Sabres Trade Deadline 2023 Discussion

GASabresIUFAN

Playoff contention - What position(s) should KA upgrade for the playoff push?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Playoff contention - What position(s) should KA upgrade without hurting the team long-term

• Goaltender - We need another goalie, I'm not comfortable with UPL, Comrie and Andy for the playoffs
    • 2nd pair Defense - Jokiharju needs to be upgraded
    • 3rd pair Defense - Bryson needs to be upgraded
    • Defense depth - I want someone better than Clague in the 7th D slot
    • Forward depth - We need a better 13th forward than Vinnie or Asplund
    • Scoring Depth - Upgrade one of Mitts or VO now. Don't wait until the off-season
    • 4th line - As much as I like KO and Z, we need more grit and more production from the 4th line
  2. 2. How many deals will KA complete by the trade deadline

• 0 - KA won't spend any assets to help this team
    • 1 or 2 - KA will utilize our cap space to help other deals get done, but won't acquire any help at the deadline
    • 1 or 2 - KA will acquire some D help at the deadline.
    • 3 or 4 - KA will acquire D help and will also pick up assets using our cap space to help others get deals done
    • 5 or more - KA is going to bolster the Sabres and the Amerks.

This poll is closed to new votes

8 minutes ago, shrader said:

I know the playoffs are important and all, but do you really want to watch 4 of last night's game?  Waiting for the playoffs for 85 years and then not even wanting to watch the games, it's a weird place to be.

when do you want to make the playoffs?

• Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Weave said:

Short answer, ***** yes.

I think it's a perfect example though of why they're not going to go crazy right now and load up.  They've been very open about their plan of developing this group for a while now.  Do a pair of horribly timed injuries make you panic and break that plan when the payoff is getting curb stomped by Boston or Carolina?  I do expect one or two more minor moves, but they're riding these kids to that potential curb stomping.

And I also think they're beyond that point of critical mass with forward prospects at this point.  We'll be seeing more of that moved to bulk up the blue line depth.  It's a neverending cycle.

Just now, nucci said:

when do you want to make the playoffs?

They need to find a way to break into that top 6 group.  I think they're two pieces away but unfortunately they won't be finding them until the offseason.

• Agree 1

Do I even want to be here today?

Not playing particularly well since the all-star break, best winger and best player out with injury, coming off a 7-1 loss to a hated rival, the playoffs in sight for the first time in a decade yet feeling like they are probably just out of reach, and a GM sticking to his plan.

Could get ugly.

Just now, dudacek said:

Not playing particularly well since the all-star break, best winger and best player out with injury, coming off a 7-1 loss to a hated rival, the playoffs in sight for the first time in a decade yet feeling like they are probably just out of reach, and a GM sticking to his plan.

Could get ugly.

Yep

I’m not getting my hopes up on a significant trade such as acquiring a true #1 goalie. I think the noticeable improvement(s) in the team bought KA some extra rope with ownership. Rochester needs restocking and that happens from receiving draft picks or taking other team’s garbage.

What we have is what we’ll have until season end. Draft, develop, draft, develop, trade for more picks, draft, develop. 

If I’m wrong we all win.

14 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Losing Tuch for a month, and Dahlin TFN, right at the playoff push might have been the tipping point. 

If 2 players absences derail a playoff push in March, what's the reason? It isn't due to their absence at the 3/4'qtr mark of the season, it's because the team didn't perform well enough for that first 3/4'qtrs of the season while those players were in the line up to weather the storm of that last qtr without them.

In short, they aren't talented enough through the roster, they don't have enough depth through the roster. That is on Kevyn Adam's and his staff to identify the shortcomings and correct them, and he's had more than ample time to do so. Does this mean he's failed? No, but, and I may be in the minority here, but I'm not impressed to date with his management teams ability on several fronts, starting with that aforementioned depth.

• Like (+1) 1

Yep. Acquiring a player wouldn’t have changed last night’s result. Acquiring a player wouldn’t bring back our best winger or Norris contender. Even if we traded for a #1 goalie, I don’t think we would’ve won last night either. UPL played fairly well. 

It’s probably best to add rentals when our roster isn’t so fragile. 1-2 players go down and our team turns to trash. Adding a player or 2 in this scenario really wouldn’t mean much, but would rather just shift the chairs around. 

Let’s face it folks this team isn’t making the playoffs this year with Tuch and Dahlin out for who knows when. I like GM Adams but he really should have made a move for two veteran defensemen. This team gives up way too many high scoring chances plus they are a train wreck overall as a team defensively. Then you look at their system as far as defenseman go and their isn’t anything in the system that is gonna help for next year. I get it that he has a plan but he could have traded 2024 and 2025 picks. This is part of the reason why he should have signed some UFA’s to this team because he could have moved them for picks or other pieces. 

Edited by SabresBillsFan

54 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Could get ugly.

Are you telling me watching grown men having absolute man baby meltdowns over not trading for mediocre hockey players isn’t on your bucket list today?😀

10 minutes ago, kas23 said:

Yep. Acquiring a player wouldn’t have changed last night’s result. Acquiring a player wouldn’t bring back our best winger or Norris contender. Even if we traded for a #1 goalie, I don’t think we would’ve won last night either. UPL played fairly well. 

It’s probably best to add rentals when our roster isn’t so fragile. 1-2 players go down and our team turns to trash. Adding a player or 2 in this scenario really wouldn’t mean much, but would rather just shift the chairs around. 

Your right. There was nothing they could do to stop this beatdown.  There is no depth on defense and no good enough goaltending.  Why is this?  Easy KA hasn’t dedicated the necessary resources to fix these areas of the team where the pipeline hasn’t developed enough talent. 

It’s highly unlikely that any major enhancements are coming at the deadline.  The questions now are whether or not there is enough here to even get to the playoffs and regardless of if they make the playoffs will KA be willing to make the necessary changes in those areas this off-season to field a truly competitive team next season.  Please remember the we have 8 D under contract or control and 2 goalies under contract or control.

If KA goes with the status quo team here is what we already look like for next season

Skinner TnT Tuch

Mitts Cozens Quinn

JJP Krebs VO

???? Jost (rfa) ????

Dahlin Mule

Power Jokiharju

Stillman/Clague/Bryson Lyubushkin (Clague is an RFA)

Comrie and UPL (RFA)

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Could get ugly.

I think we're well past that stage already.

6 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Are you telling me watching grown men having absolute man baby meltdowns over not trading for mediocre hockey players isn’t on your bucket list today?😀

Outstanding.

4 hours to go!

I'll be pretty surprised if KA brings in anyone better than Stillman today.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • dislike 1

1 hour ago, shrader said:

I know the playoffs are important and all, but do you really want to watch 4 of last night's game?  Waiting for the playoffs for 85 years and then not even wanting to watch the games, it's a weird place to be.

Why are you here then? 

Yes.   I  want to watch them in the playoffs THIS YEAR,  even if they get swept.  That is the best way for the team to grow, and for management to see what is needed to take the next step.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Weave said:

I can’t foresee KA bringing in another player today.  The impact on our playoff chances would be so marginal at this point, that the value added wouldn’t trip KAs trigger. 

I think there is a small chance he makes a move for a player for one or two years down the road, but my guess is that most likely happens in the offseason.

This is it, kids.  Your golf playing Buffalo Sabres.

I think a move has a chance to help a lot, as a message to the team and sign of good faith. Ottawa seems to have gotten a jump 

we can’t undersell these impact of “vibes” since it’s being touted all the time when things ARE going well 

1 hour ago, Weave said:

I swear to God if this team is a seller today, I’ll…… well I don’t know what I’ll do but someone won’t be happy.

Probably me.

True, at least we aren’t selling, that’s actually a significant positive for me 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, shrader said:

I think it's a perfect example though of why they're not going to go crazy right now and load up.  They've been very open about their plan of developing this group for a while now.  Do a pair of horribly timed injuries make you panic and break that plan when the payoff is getting curb stomped by Boston or Carolina?  I do expect one or two more minor moves, but they're riding these kids to that potential curb stomping.

And I also think they're beyond that point of critical mass with forward prospects at this point.  We'll be seeing more of that moved to bulk up the blue line depth.  It's a neverending cycle.

They need to find a way to break into that top 6 group.  I think they're two pieces away but unfortunately they won't be finding them until the offseason.

How many times does someone have to respond to a post saying “PANIC MOVE” by saying NOT a panic move just a reasonable addition? There’s no discussion that can be had if the other side simply refuses to equate the other side’s desire for a move as anything other than PANIC

Why does any trade have to be a PANIC! move 

no one wants a panic move 

• Thanks (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Why are you here then? 

Yes.   I  want to watch them in the playoffs THIS YEAR,  even if they get swept.  That is the best way for the team to grow, and for management to see what is needed to take the next step.  

I'm not sure it is the best way to grow, that's all.  Of course, that's ignoring what may happen over the next couple weeks if they do get there.  When you've waited 2-3 generations worth of players to finally see another playoff game, I have no issue waiting one more year.  I think they can make a much stronger run next year if they don't give away too many pieces right now during an inflation-heavy trade market.

But hey, I hope that passes your criteria for reasons to be here.

5 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Oh well looks like its tank season again. 

Sucks that he couldn't  Sacrifice something to get a little help just for the experience 

It is not Tank Season.   The Sabres just have to keep battling.  That is all I need to see.  Yesterday's final 6 minutes cannot happen again.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Yes. I  want to watch them in the playoffs THIS YEAR,  even if they get swept.  That is the best way for the team to grow, and for management to see what is needed to take the next step. 

Agree, 100%. Making the playoffs would be invaluable experience for this young core, IMO, and would go a long way towards advancing KA's 'plan'. There is patience and then there is 'KA patience'. This franchise has wandered in the wilderness for far too long. I'm all for building this thing the right way and...that will include more than a modicum of patience to accomplish...but at what point will he decide that it's time for the training wheels to come off? I don't need any splashy moves this deadline...nor do I think there will be any...and I will wait (what choice do I have?) to see if he does anything significant this off-season before passing judgement and moving beyond frustrated. My biggest issue with him to this point, other than not acquiring at least a consistent and serviceable goaltender the last couple of years, is the seemingly arrogant and naive notion that every draft pick he has or will acquire is going to hit and become a major contributor for this squad. We all know it doesn't work that way. This team is as close as it's been to the playoffs in a generation and KA should have done all he could to make it happen without sacrificing the future. That was more than doable with some of the abundant draft capital he has acquired but what's done is done...or is that what wasn't done? Either way, show me something this off-season, KA. The 'hope tank' is far from empty but could use some more fuel this coming summer.

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Could get ugly.

I think we’ll be ok as long as those itching for a deal admit the side not so fussed about it isn’t “anti winning” and the side that isn’t so fussed about making a deal admits the side that does isn’t looking to evaporate future assets in a sacrificial dance while going all-in to play Boston 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Oh well looks like its tank season again. 

Sucks that he couldn't  Sacrifice something to get a little help just for the experience 

I get your pain, but a tank season is purposely losing. You already know this though. The Sabres are not purposely losing, but are battling. I think it needs to be said that there is stuff to learn here too. I see people saying how beneficial it will be making the playoffs, even if we get swept. That’s true. But it’s also beneficial for this team to be playing meaningful games in March. When was the last time this happened?

I think this is a learning experience for KA as well. We have a fragile roster. You remove 2 players and we collapse. We need players on this roster to overcome this. We may have them already on our team, but they are young. KA now knows what is important, what needs to be improved, and who needs to go elsewhere. It’s easy for us to say, so I have no doubt KA knows as well. He’s not an idiot. Plus, he’s not the only guy in the room. He has plenty of people seeing the same thing and his best attribute is that he listens. He even listens to the fans - he said as such in the letter to STHs. Knowing what we are thinking and how best to proceed are different things though. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, kas23 said:

I get your pain, but a tank season is purposely losing. You already know this though. The Sabres are not purposely losing, but are battling. I think it needs to be said that there is stuff to learn here too. I see people saying how beneficial it will be making the playoffs, even if we get swept. That’s true. But it’s also beneficial for this team to be playing meaningful games in March. When was the last time this happened?

I think this is a learning experience for KA as well. We have a fragile roster. You remove 2 players and we collapse. We need players on this roster to overcome this. We may have them already on our team, but they are young. KA now knows what is important, what needs to be improved, and who needs to go elsewhere. It’s easy for us to say, so I have no doubt KA knows as well. He’s not an idiot. Plus, he’s not the only guy in the room. He has plenty of people seeing the same thing and his best attribute is that he listens. He even listens to the fans - he said as such in the letter to STHs. Knowing what we are thinking and how best to proceed are different things though. 

I think KA is sweating tbh 

I think it’s a tough call, what to do, but of course depends on each individual deal 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.