GDT: 🏒 Los Angeles Kings @ Buffalo Sabres) 13 December 2022' 7:00 PM ET* MSG! WGR?

Doohickie

9 hours ago, nfreeman said:

One minor item from last night that I found interesting:  Jost had the most PK time, followed by JJP, then Cozens and Quinn.  I don't recall seeing JJP and Quinn on the PK much this year if at all.

9 hours ago, inkman said:

Donnie G seems to like to weaponize his PK like using Tage and Tooch on the PK 

Alison Lukan, an analyst for Seattle calls it the Power Kill, putting Your Best Two Way Forwards out there to capitalize on short handed chances. It’s actually a sign that the coaching staff is listening to the analytics department 

8 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Quinn and JJP are so much in Sync when attacking, its a thing of beauty.   I just love how they play with confidence and Cozens ( they better give him tage money now).

8 hours ago, nfreeman said:

It's an interesting question.  If Cozens finishes this season with, say, 65 pts, and he's willing to sign a 7- or 8-year deal, it's hard to see him getting less than, say, $6.5MM per year.  But as you point out, I don't think they can give him more than TT's $7.14MM per year.

4 hours ago, Thorny said:

And it’s a key point though. He didn’t take a team discount. The Sabres won the day with a shrewd evaluation. Make no mistake, if this business was all sunshine and daisies, maybe Adams since he wants players to want to be here and values the culture so much, allows Tage to renegotiate here instead of probably playing out a deal that frankly greatly underpays the man for his services. Tage is already on track to lose out on at least *20-30 million* in “deserved” pay over the course of his deal. We are frankly stealing from him. 

So do we see Adams giving him the raise he deserves? Lol, right? And make no mistake, with the trend of playing for expected performance rather than past, it’s unlikely Tage makes up ground on deal 2. The Sabres aren’t going to do Tage a solid here, neither should we expect the players to do so.

The Sabres absolutely cannot and I’d argue will not use this excellent work from Adams as a lever to undercut the values of his other guys. Tantamount to a “gotcha” - “you all now need to take extravagantly team favourable deals.” 

The Sabres savings with Tage are benefit enough. We can appreciate the significant flexibility having an all-star locked up to a 2nd liner’s deal provides without expecting this sort of lucky value to be transmitted among the new deals for other players. 

That’s not to say we won’t see discounts: the exact process that led to Adams identifying Tage early presumably leads to future savvy evaluations. That is to say: ppl may be right that the Tage deal might mean future good value deals: but not because they’ll be “granted” to KA because he discovered some sort of contract anchor loophole. But rather, because the processes that are evidently leading to the revelation that he’s a good GM are likely to carry forward 

Disagree. Cozens right now is producing as a 1C. So he “seems to be” a 1C. Isn’t he still getting better? 

Dahlin won’t be below 10. Dude is pacing for 100 as a franchise D!

3 hours ago, Thorny said:

I think you are about right 

Cozens comp per Chad is the Jack Hughes which is 8 x 8 or 9.7 of the current cap.  He mentioned in a recent podcast that is the comp being used used by His Agent. Cozens actually has slightly better metrics then Hughes in some categories. 

In terms of comparing to Tage, Cozens is taking His Leap in the final year of His ELC. Tage suffered His Shoulder Injury the final year of His ELC, He had 12 points in 12 games in Rochester and 12 points in 65 games for the Sabres the year before.  Tage’s next deal is His Third Contract and both the Sabres and Tage took a risk on signing for 7 Year 50 Million. 

Having Your Top 2Cs signed for the next seven years at 15 Million AAV would be some great GMing. 

10 Million for Dahlin sounds about right.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 2

And of course all this contract speculation about who will agree to what gets impacted by the team's improvement trajectory. If we continue to be susceptible to 8-game skids and generally tread water for a couple more years, when contracts start to expire, don't expect too many home-town discounts to continue to be part of the never-ending rebuild. Pro sports careers are short.

30 minutes ago, Slack_in_MA said:

And of course all this contract speculation about who will agree to what gets impacted by the team's improvement trajectory. If we continue to be susceptible to 8-game skids and generally tread water for a couple more years, when contracts start to expire, don't expect too many home-town discounts to continue to be part of the never-ending rebuild. Pro sports careers are short.

Short yes, but if you can not survive with 55 mill made in 8 years I don't know what to say.

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, sabresparaavida said:

No way KA starts paying Tage more because NHL contracts can’t be re-negotiated. That contract is locked in already.

And to all indications, Tage is very happy with his long term contract.

He's on contract to earn more than he can ever really spend.  People who make more than that are just d*** waving.

Edited by Doohickie

9 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Alison Lukan, an analyst for Seattle calls it the Power Kill, putting Your Best Two Way Forwards out there to capitalize on short handed chances. It’s actually a sign that the coaching staff is listening to the analytics department 

Cozens comp per Chad is the Jack Hughes which is 8 x 8 or 9.7 of the current cap.  He mentioned in a recent podcast that is the comp being used used by His Agent. Cozens actually has slightly better metrics then Hughes in some categories. 

In terms of comparing to Tage, Cozens is taking His Leap in the final year of His ELC. Tage suffered His Shoulder Injury the final year of His ELC, He had 12 points in 12 games in Rochester and 12 points in 65 games for the Sabres the year before.  Tage’s next deal is His Third Contract and both the Sabres and Tage took a risk on signing for 7 Year 50 Million. 

Having Your Top 2Cs signed for the next seven years at 15 Million AAV would be some great GMing. 

10 Million for Dahlin sounds about right.

If they get Cozens at 8x8, that's perfect. 

6 hours ago, Doohickie said:

And to all indications, Tage is very happy with his long term contract.

He's on contract to earn more than he can ever really spend.  People who make more than that are just d*** waving.

The guy has a family and guaranteed they get about 30 million after taxes regardless, that's some solid piece of mind.  

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

If they get Cozens at 8x8, that's perfect. 

It’s going to be a weird dynamic having your number 2 center making more than your number one. In a perfect world, Cozens would agree to an identical contract but I understand why that’s unlikely. It’s similar to Colorado when they had McKinnon locked up cheaply and wouldn’t pay Duchense more. 

10 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Short yes, but if you can not survive with 55 mill made in 8 years I don't know what to say.

I’d argue most players are out there to win a Stanley Cup just as much as making bank. That old-fashioned “love of the game” thing…

• Like (+1) 1

Pay me over $7M per year for the next 7 years to play a game I love with guys I love being with every day? Sign me the F up right now. Part of this is the culture that KA is building, much like the Bills have. Guys just need to feel they'll be contending soon.

WRT Cozens, KA may have gotten himself into an inadvertent pickle here. How does he tell DC's agent he can only pay DC $1M per year less than he's asking  while being at the salary floor by having to pay a guy almost that much (>$1M) to NOT play for the team?

7 hours ago, tom webster said:

It’s going to be a weird dynamic having your number 2 center making more than your number one. In a perfect world, Cozens would agree to an identical contract but I understand why that’s unlikely. It’s similar to Colorado when they had McKinnon locked up cheaply and wouldn’t pay Duchense more. 

Are you sure Cozens is done developing???

Also:  Cozens is on a pace for 29 goals/87 points.  Yeah Tage scored 38 goals last year but he only had 68 points.  Tage was also a -17 last year while Cozens projects out to a +6.  A case could be made that Cozens actually deserves more than Tage based on last year of play before deal is negotiated.  Cozens at 21 has more upside.

And if the Kid line continues to grow and develop they could easily be the #1 line in the next year or so.

Edited by Doohickie