch on wings.  Don't see this happening with Greenway on board.  

Upie and Comrie - would love to hear more about who is coming then.  I doubt they both are cut.  

Savoie in Buffalo - not a surprise

VO out of Buffalo - not a surprise, need to move him to help the defense

Overhaul defense - thank you KA 

New coaches on Defense - thank you KA

I will believe it when I see it.  

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

Do you believe that KA is going to bring another goalie in the offseason? I don't. I expect Levi to be our primary goalie with Comrie and UPL competing for the backup position. If Comrie becomes the backup, then UPL will go to Rochester. If he is claimed, which is a possibility, then so be it. The issue becomes: will another team claim him to be a backup. I'm not sure he has such an appeal for other teams at this point. We'll have to wait and see how things sort out this offseason. Where I diverge with many here is that I don't believe that our GM has foreclosed Comrie as one of our goalies for next year. Many here have a different view. I'm fine with that. 

I do not know how KA will handle the goaltending this off season.  He has the assets to bring in a 1B.   I/ don't think he should pile it all on Levi.  

Comrie has a year left and UPL is still very young but the coaches have a good read on both.  

You think UPL will be cut, clear waivers, and end up in Rochester.   Would he even want that?   Interesting.  

7 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Lots of juicy stuff here. 

Luke Tuch -  I guess they can wait another year and give up nothing?  

Ryan Johnson - good riddance boy

Patrick Kane - I sure hope not, we do not need him and wouldn't he be a blocker?   Is he good for the room?  

Tom Wilson - we would be a harder team to play against with Wilson, Greenway, and Tuch on wings.  Don't see this happening with Greenway on board.  

Upie and Comrie - would love to hear more about who is coming then.  I doubt they both are cut.  

Savoie in Buffalo - not a surprise

VO out of Buffalo - not a surprise, need to move him to help the defense

Overhaul defense - thank you KA 

New coaches on Defense - thank you KA

I will believe it when I see it.  

We're on the same page. Would not be unhappy to add Wilson. I hope they still try for it. Would be flummoxed by the addition of Kane.

Just now, Pimlach said:

I do not know how KA will handle the goaltending this off season.  He has the assets to bring in a 1B.   I/ don't think he should pile it all on Levi.  

Comrie has a year left and UPL is still very young but the coaches have a good read on both.  

You think UPL will be cut, clear waivers, and end up in Rochester.   Would he even want that?   Interesting.  

I think you have to keep UPL or trade him. No way he clears waivers. Comrie might.

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

None of us knows what he is going to do. I'm offering my opinion just like everyone else. I agree with you that KA has assets to bring in a 1B. I just don't see him doing it. If I had to make a prediction, Comrie would be the backup goalie. I also don't believe that this organization has given up on UPL. However, if he is claimed off of waivers, then so be it. 

Edited by JohnC

Just now, Dr. Who said:

We're on the same page. Would not be unhappy to add Wilson. I hope they still try for it. Would be flummoxed by the addition of Kane.

Kane cannot be a 4th liner.  He would block a young guy of PP time and for 2nd or 3rd line time.  

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Question:  How much credibility does this Hockeybuzz poster have?  I'd love to see what he posted become the trade deadline or last off-season to see if he is legit or Eklund's Buffalo clone. 

He is legit. He pops in a couple times a year to drop knowledge. Knew about Levi trade, new about drafting Rosen. Has dropped some other scoops that have come true. He is careful about when and what he posts but he hasn’t been wrong.

It may mean absolutely nothing, but I couldn’t help but notice that we got every regular on locker room cleanout day except the bottom (edit) 4 5 on defence - Stillman, Lyubushkin, Clague, Bryson and Jokiharju.

Seemed oddly specific to me; four of the five have contracts for next year.

Adams has kinda conditioned us to expect warm and fuzzy, rather than coldly accountable.

But part of a “development year” is seeing what pieces fit moving forward, and which ones didn’t measure up.

Changes to the blueline, the crease and portions of the coaching staff responsible for particular areas can certainly be justified.

It will be interesting to see what they have in store for us.

Edited by dudacek
  • Agree 3

14 minutes ago, dudacek said:

It may mean absolutely nothing, but I couldn’t help but notice that we got every regular on locker room cleanout day except the bottom 4 on defence - Lyubushkin, Clague, Bryson and Jokiharju.

Seemed oddly specific to me; three of the four have contracts for next year.

Adams has kinda conditioned us to expect warm and fuzzy, rather than coldly accountable.

But part of a “development year” is seeing what pieces fit moving forward, and which ones didn’t measure up.

Changes to the blueline, the crease and portions of the coaching staff responsible for particular areas can certainly be justified.

It will be interesting to see what they have in store for us.

It will.  And for the 1st time in what seems like forever, Canada Day might actually be fun once again as we get to open a new present or 2.  (Not expecting any monster splashes, but any and all of a GT, a 4D, and maybe a power W could all show up that day.  Maybe even a 4C that helps lock down the PK, too.)

The draft could be interesting too, but not for the ususal "who are the Sabres getting with this year's top 10 pick" and "what disgruntled vet might go out for an extra 1st" reasons.  It could be, what other team's disgruntled vet are the Sabres getting for their 1st, Olofsson, and some prospect that only about 3 people here will even remember is in the Sabres 50 bodies count.

Edited by Taro T

27 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

He is legit. He pops in a couple times a year to drop knowledge. Knew about Levi trade, new about drafting Rosen. Has dropped some other scoops that have come true. He is careful about when and what he posts but he hasn’t been wrong.

He also posted rankings of draft prospects that i believe was buffalo list . 

In the end buffalo drafted those players 

Edited by Buffalonill

26 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Very interesting....

So to sum up his post; Johnson is a prima donna, UPL and Comrie will be gone (Sorry @JohnC), there will be staff changes on DG's staff combined with a revamp of the D group (not a huge surprise given they allowed 300 goals and had the worst PK), they want Alex's little bro, Savoie to Buffalo (which we all have), and VO gone (which all assume as well).  The only thing really surprising is the interest in Kane and that's hard to prove one way or the other unless he signs here.

Actually, it reads like something I would have posted as things KA should do and it would be great if he actually does them. 

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

It may mean absolutely nothing, but I couldn’t help but notice that we got every regular on locker room cleanout day except the bottom 4 on defence - Lyubushkin, Clague, Bryson and Jokiharju.

Seemed oddly specific to me; three of the four have contracts for next year.

But we did get videos from UPL and Comrie who apparently are also on the chopping block.  No Stillman or Vinnie either on the videos.

I wouldn't to much into the D not being on video.  I would be shocked if all 4 of the D you mentioned plus Stillman were traded this off-season.  All are under contract or control and would all need to be replaced if moved through trade or UFA signings because we have no D prospects to take their place.  This seems way too aggressive, especially for KA.  Bryson and Clague being moved wouldn't be a surprise.  Jokiharju being moved in a hockey trade also wouldn't be a surprise, but I expect both Stillman and Bush here in depth roles next season.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Very interesting....

So to sum up his post; UPL and Comrie will be gone (Sorry @JohnC), there will be staff changes on DG's staff combined with a revamp of the D group (not a huge surprise given they allowed 300 goals and had the worst PK), they want Alex's little bro, Savoie to Buffalo (which we all have), and VO gone (which all assume as well).  The only thing really surprising is the interest in Kane and that's hard to prove one way or the other unless he signs here.

Having coaching changes certainly wouldn't be much of a surprise. The PK was less than mediocre. I'm not suggesting that the Sabres won't consider options in net. They should. But when all is said and done, I'm comfortable with the stance I have taken. However, if an upgrade is brought in, I would be all for it. I just don't see it happening. I want you to know that I am an empathetic person. I will with warmth, gentleness and grace be consoling you when we enter the next season with the goalie staffing that we currently have. 🍷

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.