Portillo and Levi

Xzy89c

I was upset about us not signing either.  I know a scout so I asked him about the two not signing. 

His reply was it was no loss:

They have Portillo ceiling as nhl backup.  Very inconsistent, bad rebounds and too many soft goals. 

Levi is interesting, BUT there is a reason no goalies that small are in NHL.  Goalies in NHL are about positioning and angles.  Geometry is not his friend.  Ceiling is AHL regular.

Before everyone gets upset, this is an actual NHL scout who looked into his teams scouting database for this.

These guys are not Cal Peterson caliber.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Xzy89c said:

I was upset about us not signing either.  I know a scout so I asked him about the two not signing. 

They have Portillo ceiling as nhl backup.  Very inconsistent, bad rebounds and too many soft goals. 

Levi is interesting, BUT there is a reason no goalies that small are in NHL.  Goalies in NHL are about positioning and angles.  Geometry is not his friend.  Ceiling is AHL regular.

Before everyone gets upset, this is an actual NHL scout who looked into his teams scouting database for this.

NO goalies that small in the NHL?  Your friend doesn't watch many Preds games does he?

Levi's ceiling is Jussi Saros, whom he's actually 1 inch taller than.

PS - didn't say he'll reach thatceiling, just that it's a lot higher than that scout says it is.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Xzy89c said:

Thxs for the post, what does this last part mean?

14 minutes ago, Xzy89c said:

Welcome back!

I hope your friend isn’t a Sabres scout.  Petersen and Portillo are very similar players and prospects.  Petersen plays at a backup level, so I’ll agree with your friend.  However he and his colleagues looked at Levi’s height and that is why he went in the 7th round, but he is wrong about Levi’s height preventing him from being a legit NHL prospect.  Levi is 6’ tall.  One of the best goalies in the NHL is 5-11 Jusse Saros.  Casey DeSmith and Nedjelkovic are two other fine goalies that are 6’ or under.  There are a bunch, like Quick, a 6’1”.  

With the speed of the game increasing we may actually be going back the other way again with smaller more athletic goalies.  The GOAT named Hasek was only 6’1”

This doesn’t mean Levi will make it or become a star, but to dismiss him out of hand because of his height is an error in judgement.  Ask Nashville if Saros’ height is an issue.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 9

1 minute ago, Xzy89c said:

Did Levi go to scouting combine?  I watched some of his he's when they were on.  He does not seems 6 feet.  If he went to combine we know official number.  Remember the NFL guys that shrank every year once measured?

Wasn't a combine in 2020

1 hour ago, Xzy89c said:

Did Levi go to scouting combine?  I watched some of his he's when they were on.  He does not seems 6 feet.  If he went to combine we know official number.  Remember the NFL guys that shrank every year once measured?

He is listed on both Northeastern's  and Hockey Canada's website at 6'0"  183 CM 

https://www.hockeycanada.ca/en-ca/team-canada/men/olympics/2022/stats/team-rosters?teamid=355

14 minutes ago, dudacek said:

With all due respect to your scout friend, I’m not sure why this means much. It’s just another opinion.

NHL teams whiff on goalie projections all the time.

Scouts suck! The failure rate in the NHL draft is close to 85%. If they would change the draft age to 20 they would bomb so much and its even worse when scouting goalies

7 hours ago, Xzy89c said:

Who does he work for? Coyotes or Flyers? 

• Haha (+1) 4

Levi doesn’t understand angles and positioning? Geometry is not his friend? He’s one of the most proficient technical goalie prospects in a long while so I have to question what this “scout” is assessing, because he seems to be missing exactly what makes Devon Levi such a promising prospect. 

Just now, K-9 said:

Levi doesn’t understand angles and positioning? Geometry is not his friend? He’s one of the most proficient technical goalie prospects in a long while so I have to question what this “scout” is assessing, because he seems to be missing exactly what makes Devon Levi such a promising prospect. 

People underestimate Levi and that helps motivate him.

Keep it up.

• Thanks (+1) 1

6 hours ago, K-9 said:

His height. 

5 minutes ago, MBD said:

His height. 

And that makes him less able to understand angles and positioning? Makes “geometry” unkind to him? If anything, his shorter stature makes him even more reliant on the aforementioned aspects of technique. Which is why Levi is considered so sound in that department. 

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

And that makes him less able to understand angles and positioning? Makes “geometry” unkind to him? If anything, his shorter stature makes him even more reliant on the aforementioned aspects of technique. Which is why Levi is considered so sound in that department. 

I think they meant that based on being smaller, geometry says he'd have more open holes for a shooter to target. 

They don't factor in the speed and technical nature of the position. It's a constant calculation and recalculation of being in the right position at all times to minimize the chance of a goal, and then having the physicality to execute it all.  All things equal, the bigger goalie will be better, but things are never equal.

Juuse Soros says it can be done at his size, and Levi's all-time level performance in NCAA suggests he can too.

• Like (+1) 1

Scouts said the Dominator lacked size, fundamentals and was too unorthodox.

No, I'm not saying Levi is going to be Hasek. I'm saying scouts are wrong about goaltenders all the time. Hardest position to project to the NHL.

I've never been high on Portillo, but I'm an even worse prognosticator the the scouts.

Edited by HumanSlinky39

I think Kevyn will through $10 million per year for two years at Fleury, draft a goalie this year, and a lot of the chatter will settle down.  If UPL isn't all that, this could still be a great landing spot for Portillo, and Levi can shore him up after that.  (And if UPL *is* all that, who cares about the other two?)

I'm looking at the rest of the team and really the only position of desperate need is goalie.  Kevyn will take care of that.  He might provide some improvement in the D or fwd ranks but if he doesn't I think the Sabres will be alright next year as long as he brings in a real goalie.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.