Sabres Trade Deadline 2023 Discussion

GASabresIUFAN

Playoff contention - What position(s) should KA upgrade for the playoff push?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Playoff contention - What position(s) should KA upgrade without hurting the team long-term

• Goaltender - We need another goalie, I'm not comfortable with UPL, Comrie and Andy for the playoffs
    • 2nd pair Defense - Jokiharju needs to be upgraded
    • 3rd pair Defense - Bryson needs to be upgraded
    • Defense depth - I want someone better than Clague in the 7th D slot
    • Forward depth - We need a better 13th forward than Vinnie or Asplund
    • Scoring Depth - Upgrade one of Mitts or VO now. Don't wait until the off-season
    • 4th line - As much as I like KO and Z, we need more grit and more production from the 4th line
  2. 2. How many deals will KA complete by the trade deadline

• 0 - KA won't spend any assets to help this team
    • 1 or 2 - KA will utilize our cap space to help other deals get done, but won't acquire any help at the deadline
    • 1 or 2 - KA will acquire some D help at the deadline.
    • 3 or 4 - KA will acquire D help and will also pick up assets using our cap space to help others get deals done
    • 5 or more - KA is going to bolster the Sabres and the Amerks.

This poll is closed to new votes

5 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

My guess, they are saving a spot on defense for Ryan Johnson 

They have 4 games left after the frozen four final.  I wonder if they'd actually place him in the lineup if they're still fighting for a playoff spot at that point.

22 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

My guess, they are saving a spot on defense for Ryan Johnson 

Re: the defensive additions for next season? 

Just now, Brawndo said:

So the ramblings were true. Score one for the insiderzz and score 1 for KA not being purely interested in Saints

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, shrader said:

They have 4 games left after the frozen four final.  I wonder if they'd actually place him in the lineup if they're still fighting for a playoff spot at that point.

1 minute ago, Brawndo said:

This season 

That’s an interesting dynamic then for sure 

2 hours ago, Thorny said:

I’m curious to hear your take if we don’t upgrade on D

Here is some general thoughts on KA and this deadline.  

Overall He did significantly more that I thought he’d do.

1) I love the Greenway deal.  He got him for a reasonable price and he is an ideal fit for this club.  He’s big, fast, DG and Tage know him well, he’s under K for 2 more years, and most importantly brings a physical game we’ve needed since Foligno left.  A+++ 

2) Getting a 3rd for Portillo for someone who didn’t want to be here and may not sign with LA is excellent.  Same price TM paid for Vesey’s rights. A

3) Asplund for a 7th in the future. Had no roster spot once Greenway acquired and Vinnie recalled to play ahead of him.  Glad KZ got him an opportunity elsewhere. B

4) Priskie for Strand.  If Strand is a more stay at home D, that’s good news for the Amerks.  A if Strand is a stay at home D.

5) Bjork for OP native Gicewicz saves some money for the Sabres, gets Bjork an opportunity elsewhere, brings a local kid home, but probably not much impact on the ice.  Another positive is that we swapped an NHL deal to and AHL deal saving a spot toward the 50 NHL contract limit. B

6) Stillman for Bloom.  I don’t like the D we acquired.  He adds “NHL” depth and may play in our top 6 because the other depth pieces maybe worse, which is pretty friggin sad. He adds a physical game, but doesn’t skate that well and is positionally poor. He is a worse version of Lyubushkin.  He is under contract for next year as well.  I have zero issue with sending out a forward prospect for D help, although I really like Bloom.  However, defense was our most pressing need heading into the deadline and I don’t think we are actually better on the ice for the deal.  I won’t give the deal an F because there is a chance he’ll be better than what we currently have, but if it’s an upgrade it’s a very small one. Grade  D.  This team deserved better help on D than Stillman, especially with Dahlin banged up.  IMHO he should have invested in Chychrun, but it’s clear that he wouldn’t part with our top picks.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

1) I love the Greenway deal.  He got him for a reasonable price and he is an ideal fit for this club.  He’s big, fast, DG and Tage know him well, he’s under K for 2 more years, and most importantly brings a physical game we’ve needed since Foligno left.  A+++ 

2) Getting a 3rd for Portillo for someone who didn’t want to be here and may not sign with LA is excellent.  Same price TM paid for Vesey’s rights. A

3) Asplund for a 7th in the future. Had no roster spot once Greenway acquired and Vinnie recalled to play ahead of him.  Glad KZ got him an opportunity elsewhere. B

4) Priskie for Strand.  If Strand is a more stay at home D, that’s good news for the Amerks.  

5) Bjork for OP native Gicewicz saves some money for the Sabres, gets Bjork an opportunity elsewhere, brings a local kid home, but probably not much impact on the ice.  Another positive is that we swapped an NHL deal to and AHL deal saving a spot toward the 50 NHL contract limit. B

6) Stillman for Bloom.  I don’t like the D we acquired.  He adds “NHL” depth and may play in our top 6 because the other depth pieces maybe worse, which is pretty friggin sad. He adds a physical game, but doesn’t skate that well and is positionally poor. He is a worse version of Lyubushkin.  He is under contract for next year as well.  I have zero issue with sending out a forward prospect for D help, although I really like Bloom.  However, defense was our most pressing need heading into the deadline and I don’t think we are actually better on the ice for the deal.  I won’t give the deal an F because there is a chance he’ll be better than what we currently have, but if it’s an upgrade it’s a very small one. Grade  D.  This team deserved better help on D than Stillman, especially with Dahlin banged up.  IMHO he should have invested in Chychrun, but it’s clear that he wouldn’t part with our top picks.

Well what the hell is your letter grade for priskie/strand, then? 

Can’t give them all ranks but 1

Edited by Thorny
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

We still are short a defenseman 

Agreed.  I wish he has spent a pick on someone like Gudas.

I wonder if part of the issue with Chychrun was that he saw that he was #3 of offencive defencemen here, so he would be less productive before his next contract, so he discouraged his GM from trading him here.

And I am not surprised that other GMs were trying to induce GMKA into overpaying in desperation to reach the playoffs this year.

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

4) Priskie for Strand.  If Strand is a more stay at home D, that’s good news for the Amerks.  A if Strand is a stay at home D.

His post-deadline conference seems to hunt he was willing to use picks but not Savoie/Kulich to which Arizona vehemently refused any offer we proposed 

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

Ok how about this:

They said on TSN just now, framed as trivia, that the Sabres were the only NHL team to make no deal on either of the last 2 deadline days 

Trade a signal of priority change? 

I’d like to say yes, but its more of a partial yes.  I don’t think any of these moves were made with getting into this seasons’ playoffs in mind.

If he fixes the goalie situation in the offseason, next season should be all in.

Just now, Weave said:

I’d like to say yes, but its more of a partial yes.  I don’t think any of these moves were made with getting into this seasons’ playoffs in mind.

If he fixes the goalie situation in the offseason, next season should be all in.

Agree on goalie 

I feel like there HAS to be a “help the team get in” competent for this year, no? If not why do it today, at that last hour. I know he’s here beyond but I can only imagine the talent pool is greater in the summer and if anything prices for acquiring teams is higher at the dead-line

• Agree 1

Just now, Thorny said:

Agree on goalie 

I feel like there HAS to be a “help the team get in” competent for this year, no? If not why do it today, at that last hour. I know he’s here beyond but I can only imagine the talent pool is greater in the summer and if anything prices for acquiring teams is higher at the dead-line

Availability 

What else I liked?  Added playoff experience.

8 minutes ago, Weave said:

Which is what he said was going to be his philosophy.

42 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Boy, are a lot of fans upset about GMKA not getting Chychrun.  The assumption is not that Armstrong was trying to strong-arm Adams, but that Adams killed the trade in a fit of pique.  HFBoards has several fans just dismissing the Greenway trade out-of-hand because of this.  Then again, a couple of those people were willing to move all 3 1sts from last year for Chychrun.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.