Sabres Sign UFA Goalie Eric Comrie 2 Years 1.8 Million AAV

Brawndo

I’m thinking this was the best possible outcome as of 12:00 today when FA started. 
After Husso, Talbot, etc trades, and the likely Keumper, Campbell, etc signings, I think Comrie was the last realistic goalie for Buffalo that could provide real upside (21-22 stats being I think 16 games played at a .920 SV%). 
Hope it works out and he ends up being a guy that could do the 30-40-50 games…

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, dudacek said:

So Subban > Dell, Anderson </= Anderson, Comrie > Tokarski, and UPL >/= UPL ?

Same model as last year: 4 questionable maybes battling for the crease.

I guess we sorta, maybe got a little better? 😂

I think we have a slightly higher chance of actually doing ok in net. Not world beating but at very least not an Achilles heel with a giant sign pointing to it. 

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

We needed a goalie and we got one. May not be everyone's choice but they could have done much worse.

Could have also done much better, but that would involve leaving the dumpster/blue light special area of FA.....

Everyone knows KA wants to build from within only from within and doesn't want to disrupt that by signing guys to help speed up the process but maybe block some guys from coming up sooner.

It is what it is, a backup caliber goalie with some upside who will fill a roster spot until some of the guys in the system are hopefully ready to take over.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Oh like a holding pattern 

😉

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Same plan but with some minor upgrades.  The D in front of the goalies should be better with Power and the new Russian.  Comrie is an upgrade on Tokarski.  Subban vs Dell is a wash as both stink. At least Comrie has upside potential.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

6 minutes ago, Contempt said:

We came into this saying "we need an NHL goaltender" and then acquired a guy with 28 career starts. Job done I guess.

When is next year's draft lottery?

Anderson can't be counted on for more than ~25 games(maybe a lot less at his age), which means they need 50-60 starts from the other goalie on the roster.  That would be Comrie who has 28 career starts.  Better than Houser, Tokarski, UPL, Dell, Subban, etc..., but hardly screams "compete for last playoff spot" team.  

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Contempt said:

We came into this saying "we need an NHL goaltender" and then acquired a guy with 28 career starts. Job done I guess.

When is next year's draft lottery?

3 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Anderson can't be counted on for more than ~25 games(maybe a lot less at his age), which means they need 50-60 starts from the other goalie on the roster.  That would be Comrie who has 28 career starts.  Better than Houser, Tokarski, UPL, Dell, Subban, etc..., but hardly screams "compete for last playoff spot" team.  

Three more games played than Hasek had when the Sabres acquired him.  I don't care how many starts he has; I care whether Adams has made an effort to address the position.  Comrie isn't my first choice either, but at least it's someone with potential.

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 5
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

I agree entirely but am prepared to be shouted down by the masses.

30 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Would still like 1 more NHL quality keeper as not sure Anderson is still up to 35 or so games & have no faith in either of the Amerks to be useful should Comrie falter.  But we all know that ain't happeniyeah.

So, yea.

So signing Michael Houser is a MUST!  😛

• Haha (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.