GDT: 🏒 Los Angeles Kings @ Buffalo Sabres) 13 December 2022' 7:00 PM ET* MSG! WGR?

Doohickie

Did anyone else notice that late in the game Jost was back on the fourth line and Krebs had moved up to the third?  Do you think he's "graduated"?  It will be interesting to see if they leave him on the third line going forward.  It will also be interesting to see what they do with Mitts when Skinner comes back off suspension.

4 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Did anyone else notice that late in the game Jost was back on the fourth line and Krebs had moved up to the third?  Do you think he's "graduated"?  It will be interesting to see if they leave him on the third line going forward.  It will also be interesting to see what they do with Mitts when Skinner comes back off suspension.

And Jost did good with KO and Girgs. I could see HCDG going with those lines next game. 

Just now, GASabresIUFAN said:

Should we go back to the Black jerseys?  We seem to play better when we wear them.  

I’m all for a permanent goat head third jersey. Not a fan of the reverse retro. 

2 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Jost did fine there when we first claimed him.  They moved him up to put Krebsie with the vets.  I think that worked.

I think it was also to try to fix the 3rd line which had been a black hole. I think Asplund-Krebs-Oloffson has a chance to be effective, but I doubt we’ll see Mitts on the bench once Skinner is back.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

That’s why I am so frustrated with KA.  If he added more D depth and only slightly better goaltending this team would be a playoff team right now.  

What? Wow I've never heard this take from you.

It really adds to the conversation when you post it every other time you post. 

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Doohickie said:

I thought I saw glimpses from Krebs last night that pointed towards him being our 3rd line C in the long-term. Fast, good at both-ends, abrasive, won a couple big face offs (though his final % wasn’t good). He will get stronger and the game will slow down for him. 

Edited by Archie Lee
  • Like (+1) 7

Loved this game!!! Even the first 2 periods was fun to watch. All the shots were not high chance territory and wanted to see how the boys in blue responded. Some thoughts and observations:

- Mitts did not look out of place on the 1st line, but you can tell he is not on the same talent level as TT and Tuch.

- Krebs was highly noticeable! He was doing everything. Skating fast, backchecking, hitting and you could see he was having some serious fun out there. If thats what he can become, yes sir i will have another!

- If the 3rd and 4th line can blossom as they played last night, Mitts could become expendable. Trade bait for a Minder or a defensive Dman?

- Nice to see scoring from all lines and not leaning on the first line (Even though they had 1/2 the goals!) 

- The Sabres actually figured out the heavy forecheck and was patient and wore it down. By the mid of the 3rd the Kings looked exhausted and the Sabres were flying all over the place.

All in all it was a fun game to watch! hope we get plenty more of those!!

• Like (+1) 4

• SDS unpinned this topic
8 hours ago, inkman said:

I’ve been frothing at the mouth about Quinn since he stepped onto the ice in Rochester. He was doing things I’ve never seen players do in the AHL.  Just domination.  I didn’t want to sound delusional or jinx the kid but I was sold on his first AHL shift.  The kid has it. 

I don't always agree with your takes. However, when it comes to assessing players in Rochester and how they will translate to the bigger league you are one of the main people I listen to. The short history/pattern of Quinn is that whenever he moves up the ranks he has an adjustment period. And then he solidifies his play. It's going to be fun exciting watching the line he plays on getting better and better. 

Don Granato was recently on WGR and talked about that youth line. He said that during practice this line often chooses to go against the top (Tage) line and then ferociously battles with them. This line is not only talented but it has that competitive ingredient that will make them a force. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

I have to give Don Granato credit in the way he has handled Krebs. He has sat Krebs, limited his playing time and then put him on a line with Girgs and Okposo. He made him accountable for his play. What that shift to the elderly line did is force the youthful player to simplify his game and become more of a battler than a floater as a player. It forced the player to value the puck more and lose it less with low percentage passes. When Krebs scored the goal from an Olofsson pass the credit should go to his playing with Girgs and Okposo who taught him how to play a NHL game. Good coaching resulting in internal improvement. 

• Like (+1) 4

6 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

BTW, that Kings team is tied for 2nd place in their division, and the Sabres pretty much blew them out of the building.  

BTW, I'm pretty sure the Eastern Conference has been beating the Western Conference this year (early on at least this was the case)... is there any way to look that up?

10 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

BTW, that Kings team is tied for 2nd place in their division, and the Sabres pretty much blew them out of the building.  

The Sabres would have fewer teams to pass if they were in the west. They would be 5th in the Central and 6th in the Pacific. 10th in the western conference vs 13th in the east.