Which Sabres forward is scratched for the Vancouver game on Saturday?

SHAAAUGHT!!!

Which forward is scratched for Vancouver on Saturday?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. With Hinny getting 3 apples last night, he is a lock for the game Saturday vs the Canucks. So which forward sits?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/22/2022 at 07:00 PM

This isn’t going to be a popular opinion but JJP could sit.  The forwards playing the least so far are Vinnie, Z, Krebs and JJP.  All are playing 12-13 minutes a night.  I can see DG giving JJP a game off to get Quinn some PT. We even could get into a rotation of sorts if everyone remains healthy with one of Quinn, JJP, Krebs and Vinnie sitting to keep guys fresh and healthy while still getting consistent PT.  Matchups, back to backs and “maintenance days” also playing into the rotation.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

4 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

This isn’t going to be a popular opinion but the forwards playing the least so far are Krebs and JJP.  I can see DG giving JJP a game off to get Quinn some PT. We even could get into a rotation of sorts if everyone remains healthy with one of Quinn, JJP, Krebs and Vinnie sitting to keep guys fresh, healthy while still getting consistent PT.  Matchups and back to backs also playing into the rotation.

You bench JJP for politics you lose any semblance of a merit based coach. 

8 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

You bench JJP for politics you lose any semblance of a merit based coach. 

“Politics?”  What’s political about giving a rookie a day off?  TB used to sit Victor Hedman periodically his rookie year to give him a night off as he adjusted to the rigors of the NHL and to coach him up while he watched the game.  Sort of live action film study.  DG said something similar when he sat Quinn the other day. 

It’s unlikely JJP sits tomorrow. After all you don’t “F” with a streak, but JJP will almost certainly sit at some point, probably sooner then later.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Sit Quinn in Vancouver… Play him in Seattle (sit Olofsson)… and send Quinn to Rochester after the road trip… Like Krebs last season, Quinn can benefit from regular play, work on his game, grow physically, and be available for a call up if needed. 

Asong as JJP is putting up a point per game there's no way you pull him out of the lineup.

This is a great problem to have that there's nobody except maybe VO you'd want out of the sabres lineup in place of your hotshot rookie who tore up the AHL last year. In years past wed be forcing a player like him into the lineup. Since we're not using VO on PP1 (which makes zero sense to me), then I have no problem swapping him for Quinn for a game although I doubt DG will do that so soon?

Injuries happen, Quinn will get his shot and when it happens he'll be hungry.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Believer said:

Sit Quinn in Vancouver… Play him in Seattle (sit Olofsson)… and send Quinn to Rochester after the road trip… Like Krebs last season, Quinn can benefit from regular play, work on his game, grow physically, and be available for a call up if needed. 

Quinn doesn't need Rochester. He needs nhl reps

• Agree 2

13 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

This isn’t going to be a popular opinion but JJP could sit.  The forwards playing the least so far are Vinnie, Z, Krebs and JJP.  All are playing 12-13 minutes a night.  I can see DG giving JJP a game off to get Quinn some PT. We even could get into a rotation of sorts if everyone remains healthy with one of Quinn, JJP, Krebs and Vinnie sitting to keep guys fresh and healthy while still getting consistent PT.  Matchups, back to backs and “maintenance days” also playing into the rotation.

I can't see DG giving jjp time off unless his play slips.

6 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

But you can't just play a guy and treat your nhl team as a training ground. Coach wants to play his best roster available to win does he not? At the moment, that's not Quinn. Vinnie has been better - at this time

It's not Olofsson or Krebs either. Sending a guy who destroyed the AHL to the AHL to learn to play in the NHL is silly. Every coach has players on their team that need NHL reps to get better, so yes for a few it is a training ground and good coaches know that. Also Quinn in Buffalo still practices with NHL players and gets NHL coaching. Sending him down is short sighted.

• Like (+1) 1

I voted Krebs, works hard but could sit one out.
I know KO is captain but he has not been effective this season. Girgs has been noticeable on that line but Kyle seems off. Those older legs will get going soon.

I don’t want to send Quinn to Rochester, there will be injuries and bad games by some forwards and he will get in soon. He has nothing to learn in the AHL.

12 minutes ago, sweetlou said:

Quinn sits and is sent to AHL after road trip. He needs to play about 20 games to get in the groove and get his scoring touch. Bring him up after Christmas.

Sheahan becomes extra forward.   

Ehhhh idk. Quinn has no more to learn/gain from playing in the AHL. He'll also be taking minutes from the other prospects in Rochester if he's sent down. I'll agree that I don't think it's good for Quinn to sit out for too many consecutive games, but we aren't at that point yet. He can also probably learn a lot from stepping back and watching for a few games.

I think we will see a rotation of the rookies in and out of the game day lineup.  Maybe a veteran or two thrown into the press box depending who is going and who isn't.

I think Quinn will sit against Vancouver and Krebs in Seattle.  Quinn does need to play more than sit.  Sending hin to Rochester really does nothing for his development at this point.

VO is the choice, Quinn’s First Goal came from VO’s Spot on the PP.  

Marty Biron laid out a very sound argument on why He should sit using both the eye test and advanced metrics. Brian Duff mentioned He does not have any individual HD Shot Chances either does Krebs, but the latter does have a pass first mentality. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

It's not Olofsson or Krebs either. Sending a guy who destroyed the AHL to the AHL to learn to play in the NHL is silly. Every coach has players on their team that need NHL reps to get better, so yes for a few it is a training ground and good coaches know that. Also Quinn in Buffalo still practices with NHL players and gets NHL coaching. Sending him down is short sighted.

I understand all that but it's still hard to justify inserting people into the line up if they don't earn it. As a coach you don't want to appear to be favoring one player over another while preaching a work ethic and rewarding good play with ice time. Good hockey culture doesn't work well that way. 

The whole point of being affiliated with Rochester was the ease of sending players up and down and if the team is now good enough that their are extra players there is nothing wrong with sending them up and down. AHL ice time is better than no ice time. I personally would have Quinn getting all the ice time he could and practicing both places. more coaching, more play. His time will come if he earns it. 

7 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I understand all that but it's still hard to justify inserting people into the line up if they don't earn it. As a coach you don't want to appear to be favoring one player over another while preaching a work ethic and rewarding good play with ice time. Good hockey culture doesn't work well that way. 

The whole point of being affiliated with Rochester was the ease of sending players up and down and if the team is now good enough that their are extra players there is nothing wrong with sending them up and down. AHL ice time is better than no ice time. I personally would have Quinn getting all the ice time he could and practicing both places. more coaching, more play. His time will come if he earns it. 

What ice time has Krebs earned? 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.