2023-24 Sabres Early Thoughts

GASabresIUFAN

Which Current Sabres or Prospects will make the team next year? Choose up to 23  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Which forwards will make the team next season? (Pick up to 9) - Thompson, Tuch, Skinner and Cozens are a given.

• Greenway - 2 years left on current contract
    • Quinn - 2 years left on current contract (RFA)
    • Peterka - 2 years left on current contract (RFA)
    • Mittelstadt - 1 year left on current contract (RFA)
    • Krebs - 1 year left on current contract (RFA)
    • Olofsson - 1 year left on current contract
    • Jost - RFA
    • Girgensons - UFA
    • Okposo - UFA
    • Hinostroza - UFA
    • Kulich - 3 years left on ELC
    • Savoie - 3 years left on ELC
    • Rousek - RFA
  2. 2. Which Defender will make the team next year? (Pick up to 5) - Dahlin, Power and Samuelsson are a given.

• Jokiharju - 1 year left on contract (RFA)
    • Lyubushkin - 1 year left on contract
    • Stillman - 1 year left on contract (RFA)
    • Bryson - 1 year left on contract (RFA)
    • Clague - RFA
    • Johnson (if he signs his ELC)
  3. 3. Which Goaltenders make the Sabres next season? (Pick up to 2)

• UPL - 1 year left on contract (RFA)
    • Comrie - I year left on contract
    • Anderson - UFA
    • Levi (If he signs his ELC)

This poll is closed to new votes

8 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Assuming KA adds the correct help on defense and in goal.

PS even with that awful 2-8-2 streak in Feb/Mar the Sabres still posted 47 points in the 2nd half.  Toronto only had 54.  

I'm confident that the GM will bring in players on defense to strengthen and add dept to that unit. The pursuit of Chycrun demonstrated that an upgrade was needed on that unit. On the other hand, I don't think that he is going to bring in another goalie unless he trades UPL for another goalie. The organization got a glimmer of what Levi is capable of, and my sense is that they are going to rely on him as their primary goalie with either Comrie and UPL as the backup. 

55 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I'm confident that the GM will bring in players on defense to strengthen and add dept to that unit. The pursuit of Chycrun demonstrated that an upgrade was needed on that unit. On the other hand, I don't think that he is going to bring in another goalie unless he trades UPL for another goalie. The organization got a glimmer of what Levi is capable of, and my sense is that they are going to rely on him as their primary goalie with either Comrie and UPL as the backup. 

If KA goes to camp with the trio of Levi, UPL, and Comrie he has failed this team.  Trade UPL while he still has some value, bring in a solid vet and insure 82 games of solid goaltending as much as possible.

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

If KA goes to camp with the trio of Levi, UPL, and Comrie he has failed this team.  Trade UPL while he still has some value, bring in a solid vet and insure 82 games of solid goaltending as much as possible.

What if the GM believes that UPL has a potential to be a good NHL player? Should he trade him? It took Ullmark a number of years before he reached the NHL and developed in the NHL. Now he is doing well in Boston. A Vezina candidate. Of course, the team in front of him enhances his play. 

Should the GM go out and get another more established NHL goalie? I simply don't know. I don't believe that the GM has given up on Comrie either. (My opinion). If I had to predict what the GM is going to do it would be bulking up the blueline rather than making a change with our netminding staffing. I just don't see KA giving up significant assets for a goalie such as Saros. Is that a gamble? Yes. 

11 minutes ago, JohnC said:

What if the GM believes that UPL has a potential to be a good NHL player? Should he trade him? It took Ullmark a number of years before he reached the NHL and developed in the NHL. Now he is doing well in Boston. A Vezina candidate. Of course, the team in front of him enhances his play. 

Should the GM go out and get another more established NHL goalie? I simply don't know. I don't believe that the GM has given up on Comrie either. (My opinion). If I had to predict what the GM is going to do it would be bulking up the blueline rather than making a change with our netminding staffing. I just don't see KA giving up significant assets for a goalie such as Saros. Is that a gamble? Yes. 

Do yourself a favor and compare Ullmark’s and UPL’s AHL and first couple of NHL seasons.  UPL’s numbers stink.  He is no where near the quality of player Ullmark is.  If by some miracle he eventually becomes a good NHL player and that happens elsewhere so be it.  It’s past time to dump him and move on.  

This is not a developmental team anymore.  This is a playoff contender going forward and they need the goaltending to back it up. Levi is the present and future, but he needs a mentor and the Sabres need insurance just in case Levi isn’t as ready as he currently appears. Comrie and UPL aren’t that guy.  I’m ok with Comrie being the starter in Rochester and the emergency callup.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

7 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Do yourself a favor and compare Ullmark’s and UPL’s AHL and first couple of NHL seasons.  UPL’s numbers stink.  He is no where near the quality of player Ullmark is.  If by some miracle he eventually becomes a good NHL player and that happens elsewhere so be it.  It’s past time to dump him and move on.  

This is not a developmental team anymore.  This is a playoff contender going forward and they need the goaltending to back it up. Levi is the present and future, but he needs a mentor and the Sabres need insurance just in case Levi isn’t as ready as he currently appears. Comrie and UPL aren’t that guy.  I’m ok with Comrie being the starter in Rochester and the emergency callup.

You are making a mistake if you are going to be captivated by the comparison in AHL stats between Ullmark and UPL. UPL has had a number of surgeries (hip) which resulted in a long and exhausting rehabilitation process that setback his development. There is no question that UPL had his struggles this year. He also played well. He's still young Does that indicate true development and NHL potential? I don't know. Has the GM given up on him? I'm not sure but don't believe so. 

You seem to be convinced that Comrie and UPL are not goalie options for next year. I don't think your position aligns with the GM's thinking. Again, that's my opinion. I think he is more receptive to Comrie as the backup than you are. 

I will say that your position and my position on Levi as the present and future goalie do coincide. 

• Agree 1

58 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

This is fantastic.

I know it’s marketing, but I don’t care. Hits me right where I want to be hit.

I want to believe and for the first time in a decade, I feel like I can let myself.

If they pull the rug out from under me, so what?

It’s better than wallowing in the misery.

Grab a little bit of joy and hope when you can.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, JohnC said:

You are making a mistake if you are going to be captivated by the comparison in AHL stats between Ullmark and UPL. UPL has had a number of surgeries (hip) which resulted in a long and exhausting rehabilitation process that setback his development. There is no question that UPL had his struggles this year. He also played well. He's still young Does that indicate true development and NHL potential? I don't know. Has the GM given up on him? I'm not sure but don't believe so. 

You seem to be convinced that Comrie and UPL are not goalie options for next year. I don't think your position aligns with the GM's thinking. Again, that's my opinion. I think he is more receptive to Comrie as the backup than you are. 

I will say that your position and my position on Levi as the present and future goalie do coincide. 

Ullmark had double hip surgery in 2015.

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/video/scars-ullmarks-hip-surgery/t-277437090/c-5386449

• Like (+1) 1

The revived Skinner thread discussing Jeff’s vastly improved passing and respectable effort on defense coupled with his obvious chemistry with Mitts has me thinking.  Dangerous I know, but what if the plan next season is to spread the wealth more on offense?

I think most here would agree that the projection for next season is to put the top line back together (and then have Cozens center JJP and Quinn.  This leaves Krebs/Jost to center Mitts and probably Savoie.  On paper it gives you one proven excellent top line, an emerging 2nd line and a talented but unknown quantity as the 3rd line.

But what if we flip the script a little? 

What about something like:

JJP TNT Tuch

Savoie Cozens Quinn

Skinner Mitts Greenway

This looks more balanced to me.  You’d have a 30+ goal scorer on all 3 lines and 2 of your top 6 returning forwards on all 3 lines.  I like the idea of the talented passer Savoie feeding Cozens and Quinn.  I love the chemistry between Mitts and Skinner with the forechecking presence of Greenway.  Between Jeff and Jordan you’d have a pretty feisty line.  I also like JJP with stalwarts TnT and Tuch.  JJP was a great setup guy for Stutzle in juniors.  He has the speed to play with TnT and I think the passing skills to help that line maintain it’s high level.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

The Sabres said they acquired Stillman because they identified that he would fit better in their system then in Vancouver’s. They were right. He is a solid number 7 who can play third pairing and not hurt you while adding some size and grit. 

I want the Sabres to upgrade the D corps and keep Stillman as the 7th D.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

The revived Skinner thread discussing Jeff’s vastly improved passing and respectable effort on defense coupled with his obvious chemistry with Mitts has me thinking.  Dangerous I know, but what if the plan next season is to spread the wealth more on offense?

I think most here would agree that the projection for next season is to put the top line back together (and then have Cozens center JJP and Quinn.  This leaves Krebs/Jost to center Mitts and probably Savoie.  On paper it gives you one proven excellent top line, an emerging 2nd line and a talented but unknown quantity as the 3rd line.

But what if we flip the script a little? 

What about something like:

JJP TNT Tuch

Savoie Cozens Quinn

Skinner Mitts Greenway

This looks more balanced to me.  You’d have a 30+ goal scorer on all 3 lines and 2 of your top 6 returning forwards on all 3 lines.  I like the idea of the talented[asser Savoie feeding Cozens and Quinn.  I love the chemistry between Mitts and Skinner with the forechecking presence of Greenway.  Between Jeff and Jordan you’d have a pretty feisty line.  I also like JJP with stalwarts TnT and Tuch.  JJP was a great setup guy for Stutzle in juniors.  He has the speed to play with TnT and I think the passing skills to help that line maintain it’s high level.

Interesting worth a try... based on younguns coming this team, as others have said, maybe able to switch line combos and be very versatile depending on the matchups needs... Kulich and Rousek would like a word with you... bettin they get injury time at the very least.

This team can’t be all “draft prospects build from within”.  Now that the playoffs are a firm goal for 23-24, the changes can’t be…

Out…KO, Girgs & Anderson

In…Savoie, Kulich & Levi

All that accomplishes is making a young team even younger.  

That being said, I am turning the page on both KO and Girgs no matter what the salary.  Swap vets for vets…not vets for youth. 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

I agree with @GASabresIUFAN on UPL.
He’s never been good. He’s not it. The fact that he made it through this season without an injury is actually a first for him.  

I saw too many starts for the Amerks where UPL just didn’t have it. While injuries hampered his games played and potential development, he wasn’t playing injured. 

I have room for Comrie to be in the mix, but I would be looking for a more established veteran for the Sabres…even if it means carrying three goalies next year (Comrie is very unlikely to clear waivers). 

UPL has been passed on the depth AND development chart. It is time to move him.  

2 hours ago, French Collection said:

Ullmark was drafted in 2012. It wasn't clear until last year that he could be a good goalie in the NHL. He'll be 30 in July. Ukkoi-Pekka Luukkonen was drafted in 2017. He is 23 yrs. old. Do you think that the GM is going to give up on him at this still early stage in his development? I don't. If another team claims him because he is out of options, then so be it. But making a too quick decision on his prospects as a NHL goalie would be a mistake. I believe that the GM is not willing to make a determinative judgment just yet. If he was included in a package that brought back a high quality goalie, I would not object. Right now, I see Levi as our #1 goalie next year with Comrie as our #2 goalie. I also see UPL in the mix. 

1 hour ago, Porous Five Hole said:

I agree with @GASabresIUFAN on UPL.
He’s never been good. He’s not it. The fact that he made it through this season without an injury is actually a first for him.  

I saw too many starts for the Amerks where UPL just didn’t have it. While injuries hampered his games played and potential development, he wasn’t playing injured. 

I have room for Comrie to be in the mix, but I would be looking for a more established veteran for the Sabres…even if it means carrying three goalies next year (Comrie is very unlikely to clear waivers). 

UPL has been passed on the depth AND development chart. It is time to move him.  

It's very probable that Levi is going to be our #1 goalie. UPL was drafted in 2017 and is 23 years old. Ullmark was drafted in 2012 and is 30 years old. It wasn't until last year, when he was 29, that it was evident that he could be a mainstay NHL goalie. Why would the GM give up on a young goalie who is already in the system? If another team claims him because he is out of options, then so be it. I believe that Levi is going to be our primary goalie next year with Comrie as the secondary goalie. That doesn't necessarily mean that the GM will jettison UPL out of the system next year. 

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

It's very probable that Levi is going to be our #1 goalie. UPL was drafted in 2017 and is 23 years old. Ullmark was drafted in 2012 and is 30 years old. It wasn't until last year, when he was 29, that it was evident that he could be a mainstay NHL goalie. Why would the GM give up on a young goalie who is already in the system? If another team claims him because he is out of options, then so be it. I believe that Levi is going to be our primary goalie next year with Comrie as the secondary goalie. That doesn't necessarily mean that the GM will jettison UPL out of the system next year. 

Minor nitpick that UPL is 24. 

Losing UPL to waivers is bad asset management. This is why a trade makes the most sense. 

1 hour ago, Porous Five Hole said:

Minor nitpick that UPL is 24. 

Losing UPL to waivers is bad asset management. This is why a trade makes the most sense. 

What do you think his value is on the market? Stale donuts don't have much value unless you are a dunker. 

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

What do you think his value is on the market? Stale donuts don't have much value unless you are a dunker. 

Young goalie on a sub million dollar contract with team control is not making it through waivers. Especially when their are teams who play with much better defensive structure 

• Thanks (+1) 1

I don’t buy the popular narrative that Ullmark wasn’t all that with the Sabres.

He had 3 seasons as a regular, more wins than losses in each and save percentages of .905, .915, and .917. 

He was not great, but he was good.

• Like (+1) 1

UPL is trade bait for a younger bottom pairing defenseman who isn’t awful. Or a younger 4th liner who isn’t awful. Both needs we have. Comrie will be fine as a back up. Problem then is what happens when there’s an injury to Comrie that is inevitable?  We’re gonna draft more goalies it seems. 

1 hour ago, Weave said:

I suspect I have a higher opinion of Stillman than most.  I really like what I’ve seen of him.  Really solid under the radar pick up IMO.

Dude made like two bad defensive plays his time here. Bryson makes that many per shift.  Go get the top UFA on the market KA- he only needs to end up being a solid 4D cause the top 3D are locked in for a decade. Don’t hold back. Stillman I think beats out Jokiharju as the 6D, who is the one we need to push out to 7D.

Edited by triumph_communes

2 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Young goalie on a sub million dollar contract with team control is not making it through waivers. Especially when their are teams who play with much better defensive structure 

You sited the complicating feature associated with UPL. A decision will have to be made about him and his prospects as a NHL goalie. UPL and Comrie will be competing for the backup role. This is my opinion as of now: Comrie is going to be the primary backup. What does that mean for UPL? His tenure in the organization will be tenuous. Could the opposite happen? Yes. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.