Sabres Sign UFA Goalie Eric Comrie 2 Years 1.8 Million AAV

Brawndo

The way i look at it is he's in our system now. If Comrie had been developed all along by us in the manner he was in Winnipeg, then with his 19 game sample size last year we'd be looking at him to take this next natural step. It just so happens that before today it was with Winnipeg & today its with us.

Since we needed a goalie desperately, however we got to this point he is our guy now. And im relieved we did something & with a player who at the very least is on an upward development track & not a declining one.

• Like (+1) 7

2 minutes ago, In The Buff said:

The way i look at it is he's in our system now. If Comrie had been developed all along by us in the manner he was in Winnipeg, then with his 19 game sample size last year we'd be looking at him to take this next natural step. It just so happens that before today it was with Winnipeg & today its with us.

Since we needed a goalie desperately, however we got to this point he is our guy now. And im relieved we did something & with a player who at the very least is on an upward development track & not a declining one.

He's a better long term answer than Anderson or Dell or Subban for that matter. I'm not upset with him in the group yet it be nice to have a bonafide guy that can put in for 60 games and not look back which we've lacked since Miller. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

He's a better long term answer than Anderson or Dell or Subban for that matter. I'm not upset with him in the group yet it be nice to have a bonafide guy that can put in for 60 games and not look back which we've lacked since Miller. 

Yep.  And hopefully 

Comrie > Anderson

Anderson > Dell/Tokarski

Subban >= Tokarski/Dell

UPL >= UPL.

None of which is a huge mountain to climb from last year.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, In The Buff said:

Agree.   After Ullmark leaving, UPL is next in line and not looking all that promising in that role.  Comrie signing should light a fire in UPL.

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, gilbert11 said:

I’ve always been very good at math but I don’t get these statistics the analytics folks come up with.  Those for baseball are even worse.

It's expected goals against multiplied by his uniform number and then divided by orange.

Edited by Eleven
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This seems like a pretty credible move for a goalie IMHO.

I don't see any of the other goalies who moved being unquestionably more attractive than Comrie when cost, age, contract, etc. are factored into the analysis.  It's not like Hasek or Roy was on the market.  I would've preferred MAF, but he stayed in Minny.  I had zero interest in a fat long-term contract for Kuemper or Campbell.  Husso, Talbot and Murray were all interesting, and I would've preferred the Murray move since it would've included the draft upgrade, but that was out of our hands and again it's not like any of those 3 represents a clear and certain upgrade over Comrie.

OTOH, KA is 100% accountable for his choice here.  Comrie needs to be good, Anderson needs to stay healthy and not fall off a cliff and UPL needs to look like he belongs (or at least 2 of those need to happen) and the Sabres need to have credible goaltending next year.  Otherwise the Sabres are going to miss the playoffs by 30 points again and I'm quickly going to lose interest in the new good vibes in the locker room.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

25 minutes ago, Eleven said:

It's expected goals against multiplied by his uniform number and then divided by orange.

Thought for this stat it was divided by that thing that rhymes with orange.  Or was that the offensive goaltending advanced stat metric.  It gets SOOOOO confusing.

Giving a good person with interesting analytics an opportunity they weren't getting elsewhere on a buy-low contract is always good business in hockey.

In a vacuum, this is an outstanding signing.

On the other hand...

In context, our ostensible starter has played 28 NHL games with a .905 SV% and a 3.05 GAA on a pretty good team.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Giving a good person with interesting analytics an opportunity they weren't getting elsewhere on a buy-low contract is always good business in hockey.

In a vacuum, this is an outstanding signing.

On the other hand...

In context, our ostensible starter has played 28 NHL games with a .905 SV% and a 3.05 GAA on a pretty good team.

Good signing in a vacuum. 

Questionable signing viewed through the context of team performance 22-23.

Satisfactory signing viewed through the context of the long-term plan.

Edited by Thorny

With what was left, I am pleased with Comrie. Like others have said he has upside and can transition to platoon with UPL/Levi/ Portillo down the road. Let the best man win the net.

His personality seems like a great fit for what KA is building. This guy is looking for an opportunity and he just got it.

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Tim Chevel-offseason-off interviewing on TSN right now. Says they offered Comrie more than they could afford to stay

Says he saw bigger opportunity in Buffalotown 

Comrie is a good vibes child.  He’s got to go where the wings are hot, the cheese is blue, and the vibes are fine.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Jokeman said:

Who was the bonafide guy that wasn't going to cost a serious asset(s) that was an actual realistic option (aka Campbell was not coming here)?

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.