GDT: ๐Ÿ’ Los Angeles Kings @ Buffalo Sabres) 13 December 2022' 7:00 PM ET* MSG! WGR?

Doohickie

9 hours ago, inkman said:

Iโ€™ve been frothing at the mouth about Quinn since he stepped onto the ice in Rochester. He was doing things Iโ€™ve never seen players do in the AHL. ย Just domination. ย I didnโ€™t want to sound delusional or jinx the kid but I was sold on his first AHL shift. ย The kid has it.ย 

His speed had a lot to do with their goal last night. Impressive.

11 hours ago, Thorny said:

Gotta capitalize at the chance to get to .500 next gameย 

The Sabres are currently 3 games under .500.*

*The so-calledย @deluca67ย .500, which, IMO, is the only measure of .500 that matters.

I had some home improvement stuff to complete last night. I didn't have the game on the ipad or anything while we worked. I glanced at the Score app throughout the first 1/2 of the game. Sheesh, I thought. Then I saw the app update the score with Thompson's first goal. Next time I looked, it was 6-0. And I was just ... wut? This team is fascinating and fun (and at times frustrating (all the F's!)).

Edited by That Aud Smell
  • Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

One minor item from last night that I found interesting:ย  Jost had the most PK time, followed by JJP, then Cozens and Quinn.ย  I don't recall seeing JJP and Quinn on the PK much this year if at all.

They have been mostly second shift though

6 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

One minor item from last night that I found interesting:ย  Jost had the most PK time, followed by JJP, then Cozens and Quinn.ย  I don't recall seeing JJP and Quinn on the PK much this year if at all.

Donnie G seems to like to weaponize his PK like using Tage and Tooch on the PKย 

• Like (+1) 1

I drove in for the game Friday night. First live one in 6 years. Always have an appreciation of how things look live vs. on television.

One of the things that absolutely jumped out at me was how quickly JJP gets up to full speed. Like in two strides. I'm curious if that's consistent with what you guysย  in ROC saw last year.

That line will become special. If DG ever beaks them up (other than for injury) I'm driving back to Buffalo with baseball bat in hand.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

38 minutes ago, JustOneParade said:

I drove in for the game Friday night. First live one in 6 years. Always have an appreciation of how things look live vs. on television.

One of the things that absolutely jumped out at me was how quickly JJP gets up to full speed. Like in two strides. I'm curious if that's consistent with what you guysย  in ROC saw last year.

That line will become special. If DG ever beaks them up (other than for injury) I'm driving back to Buffalo with baseball bat in hand.

Oh yeah JJs speed was on display nightly. ย He usually had a few breakaways/odd man rushes a gameย 

2 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Quinn and JJP are so much in Sync when attacking, its a thing of beauty.ย  ย I just love how they play with confidence and Cozens ( they better give him tage money now).

ย 

Does KA use the Tage contract as a lever, โ€œyou canโ€™t make what Tage makes, heโ€™s third in league scoringโ€.

• Haha (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Does KA use the Tage contract as a lever, โ€œyou canโ€™t make what Tage makes, heโ€™s third in league scoringโ€.

It's an interesting question.ย  If Cozens finishes this season with, say, 65 pts, and he's willing to sign a 7- or 8-year deal, it's hard to see him getting less than, say, $6.5MM per year.ย  But as you point out, I don't think they can give him more than TT's $7.14MM per year.

• Disagree 1

2 hours ago, nfreeman said:

I know that Quinn on the PK was mentioned a while ago.

28 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

It's an interesting question.ย  If Cozens finishes this season with, say, 65 pts, and he's willing to sign a 7- or 8-year deal, it's hard to see him getting less than, say, $6.5MM per year.ย  But as you point out, I don't think they can give him more than TT's $7.14MM per year.

At this point I would just match it, Good chance cozens is a point per game player.ย ย 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

Quinn and JJP are so much in Sync when attacking, its a thing of beauty.ย  ย I just love how they play with confidence and Cozens ( they better give him tage money now).

ย 

One thing the Tage contract quietly does for Buffalo is allows Adams to look at an agent and say "oh so your client should make 1-3 million more than Tage Thompson huh?"

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

One thing the Tage contract quietly does for Buffalo is allows Adams to look at an agent and say "oh so your client should make 1-3 million more than Tage Thompson huh?"

My concern would be that Dylan's agent would say that they want a bridge deal then, and at then end when he's a UFA he will go elsewhere.ย  I would hope Dylan would want to be part of what is building in Buffalo, but agents are greedy.

22 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

My concern would be that Dylan's agent would say that they want a bridge deal then, and at then end when he's a UFA he will go elsewhere.ย  I would hope Dylan would want to be part of what is building in Buffalo, but agents are greedy.

That is it though, I get a feeling these players love being with each other, lets see how the next deals pan out, especially Dahlin.

• Like (+1) 1

If Tage sets the tone:ย  Make good money but don't be excessive about it, maybe several of the other players will follow suit.ย  One thing to consider is the Sabres offered Tage and Muel long term contracts before they were proven quantities so the Sabres assumed considerable risk to do that.ย  There's something to be said for that I think.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

If Tage sets the tone:ย  Make good money but don't be excessive about it, maybe several of the other players will follow suit.ย  One thing to consider is the Sabres offered Tage and Muel long term contracts before they were proven quantities so the Sabres assumed considerable risk to do that.ย  There's something to be said for that I think.

I hope Tage sets the tone.

This is what has helped teams like the Bruins and Penguins stay near the top for so long.

Dahlin will probably get more than Tage but Cozens will get close to $7M. These negotiations will test how much they believe in each other and the organization.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

The Sabres are currently 3 games under .500.*

*The so-calledย @deluca67ย .500, which, IMO, is the only measure of .500 that matters.

I had some home improvement stuff to complete last night. I didn't have the game on the ipad or anything while we worked. I glanced at the Score app throughout the first 1/2 of the game. Sheesh, I thought. Then I saw the app update the score with Thompson's first goal. Next time I looked, it was 6-0. And I was just ... wut? This team is fascinating and fun (and at times frustrating (all the F's!)).

Agree with you in general, but considering the .500 mark is one we havenโ€™t eclipsed in 11 years, since 2012, to me itโ€™s a mark worth making note of.ย 

Tbh, Iโ€™m hoping that expectation can shift in season but not quite ready to bump the goal for this year beyond 82 points quite yet.ย 

3 hours ago, French Collection said:

It wonโ€™t fly. Skinner already makes more, for 1.

The Sabres donโ€™t get the game shark cheat code of โ€œha! Now we never need to pay anyone first line numbers!โ€ because they got a ridiculous steal in Tage. 7 whateverย is too low a realistic ceiling. Maybe if he was sitting at 9/10 like other guys weโ€™ve seen where some sort of โ€œceilingโ€ was attemptedย 

Dahlin alone is already at 10 or moreย 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Why? Why would people need to pretend Tage is being accurately paid? Itโ€™s a massive elephant in the room - I donโ€™t think the real world works like that where context can just be willfully ignored.ย 

If Thompsonโ€™s deal is going to artificially sink all his teammates new deals Iโ€™m not sure how popular heโ€™ll be in the room or the GM for that matter. It would seem almost a trick. Get one guy locked up severely under value and expect all the rest to play ball by that number?ย 

Jut canโ€™t see it honestlyย 

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

Exactly - itโ€™s on Tage for signing early. If other players wait, you canโ€™t expect them to take massive discounts on their value. Dahlin is well, well beyond the 7 mil value now. Tbh, if Cozens holds up, his market value is also beyond 7. Heโ€™ll be younger, and coming off a better season than Tage did when he signed his deal.ย 

Itโ€™s not 2006 anymore - 7 million is not a star player. Tage is closer to being underpaid by *100%* than he is to โ€œgood money but not excessiveโ€. Heโ€™s being paid like a good second line C and heโ€™s playing like a franchise C.ย 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Why? Why would people need to pretend Tage is being accurately paid? Itโ€™s a massive elephant in the room - I donโ€™t think the real world works like that where context can just be willfully ignored.ย 

If Thompsonโ€™s deal is going to artificially sink all his teammates new deals Iโ€™m not sure how popular heโ€™ll be in the room or the GM for that matter. It would seem almost a trick. Get one guy locked up severely under value and expect all the rest to play ball by that number?ย 

Jut canโ€™t see it honestlyย 

As you are suggesting salaries go up. So when his contract is up and it is time to negotiate a new deal, the player and agent are going to go for a market deal. Players are not dumb. They are well aware that it is a business. They'll get what the market indicates they should get. A discounted deal for one player doesn't necessarily carry over to another player who is looking for a market value. (As you are stating.)

3 hours ago, French Collection said:

ย 

3 hours ago, nfreeman said:

"Yea, but Skinner makes..."ย ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜œ๐Ÿคช๐Ÿ˜น

• Like (+1) 1