GDT Sabres Season Opener: Sens @ Sabres 10/13/2022, 7pm, MSG, ESPN+, RDS, WGR

PromoTheRobot

Had to bail out after the 2nd.  I had no expectation that they would win this one.  They were lucky to come out of the first with a close score.  The old man was solid.  They had a better 2nd but it still felt scrambly and disorganized.  The Sabres certainty didn’t establish that they were the better team up through that point.

Was overall play in the 3rd favoring the Sabres, or was it more a case of VO capitalizing and Buffalo hanging on?

Edited by Weave
  • Thanks (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Claude Balls said:

Sabres hockey is back.

Headbang GIF

I'm in the minority here on how I feel about the team this year. I still don't see them in the playoffs, or on the bubble yet. Waiting for them to prove me wrong. 

Where did you get this GIF? It looks like Cannibal Corpse - especially with George Fisher’s windmilling and Alex Webster’s blond hair.

11 minutes ago, Weave said:

Had to bail out after the 2nd.  I had no expectation that they would win this one.  They were lucky to come out of the first with a close score.  The old man was solid.  They had a better 2nd but it still felt scrambly and disorganized.  The Sabres certainty didn’t establish that they were the better team up through that point.

Was overall play in the 3rd favoring the Sabres, or was it more a case of VO capitalizing and Buffalo hanging on?

VO had 2 ENs within 10-15 seconds near the end of the 3rd.

Just now, That Aud Smell said:

Fairly even - with Ottawa maybe the advantage in high risk scoring chances (breakaways).

That's my take on the whole game pretty even overall. Take away the empty net goals. That's how close it was. Could have been 2-1 either way.

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, Radar said:

That's my take on the whole game pretty even overall. Take away the empty net goals. That's how close it was. Could have been 2-1 either way.

But both teams were playing fast and aggressively.  That’s a rivalry we should start getting used to.  More than anything I’m just glad that the Sabres continue to play WATCHABLE hockey.  They’re not gonna win every night with the way they play and with all of the youth but they’re playing fast, they seem to have a plan on offense at all times (defense not as much, yet), and man do they have energy.  I will watch that brand of hockey any day.

• Like (+1) 3

Good

- 1st game I watched start to finish in over a year…and they won!

- I thought Cozens was the best forward on the Sabres.  He has really good wheels for a big man.  

- Gramps did okay out there. Still wouldn’t count on him for more than 20-25 games. 

Bad 

- With 2-3 min to go, I saw Bryson and Power(separate shifts) get caught up ice  with Ottawa heading the other way.  There is a time and a place for aggressive play, and that wasn’t it.  Coaches need to fix this.  Dreams of Freestyle Montour were going through my head. 

- Skinner on the PP…not sure it is a good  idea.  He is a giveaway machine at times. 

Ugly

- Virtual board advertising changing while play is going on.  Very annoying. Not as bad as screen shrinking ads from a year or two ago, but still 👎🏻 .

• Like (+1) 4

I have to say, watching the games a few thoughts came to mind:

- Same old Sabres - Heavy pressure on them and they move quickly away from their game and start to panic. 

- After same old Sabres, the team figured it out and came back hard in the 2nd and pretty much dominated that period, That was something we did not see a lot of until recently with Granato. He pays attention to what is going on and makes adjustments in between periods. That is very refreshing!

- All the D were pinching when they could. That definitely will wreck havoc as the team gels.

- Ottawa is going to be good. Damn they are fast! At times it looked like we were in slow motion compared to them.

Not going to pass any judgement on this team, but they have potential to be decent. I can see some lines being juggled after a couple of games, and that includes the PP. It was a fun game to watch and fun to watch the kids flying around the ice! 

9 hours ago, SDS said:

It probably doesn’t belong in a Gameday thread, but I care. I’d like to see him burst into flames on the ice. 

Will Ferrell Anchorman GIF by AOK

1 hour ago, FogBat said:

Where did you get this GIF? It looks like Cannibal Corpse - especially with George Fisher’s windmilling and Alex Webster’s blond hair.

Metalocolypse

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

I do not want the Sabres’ cornerstone  center’s line merely busy with the other team’s top line. And I certainly don’t want that line getting its ass kicked, which is what happened last night. That line needs to be a lot better than it was in order for this team to have a shot at 95+ points.

I don't think one can conclude that every game will go like that, even with these lines.

Every team presents unique match-ups/mismatches. Last night just happened to favor Cozens's line. Tage's line could very likely dominate many other teams' top lines. We need more time to see how these line combinations will take hold.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, erickompositör72 said:

I don't think one can conclude that every game will go like that, even with these lines.

Every team presents unique match-ups/mismatches. Last night just happened to favor Cozens's line. Tage's line could very likely dominate many other teams' top lines. We need more time to see how these line combinations will take hold.

Great post. I meant to add/edit my post by saying that it may be that that OTT top line was just a bad matchup for the Tage line. That may be. And I do trust Tage to do the work (physical, mental, technical) needed to avoid having his line rolled like that again.

(Also, it's one game in and I already want Tuch back on Tage's line.)

• Like (+1) 2

My takeaway is that it was a very good start.  Not every line or every player was clicking but the effort was there, so was the caring.   

Lots of people say Anderson stole it, and he did play great, but the better teams with top goaltending get this every almost game. 

The lines will evolve, the first line needed Tuch but I get why he was on the 2nd line. 

Dahlin looked like the guy who can take over the game.  Cozens had a really good game.  

JJP was our best rookie tonight but Power and Quinn will emerge too.   When was the last we had 3 rookies with this much promise in the line up? 

Nice to bring our B game and win.  There is some rust to knock off. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LabattBlue said:

Good

- 1st game I watched start to finish in over a year…and they won!

- I thought Cozens was the best forward on the Sabres.  He has really good wheels for a big man.  

- Gramps did okay out there. Still wouldn’t count on him for more than 20-25 games. 

Bad 

- With 2-3 min to go, I saw Bryson and Power(separate shifts) get caught up ice  with Ottawa heading the other way.  There is a time and a place for aggressive play, and that wasn’t it.  Coaches need to fix this.  Dreams of Freestyle Montour were going through my head. 

- Skinner on the PP…not sure it is a good  idea.  He is a giveaway machine at times. 

Ugly

- Virtual board advertising changing while play is going on.  Very annoying. Not as bad as screen shrinking ads from a year or two ago, but still 👎🏻 .

Just "OK" huh?  I guess stopping 4 breakaways, a 2-0 and a few 2 on 1's and was just "OK"?  He is basically the only reason the Sabres were not down 5-1 going into the 3rd and why Ottawa never tied the game late.

Team had too many giveaways in their own end trying to make "cute" exit plays...like Dahlin dropping the pass to the other team near the blue line to set up a 2 on 0 the other way on Anderson.

Edited by matter2003

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.