Sabres Trade Deadline 2023 Discussion

GASabresIUFAN

Playoff contention - What position(s) should KA upgrade for the playoff push?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Playoff contention - What position(s) should KA upgrade without hurting the team long-term

• Goaltender - We need another goalie, I'm not comfortable with UPL, Comrie and Andy for the playoffs
    • 2nd pair Defense - Jokiharju needs to be upgraded
    • 3rd pair Defense - Bryson needs to be upgraded
    • Defense depth - I want someone better than Clague in the 7th D slot
    • Forward depth - We need a better 13th forward than Vinnie or Asplund
    • Scoring Depth - Upgrade one of Mitts or VO now. Don't wait until the off-season
    • 4th line - As much as I like KO and Z, we need more grit and more production from the 4th line
  2. 2. How many deals will KA complete by the trade deadline

• 0 - KA won't spend any assets to help this team
    • 1 or 2 - KA will utilize our cap space to help other deals get done, but won't acquire any help at the deadline
    • 1 or 2 - KA will acquire some D help at the deadline.
    • 3 or 4 - KA will acquire D help and will also pick up assets using our cap space to help others get deals done
    • 5 or more - KA is going to bolster the Sabres and the Amerks.

This poll is closed to new votes

12 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I thought a tinkering move could help, certainly, before the injuries, and Dahlin should be back right away, no? That’s where I’m coming from, not “we need to find a way to replace Dahlin and Tuch”. If Dahlin is done we are done. If Tuch is done, we are not done. 

The other thing is, as small and temporary as the emotional bump you often see teams get from trades is, when the difference between making it or not might be a solitary point - 

ya. Make a move if you can 

I agree with you.

The Dahlin and Tuch injuries had nothing to do with the need to add depth for a playoff push.   We needed to add depth well before the Dahlin and Tuch injuries.  Low cost, not mortgage the future type of depth.   Every contending team in the league does it.  It does not have to hurt your cap or hurt your locker room.  Those sentiments are just wrong.  

I really like Kevyn Adams and I think he has done a fine job - but some of these guys here love to quote Adams and justify everything he does, or does not do, and it gets old.  And lets face it, Adam's Teams have not accomplished anything yet so all faith in him is still blind faith right now. 

We had 7 defenseman on the roster before Dahlin got hurt so we needed to add one more at least.  We really needed two defensemen to improve the group -  if you have a chance to upgrade (such as Chyckrun being available and with term) then you take a shot at it.    Adams probably did all he was willing to do  and it just didn't happen.  Another key acquisition could have been a solid two way forward - improve the D-zone play and we absolutely suck on the PK so adding a forward that could help would have been nice for a playoff acquisition.  

None of it happened.  So we forge on with what got us here. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, pi2000 said:

They're not a playoff team.  Whatever is going on in the room is irrelevant.

That said, the Kings are a playoff team and traded a core locker room guy in Quick.  Doughty and Kopitar were in tears at the press conference, but they'll get over it and move on.

So yeah, Bryson can go fly a kite 😂

Hey, I'd trade the guy in a hot minute. 

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

They're not a playoff team.  Whatever is going on in the room is irrelevant.

That said, the Kings are a playoff team and traded a core locker room guy in Quick.  Doughty and Kopitar were in tears at the press conference, but they'll get over it and move on.

So yeah, Bryson can go fly a kite 😂

The goal is to field a winning team.  If the guy isn’t helping us move in that direction it’s time to move on from that player.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Agree 1

No word of a lie Dahlin joining the team for practice today even sans Iverson was the 2nd most positive development realistically possible today coming in short of adding a goalie like dudacek theorized is within the realm of possibility 

2 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I agree with you.

The Dahlin and Tuch injuries had nothing to do with the need to add depth for a playoff push.   We needed to add depth well before the Dahlin and Tuch injuries.  Low cost, not mortgage the future type of depth.   Every contending team in the league does it.  It does not have to hurt your cap or hurt your locker room.  Those sentiments are just wrong.  

I really like Kevyn Adams and I think he has done a fine job - but some of these guys here love to quote Adams and justify everything he does, or does not do, and it gets old.  And lets face it, Adam's Teams have not accomplished anything yet so all faith in him is still blind faith right now. 

We had 7 defenseman on the roster before Dahlin got hurt so we needed to add one more at least.  We really needed two defensemen to improve the group -  if you have a chance to upgrade (such as Chyckrun being available and with term) then you take a shot at it.    Adams probably did all he was willing to do  and it just didn't happen.  Another key acquisition could have been a solid two way forward - improve the D-zone play and we absolutely suck on the PK so adding a forward that could help would have been nice for a playoff acquisition.  

You had me at “I agree with you.”

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I agree with you.

It’s one of those things where a great argument can be made for “passing on” *every* individual move we have, IF we even did (ie it didn’t meet KA’s price where a trade was actually possible), but at some point, when looking at the macro, at least one move needs to be found in totality. At some point you just need to come up with an answer - claiming that no supplementation could be found in TOTALITY considering ALL movement stretches the limits of believability to a breaking point 

33 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Considering the GMs acting like drunken sailors, why not trade Olofsson and Mitts today?  
probably can net you 23 or 24 firsts + for each

neither in the long term plans.  

Get a couple of guys that can help you for 10+ years in the 2023 draft that absolutely loaded 

Interesting. 

I've been a VO supporter, but really haven't liked his game since the lines changed and he was put with Krebs and JJP.  But you're right that he might garner a decent return.

I'd be pretty surprised if they traded Mitts though.

12 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Another key acquisition could have been a solid two way forward - improve the D-zone play and we absolutely suck on the PK so adding a forward that could help would have been nice for a playoff acquisition.  

Boone Jenner 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

The idea comes from the unreliable source, but what would you pay to add Tom Wilson to this team? Wilson is 28, has a M-NTC and has one year left at 5.167.  He’d certainly change the complexion for the team.  

LV 2nd and a Russian 

1 minute ago, Second Line Center said:

He’d never come here.  

But he’s exactly what we need.   

People say this alot but I doubt it's actually true

5 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

The idea comes from the unreliable source, but what would you pay to add Tom Wilson to this team? Wilson is 28, has a M-NTC and has one year left at 5.167.  He’d certainly change the complexion for the team.  

He’d be an intriguing option on the face of it because it’s a situation where Tom Wilson, a fiery player, would be wilfully coming here, due to the clause. That’s intriguing 

40 minutes ago, shrader said:

They need to continue to build in order for that to happen.  The thought is that it's better to build for that over the summer than it is right now.

Sure.  That is a common thought when you are not trying to get better right now at the deadline.    So now Adams will actually have to do it this next summer.  

If they go into next season with essentially the same roster, including UPL/Comrie in net, then I think they will be once again be competing for a 7/8 spot - and that assumes they are healthy for most of the season and that the players that have progressed (Dahlin, Tage, Cozens) have another very good season and a few more of the young ones step forward (Quinn, Power, tbd).  That all has to happen in addition to these "moves" that he makes this summer that improve the team.   

Florida could rebound and improve.  Detroit and Ottawa are definitely getting better and they are not moving slow.  Islanders are trying to retool on the fly.  Montreal will be better next year.  Columbus has some young talent and will get a lot of players back off of IR.   Pitts and Washington could continue to drop, or not. 

Next year is not a given.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Sure.  That is a common thought when you are not trying to get better right now at the deadline.    So now Adams will actually have to do it this next summer.  

If they go into next season with essentially the same roster, including UPL/Comrie in net, then I think they will be once again be competing for a 7/8 spot - and that assumes they are healthy for most of the season and that the players that have progressed (Dahlin, Tage, Cozens) have another very good season and a few more of the young ones step forward (Quinn, Power, tbd).  That all has to happen in addition to these "moves" that he makes this summer that improve the team.   

Florida could rebound and improve.  Detroit and Ottawa are definitely getting better and they are not moving slow.  Islanders are trying to retool on the fly.  Montreal will be better next year.  Columbus has some young talent and will get a lot of players back off of IR.   Pitts and Washington could continue to drop, or not. 

Ya, there will be work to do this summer. 

The, “if things go right, we’ll be in the mix for 7/8 into March, at least” mindset doesn’t really fly in a season where making the playoffs is truly the goal and expectation 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Considering the GMs acting like drunken sailors, why not trade Olofsson and Mitts today?  
probably can net you 23 or 24 firsts + for each

neither in the long term plans.  

Get a couple of guys that can help you for 10+ years in the 2023 draft that absolutely loaded 

What?  You might hurt the locker room (humor intended). 

Serious response:  Actually we can't trade them for picks because we don't have the depth to replace them.  Hino is in for Tuch, and Apslund is a big step down.  Plus we don't need picks, we need some of the right kind of experience to sprinkle in with the youth.  Not gonna happen in the next 2 hours.  

Edited by Pimlach

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

But will KA do it?  He has 8 D under contract or control and 2 goalies.  If he makes changes to this group, it will signal a major change in his philosophy.  I’m not sure he’s willing to go down that road.

I realized I woke up this morning.. went downstairs to work and completely forgot it was trade deadline day until I went back upstairs and saw my son watching TradeCentre.

Now I jumped on here.. saw the spectacular array of opinions... and I find myself still not caring that its trade deadline day.

I am at peace with whatever happens. Whether this means that I approve of the Sabres plan and am good to roll with it or if I've just grown numb to it.. don't know. I guess I don't care.  🙂

Enjoy all.  Just hope those who seem to be upset about everything find a way to enhance their calm.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Of course it's not.  You just need to take care of yourself and build how you think is best.  There's an unending list of what ifs, but you can't control what those other teams do.  Just go out and do what you think is best for your own team.

4 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

But will KA do it?  He has 8 D under contract or control and 2 goalies.  If he makes changes to this group, it will signal a major change in his philosophy.  I’m not sure he’s willing to go down that road.

There’s been a lot of smoke that KA has been attempting to be in the mix for a few of these deals. To me the take that that means he’s open to improvement is significantly more hopeful and positive than her other side of the coin I’ve seen being argued that KA just simply hasn’t been that interested and if he was he’d have assuredly gotten his guy

If we believe the expectation is playoffs next season, I can’t personally  come up with an argument for how we could, in good faith, enter into next season with UPL and Comrie 

16 minutes ago, Thorny said:

The, “if things go right, we’ll be in the mix for 7/8 into March, at least” mindset doesn’t really fly in a season where making the playoffs is truly the goal and expectation 

Sure.   I caveat that by saying if they bring back essentially the same roster, including UPL/Comrie.   Meaning, not much was done in the summer.  

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

There’s been a lot of smoke that KA has been attempting to be in the mix for a few of these deals. To me the take that that means he’s open to improvement is significantly more hopeful and positive than her other side of the coin I’ve seen being argued that KA just simply hasn’t been that interested and if he was he’d have assuredly gotten his guy

If we believe the expectation is playoffs next season, I can’t personally  come up with an argument for how we could, in good faith, enter into next season with UPL and Comrie 

1 minute ago, Pimlach said:

Sure.   I caveat that by saying if they bring back essentially the same roster, including UPL/Comrie.   Meaning, not much was done in the summer.  

Oh yes. UPL / Comrie would be the canary in the coal mine 

come on now 

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Thorny said:

KA would be attempting an 'Emperor's New Clothes' level buy-in with that scenario. If they stand pat over the summer, they will be struggling with ticket sales, as well, IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I would hate that I would have to love him.

What would I pay?  I’m wondering what Wash would target?  Their deadline seemed pretty schizophrenic.  Can’t tell if they are selling for a rebuild, or trying to rework the team for next season.

Mitts would be in play.  As would VO, but I don’t see where Wash would be interested in VO.  I don’t know that I’d be upset if it ended up JJP.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.