Sabres Sign UFA Goalie Eric Comrie 2 Years 1.8 Million AAV

Brawndo

5 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Such an interesting take. All goalies are backups when they start. And 27 isn't exactly a career.

Oh sure, it’s easy to get super facetious when you conveniently ignore a couple key words in the post. But hey, I’m sure every single goalie in the history of the nhl started out as a backup but then became a starter after signing with a new team in free agency. Yep, super easy claim to backup with cold hard facts. 

Edited by shrader

1 hour ago, Buffalonill said:

I'm probably not going to be alive in 5 years .

Could be the reason why I'm so Moody Or my wife just annoyed me.

Do you really want to go out complaining and whining every step of the way? If so, any chance you could cut back a little? The current situation pollutes the threads a bit.

Yes, I know that I’m complaining and whining right now. My apologies. 

10 minutes ago, bg17 said:

Do you really want to go out complaining and whining every step of the way? If so, any chance you could cut back a little? The current situation pollutes the threads a bit.

Yes, I know that I’m complaining and whining right now. My apologies. 

Sorry if I don't agree with  certain stuff.

I'm happy with the signing of Eric Comrie.  I hope that he stays healthy and gives us some good games this season.  I agree that he has some upside. 

With all the talk about analytics being at play with this signing, I do wonder if our analytic guys were on vacation last year when we signed Aaron Dell.  😏

With this signing we are not blocking UPL (because he can come to camp and win a spot).  We are not giving UPL a spot (because he needs to beat out Comrie).  The combo of Anderson and Comrie will most likely require someone to come up from Rochester to play some games (and I hope that UPL is ready when he gets his chance).  We keep a spot for Levi / Portillo because Anderson will be done playing after this season.  An opening will be there in Rochester too.

My prediction is Anderson plays for 25 games, Comrie plays for 35 games, UPL plays 19 games, Subban 2 games, and we need to sign Houser to play at least 1 game (emergency call up from the ECHL).  Total is 82 games.  I think we improve but miss out on the playoffs.  Baby steps forward.

2 hours ago, Derrico said:

Lmao.  Jordan Poyer is a pro bowl safety.  This goalie is 27 and less than 30 nhl games to his name.  There is no comparison.  I’m just shocked by how optimistic this thread reads.  Hope you guys are right. 

Jordon Poyer made pro-bowls before the Bills?

2 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

Instead of tossing a swap of 3rd rounders in the Eichel trade and have some fore thought. That could have used that could use if want a RFA like Jake Oettinger. This team can afford to trade a 1st or more picks considering we just had three 1st Rounders last week and a few more young kids developing. I'm tired of waiting for unearthing another Miller.

Soo...

z9c83.jpg

Tim, is that you?

Also, wth makes you think Jake Oettinger is available? It's likely going to take more than picks and you're going to have to pry him out of Dallas. 

Lmao.  Jordan Poyer is a pro bowl safety.  This goalie is 27 and less than 30 nhl games to his name.  There is no comparison.  I’m just shocked by how optimistic this thread reads.  Hope you guys are right. 

Was Jordan Poyer a pro bowl safety when the Bills acquired him?  No.  He was a 7th round draft pick out of Oregon State that had never started more than 6 games in an NFL season.  He had 4 years in the league by that point, but had only started 10 total games.  The Comrie situation is similar in that he's been in the league for a few years (6) but only started a handful of games - 24 total with no more than 16 in an 80+ game season.  Thus the comparison.  Do I know if Comrie will achieve the success that Poyer has?  No.  Of course not.  But the type of signing is very similar.  Both guys are veterans who have been in the league for several years, but have not played much.  They were signed for a resonable price to come to Buffalo to become starters with the hopes that they would realize their potential when given the opportunity to play a lot.  It worked out well with Poyer.  It remains to be seen with Comrie.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/P/PoyeJo00.htm

https://www.nhl.com/player/eric-comrie-8477480

• Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

Hasek is the greatest goalie of all time !!

There will never be another goalie of his kind.

Hasek-STat-Line.jpg

Here's the Dominator's stat line right before the Sabres acquired him in a trade. 25 games played in the NHL. 27 years old. .893 save% 2.60 GAA.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 3

32 minutes ago, HoosierDaddy said:

Just to support your point, here's the TBD thread on Poyer right after we signed him. There was a lot of "Who?"

https://www.twobillsdrive.com/community/topic/192546-jordan-poyer/

Thanks.  Good to see that ScottLaw hasn't changed since March of 2017!  I will be sure to remind him of this...................

Seriously?

The guys been in the league 2 years and has started a handful of games.

This is guy becoming a serviceable, solid player seems like Some what of a Hail Mary by Whaley and company.

More likely he struggles and eventually becomes buried in the depth chart after getting burned a few times in season.

9 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

We have cap room, does Dallas? 

Yes. They're currently 9th in available cap space. You could look this stuff up yourself and save us all some time. Even if they didn't have cap space.. Oettinger wouldn't be going anywhere. 

Edited by Malazan

20 minutes ago, Cheektorado said:

Thanks.  Good to see that ScottLaw hasn't changed since March of 2017!  I will be sure to remind him of this...................

Seriously?

This is guy becoming a serviceable, solid player seems like Some what of a Hail Mary by Whaley and company.

More likely he struggles and eventually becomes buried in the depth chart after getting burned a few times in season.

Buffalo sports fans always bet the under.

26 minutes ago, Cheektorado said:

Seriously?

Love the Poyer comp. 

I’ve now read two Hasek and a Poyer reference.

I’ll have some of whatever you all are having.  

Drunk Vince Vaughn GIF by HBO Max

The comparison to Hasek is not so much one of ability; it's more just a similarity in terms of where each was when they joined the Sabres.  More like we got a goalie from another team just as his his development is complete.  What trajectory Comrie takes going forward is anyone's guess.

1 hour ago, Digger said:

With all the talk about analytics being at play with this signing, I do wonder if our analytic guys were on vacation last year when we signed Aaron Dell.

Didn't they add most of these guys during the past season?  I can barely remember who they signed today let alone when they added a bunch of faceless names to the management side of things.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.