2023-24 Sabres Early Thoughts

GASabresIUFAN

Which Current Sabres or Prospects will make the team next year? Choose up to 23  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Which forwards will make the team next season? (Pick up to 9) - Thompson, Tuch, Skinner and Cozens are a given.

• Greenway - 2 years left on current contract
    • Quinn - 2 years left on current contract (RFA)
    • Peterka - 2 years left on current contract (RFA)
    • Mittelstadt - 1 year left on current contract (RFA)
    • Krebs - 1 year left on current contract (RFA)
    • Olofsson - 1 year left on current contract
    • Jost - RFA
    • Girgensons - UFA
    • Okposo - UFA
    • Hinostroza - UFA
    • Kulich - 3 years left on ELC
    • Savoie - 3 years left on ELC
    • Rousek - RFA
  2. 2. Which Defender will make the team next year? (Pick up to 5) - Dahlin, Power and Samuelsson are a given.

• Jokiharju - 1 year left on contract (RFA)
    • Lyubushkin - 1 year left on contract
    • Stillman - 1 year left on contract (RFA)
    • Bryson - 1 year left on contract (RFA)
    • Clague - RFA
    • Johnson (if he signs his ELC)
  3. 3. Which Goaltenders make the Sabres next season? (Pick up to 2)

• UPL - 1 year left on contract (RFA)
    • Comrie - I year left on contract
    • Anderson - UFA
    • Levi (If he signs his ELC)

This poll is closed to new votes

2 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

In the history of Sabres messageboards no player has been more overvalued or brought up more than Miles Wood. 

2 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

Nope, it is Miles Wood by a margin but Borgen has been coming on strong of late.

1 hour ago, Flashsabre said:

Yeah it Brown died off after a while but Wood is like a cockroach his name just keeps popping up.

With respect to Miles Wood, is your point that you think this is a bad idea (or not)?  Just asking for a little more perspective....so for example, would you rather have Miles Wood or Victor Olofsson on the roster?

I am sure this has been posted. But Kris Baker, whose opinion I respect, is really high on Kulich and Savoie making the team. Savoie he sees as making the team, being rotated in and out of the line up; maybe sent to the World Jr. Championships. But ultimately brought back. 

He and the other analysts with the Sabres are very high on Kulich and his shot and his strength - while realizing he will get stronger. And they seem to see Kulich making the team. His shot is incredible. Add a strong defender in free agency (or two), those two, and another power forward, and I am pretty happy - as long as the young guys still get stronger. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

I still hope Kulich isn't rushed. Split Savoie (because he has to) and Rousek. 1 rookie at a time so as to limit the inconsistencies we saw with the Kid Line. Plus, Levi will be a rookie as well. We'll face sophomore slumps from Quinn, JJP, and Power (and UPL) next year, too. The league is trending younger, but look at the playoff teams: they're in their mid-20s and up, even the super-young Devils except Mercer and Jack Hughes (a superstar).

• Like (+1) 2

If KO leaves there would be a need for an experienced veteran, preferably with playoff experience. Not someone to take over as captain or to lean on for important minutes, just a solid leader who can play a bit and mentor the players, similar to Anderson’s role this past season.

If I was KA I would contact Jonathan Toews. He is done as a Blackhawk and will be a UFA in July. He will be 35 and has been dealing with Covid related issues. His Hawks were tanking and the last few years have been challenging.

However, he still got 31 points in 53 games and led the NHL in faceoff percentage at 63%. He could be brought in as a 4C with the possibility of taking time off (load management) to keep him in good shape.

There aren’t as many players who have won what he has in his career. 3 Stanley Cups, 2 Olympic Golds, World Cup, World Championship Gold, 2 World Junior Golds and a U17 World Championship Gold.

It’s not like bringing in Eric Staal as a 2C, Toews would be 4C and 13F. He could take key faceoffs, play a shutdown role and help the emerging leaders by mentoring them. He could work with the young C group with faceoffs, positioning, PK and other intangibles that lead to wins.

At this point in his career, he doesn’t need the money and he wouldn’t command a huge salary. The draw would be mentoring a team that are hungry to get to the next level.

This might not happen due to health concerns or his desire to play elsewhere. You never know unless you ask.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, French Collection said:

If KO leaves there would be a need for an experienced veteran, preferably with playoff experience. Not someone to take over as captain or to lean on for important minutes, just a solid leader who can play a bit and mentor the players, similar to Anderson’s role this past season.

If I was KA I would contact Jonathan Toews. He is done as a Blackhawk and will be a UFA in July. He will be 35 and has been dealing with Covid related issues. His Hawks were tanking and the last few years have been challenging.

However, he still got 31 points in 53 games and led the NHL in faceoff percentage at 63%. He could be brought in as a 4C with the possibility of taking time off (load management) to keep him in good shape.

There aren’t as many players who have won what he has in his career. 3 Stanley Cups, 2 Olympic Golds, World Cup, World Championship Gold, 2 World Junior Golds and a U17 World Championship Gold.

It’s not like bringing in Eric Staal as a 2C, Toews would be 4C and 13F. He could take key faceoffs, play a shutdown role and help the emerging leaders by mentoring them. He could work with the young C group with faceoffs, positioning, PK and other intangibles that lead to wins.

At this point in his career, he doesn’t need the money and he wouldn’t command a huge salary. The draw would be mentoring a team that are hungry to get to the next level.

This might not happen due to health concerns or his desire to play elsewhere. You never know unless you ask.

If Okposo retires or even just wishes to play his minimum to hit 1000 games then retire I wouldn't hate Toews for a single year. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

On 4/22/2023 at 12:52 PM, Carmel Corn said:

With respect to Miles Wood, is your point that you think this is a bad idea (or not)?  Just asking for a little more perspective....so for example, would you rather have Miles Wood or Victor Olofsson on the roster?

Beware the Concept of Wood!

He's a guy that will get way overpaid for what he is, just as the Devils overpaid him. Devils fans will tell you he is inconsistent and disappears for giant swaths of time. And because of his style he misses 10-15 games each season as well. Admittedly, he does seem to play really well against Buffalo. Is that because he's Buffalo-born and extra motivated or because the Sabres have been pushovers his entire career? That's up for debate.

For the record, with the team as currently constructed heading into next season I'd rather have Wood than VO in the bottom 6.

Re this page: The Concept of Kassian Kane Foligno Kane (the other one) Brown Borgen Wood CoHo.

1 minute ago, thewookie1 said:

If Okposo retires or even just wishes to play his minimum to hit 1000 games then retire I wouldn't hate Toews for a single year. 

For next season, I like the idea of Toews in a bottom 6 role better than Kane in any role on this squad. 

Toews, Kane, Wood.....I guess any of them may or may not bring something to the Sabres, but the reason I don't want any of them?  I'd rather have what is here now than to get any of them for what you are going to pay them.   I know there are some people here who legit think they make this team a lot better. I'm not one of them. They may or may not make this team any better, so to bring them in, in my view, is change for the sake of change.  I know as fans that is what we like to talk about, but i'm not really interested myself.

On 4/22/2023 at 5:51 PM, FrenchConnection44 said:

I am sure this has been posted. But Kris Baker, whose opinion I respect, is really high on Kulich and Savoie making the team. Savoie he sees as making the team, being rotated in and out of the line up; maybe sent to the World Jr. Championships. But ultimately brought back. 

He and the other analysts with the Sabres are very high on Kulich and his shot and his strength - while realizing he will get stronger. And they seem to see Kulich making the team. His shot is incredible. Add a strong defender in free agency (or two), those two, and another power forward, and I am pretty happy - as long as the young guys still get stronger. 

Kris Baker's discussion on the Sabre Sabre prospect pool was terrific. It highlighted the fact that Savoie and Kulich are high end prospects who next year will be legitimate NHL prospects. The takeaway from this clip is that the system is filled with a robust number of good prospects. 

At the end of the clip Baker talks about Ryan Johnson. He likes him a lot and strongly believes that Buffalo would be a good situation for him to come to. 

• Like (+1) 1

According to our poll here is the roster next season

Forwards - Overall there are 17 internal candidates for the forward jobs. Vinnie is almost certain to move on, but an argument can be made that 6 guys will certainly return and another 3 are also locked in unless some crazy deal comes along like Krebs for Shea Theodore.  The poll results are below.

Tuch, Tnt, Skinner, and Cozens were a given.  JJP, Quinn, and Krebs were the highest vote-getters, followed by Greenway, Jost, and then Mitts. That's 11 spots.

Savoie and Girgensons were next with about 60% of the votes of the top vote receivers.  Interestingly KO had the 2nd least votes. Only VO had less and he's under contract.  Vinnie had more votes.  Given Ka's comments, the odds of KO returning have definitely increased.

Defense - 

Power, Samuelsson and Dahlin are the core. I've argued that no one else should return, but that has zero chance of happening.  KA's made very positive comments on Joki in his press conference.  The analytics don't support that opinion.  

Our poll says Bush, Joki and Stillman will return.  That leaves one slot.  

Goaltenders

A tandem of UPL/Levi is the poll results.  G-d help us. KA calls this fearless, I call it...... never mind.  All I'll say is that the stats and analytics don't support KA's oipinion on UPL.

• Like (+1) 2

Im more even more confident that the Sabres will pass the lightning next season, unless Vasilevskiy finds his game.  TB is finding out what we as Sabres fans have known for a long time...you can't win without a goaltender.  I'm surprised to learn that he is only 28, figured he was much older.   Him finding his game is definitely a possibility. 

Their core is getting older, though both Stamkos and Hedman still have lots to offer

Not to sound too optimistic, I think they have a chance to pass the Leafs as well.

1 hour ago, Crusader1969 said:

Im more even more confident that the Sabres will pass the lightning next season, unless Vasilevskiy finds his game.  TB is finding out what we as Sabres fans have known for a long time...you can't win without a goaltender I'm surprised to learn that he is only 28, figured he was much older.   Him finding his game is definitely a possibility. 

Their core is getting older, though both Stamkos and Hedman still have lots to offer

Not to sound too optimistic, I think they have a chance to pass the Leafs as well.

He has 1 average year and you're writing him off ? .

Tampa has been to the Stanley cup finals 3 straight years thats a ***** ton of hockey.

To say its over is an overreaction 

Edited by Buffalonill
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Buffalonill said:

He has 1 average year and you're writing him off ? .

Tampa has been to the Stanley cup finals 3 straight years thats a ***** ton of hockey.

To say its over is an overreaction 

you did read the next sentence when I wrote "him finding his game is definitely a possibility"   

I'm still liking the Sabres chances of overtaking both Leafs and Lightning next season...

Surprised Scott Mayfield isn't getting more love as a potential add in this thread.  6'5 220 lbs right shot plays 20+ mpg defensive style.  Chips in with a fight or two and "broke out" offensively this past year with 24 points. 

He would compete with Jokiharju for the #4 out the gate and his presence would provide some insurance to soften the blow when Samuelsson gets banged up.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2

5 hours ago, Stu said:

Surprised Scott Mayfield isn't getting more love as a potential add in this thread.  6'5 220 lbs right shot plays 20+ mpg defensive style.  Chips in with a fight or two and "broke out" offensively this past year with 24 points. 

He would compete with Jokiharju for the #4 out the gate and his presence would provide some insurance to soften the blow when Samuelsson gets banged up.

How about bringing in Mayfield and trading Jokiharju?

5 hours ago, Stu said:

I like the Mayfield idea. He's the type of player this team needs imo. A bruiser and plug on the PK.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/23/2023 at 9:21 PM, JohnC said:

Kris Baker's discussion on the Sabre Sabre prospect pool was terrific. It highlighted the fact that Savoie and Kulich are high end prospects who next year will be legitimate NHL prospects. The takeaway from this clip is that the system is filled with a robust number of good prospects. 

At the end of the clip Baker talks about Ryan Johnson. He likes him a lot and strongly believes that Buffalo would be a good situation for him to come to. 

Thanks for the clip. 

I don't understand Ryan Johnson's stance. It just seems to me that from a variety of standpoints Buffalo would be a good situation for him. There is a positional need, a dearth of talent in the system and joining a team that is on the rise. 

47 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Thanks for the clip. 

I don't understand Ryan Johnson's stance. It just seems to me that from a variety of standpoints Buffalo would be a good situation for him. There is a positional need, a dearth of talent in the system and joining a team that is on the rise. 

It's frustrating that Johnson can't declare his intentions after all this time.  Some think he will sign with a west coast team.  I saw someone suggested TORONTO as another destination....which would make me dislike Toronto even more than I do today (if that's possible).

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.