GDT: 🏒 Los Angeles Kings @ Buffalo Sabres) 13 December 2022' 7:00 PM ET* MSG! WGR?

Doohickie

9 minutes ago, sabresparaavida said:

Adding to that, JJP and Quinn have been producing like solid 2nd line wingers. Give it a year or two, and we could have 2 legitamite first lines. 

Don't need to wait, we already have legit first and second lines. Fourth line is relatively solid, too.

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

Sabres average margin of victory: 3.46 (frankly this is insane imo)

average margin of defeat: 2.06

So when they win, they win by a lot, and when they lose, they keep it closer 

Additionally, we only have 2 wins by a goal, and 5 losses by one goal

If I’m not mistaken, this is not a dissimilar trend to one the bills were on re close games 

Without a doubt that was because they were beating teams by 20+ points. The Bills have the largest point differential in the NFL.

• Like (+1) 2

So, what these guys need to learn is how to dictate the pace of the game. Simple.

After they can do that, then they start applying a rope-a-dope strategy. I think turning it up for the third broke the spirit of LA - they weren't expecting it and had nothing more to give.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, French Collection said:

I would keep Clague over Bryson, he just seems to have more poise.

I think Bryson has a little *too much* poise in that he thinks he has more time than he does and then is forced into a bad pass and/or a turnover.  Clague brings a bit more of a physical element too.  And finally, he and Fitzgerald seem to gel nicely.

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I thought Clague and Fitz played very well on the third pairing.  Clague isn't the most talented player but he does have good hockey sense.  Bryson was a turnover machine.

Have to think Bryson sits when / if they can get Joker or Lyubushkin back.   Pilut to Rochester, never to be seen again 

• Agree 1

Terrible hockey game for 2 periods but then the Kings pretty much fell apart after the 5 on 3 goal and the Sabres took over. 

I like Clague as a replacement much better than Pilut. I hope to never see Pilut again. 

When Skinner returns I'm moving Mitts down to the 4th line or right into the press box if I'm Granato. 

• Like (+1) 4

That first period was especially ugly.. the Kings dominated but even they were missing passes, the puck was bouncing around way too much.  It was like someone forgot to freeze the pucks.

Glad to see the 3rd period turn around.  They are still giving up chances but tonight at least cleared the net area and weren't out of position too much.  Still, Anderson played a great game and I like Clague back there before any of Bryson, Fitzgerald, or Pilut.

It would be nice if the Adams can go shore a few things up to give this team a legitimate chance.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Porous Five Hole said:

The Sabres have had two six goal periods in the span of a week! Simply astounding. 

The Sabres capitalizing / being at the forefront of increased league wide scoring is a trend that honestly does conjure memories of 2005

• Like (+1) 1

For two periods LA played a suffocating style of game that from an entertaining standpoint is soul-crushing. 

Once the Sabres broke through in the third period the dam broke and LA's style of play became ineffective when playing from behind. 

Anderson was the first star. Can you imagine if he were able to be a workhorse goalie how much better our record would be? In this game his anticipation was exceptional and he was always in control. 

The best pass of the game was Quinn to JJ for a score.

Krebs got a goal off of an Olofsson pass. Although he didn't score it when he was on the Okposo/Girgs line he has become a better player because he simplified his game because of his association with the two veteran players. He's a younger player getting better. I thought he didn't deserve the penalty he got along the boards. To his credit he hustled back to chase the player down. 

I thought Olofsson played well. Good goal and nifty pass to Krebs. How many goalposts has he hit this season?

This was a good win against a tough team to play. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just finished watching the game.  That may have been the best 3rd period played by the team in 15 years.  

The best thing about JJP, Quinn and Cozens is how fast they make decisions with the puck at full speed.  They just don’t hesitate with the puck on their sticks. JJP has the tools to become this team’s most dynamic forward within a few years.  I say that even with the dynamite unicorn already on the roster.  

If UPL had been in net we’d have been down 2 or 3 to 1 heading into the 3rd.

@JohnC  I thought the 7’s line was good all game.  Amazing what happens when players actually play in the high danger areas.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, LTS said:

That first period was especially ugly.. the Kings dominated but even they were missing passes, the puck was bouncing around way too much.  It was like someone forgot to freeze the pucks.

Glad to see the 3rd period turn around.  They are still giving up chances but tonight at least cleared the net area and weren't out of position too much.  Still, Anderson played a great game and I like Clague back there before any of Bryson, Fitzgerald, or Pilut.

It would be nice if the Adams can go shore a few things up to give this team a legitimate chance.

Excepting a goalie, the holes he needs to fill this season shouldn't be as difficult as in prior years. It's the third line and a few bottom 3 defenders. Obviously, we want players who are better than the holes they are expected to fill. Adams seems to be better than his predecessors at finding players that fit the team (the chemistry thing), so my fingers are crossed he'll run across a few dark horses.

17 minutes ago, French Collection said:

I would keep Clague over Bryson, he just seems to have more poise.

You took the words off my keyboard.  IMHO, Clague is the best of our bottom 4 D.

11 minutes ago, LTS said:

Ditto.