GDT: 4/23/22 NY Islanders at Buffalo, 12:30pm MSG, ESPN+, WGR

jsb

33 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Looked like the Islanders took the Sabres lightly to me too.

That's a team that we've found impossible to penetrate in recent years, and one that's flirted with a top 10 record in the back half of the season. Seemed easy tonight.

Yes, we are better, but unless the Islanders have fallen crazy hard, they've got a better game than that.

Looks like a team that wants a new coach 

2 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Ummm, ehh never mind

1 hour ago, jsb said:

I'm not sure if anyone listened/watched the Islander broadcast but Anson Carter said between the 2nd and 3rd period that the Islanders weren't skating and took the lowly Sabres lightly and that it was hard to get up for a team that doesn't hit and plays like a college team especially with the last 4 games of the season the NYI have against real playoff teams like Carolina, Washington and Tampa Bay. I was like holy doo doo dude, don't hold back or anything. His reputation just went down the toilet with me on that remark. 15-8-3 in the last 26 games and they weren't prepared for this team??

I am generally unimpressed with Anson but as I have said before, I agree with him on this — the Sabres aren’t getting the opponents’ A games most nights.

It’s worth noting that Carter played 10 years in the NHL and probably has a good sense about how the players feel about games like this one.  

6 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I am generally unimpressed with Anson but as I have said before, I agree with him on this — the Sabres aren’t getting the opponents’ A games most nights.

It’s worth noting that Carter played 10 years in the NHL and probably has a good sense about how the players feel about games like this one.  

They're sad because they're out of the playoffs and they got spanked by the Sabres. 

I get what ur saying and I generally agree with the sentiment but the Sabres aren't sneaking up on teams, they're watching the tape and they can see the improvement in the team.

Not to mention the record. 

He sounded like a guy who thought he knew what he was saying but really had no clue. 

Edited by Norcal

5 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

We literally just played an entire month and a half versus almost nothing but teams that had EVERYTHING to play for. If you are fighting to make the playoffs or home ice you aren't going to mail it in versus anyone.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't pee in my cheerios. Dude, the deluca500 king, is telling me after watching this team for the past 11 years, you're not a bit excited about a 15-8-3 record of late?? C'mon guy, just smile a little bit, you can do it.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, sabremike said:

We literally just played an entire month and a half versus almost nothing but teams that had EVERYTHING to play for. If you are fighting to make the playoffs or home ice you aren't going to mail it in versus anyone.

The Isles aren’t one of the teams fighting to make the playoffs.  It is not outside the realm of possibility (or likelihood for that matter) that they weren’t focused on beating Buffalo.

32 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Can you tell the difference between a team that's uninspired and a team being stuffed in their own end?

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Can you tell the difference between a team that's uninspired and a team being stuffed in their own end?

Why yes, we haven't sucked for the past 10 1/2 years we've just been uninspired. Couldn't you tell?? We weren't tanking in 2013 thru 15, we were just waiting for someone to inspire us.

Edited by jsb
Just making sure you know I wasn't picking on you Promo
  • Haha (+1) 1

Whatever Carter said about the Islanders not getting up for the game or taking the Sabres lightly is a hollow comment to me. Putting forth effort no matter who you play is part of being a good team. Chemistry and effort outmatch talent much of the time. Therefore the Sabres are a better “team” than the Islanders. That’s why they won with the backup in net to boot. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

I watched Anson. it wasn't all that bad, though he wasn't really correct. He wasn't going to put the Islanders down, so is instead of speaking the truth (Islander are tired and really mailed in the game/rest of the season), he softened it by saying that the Islanders took the Sabres likely.  The play by play announcers were good, saying the ice was slanted in Buffalo's direction and multiple times praised Thompson and the way Skinner was getting under the skin of the islanders

Some of the crap I read in these parts. 

Hey Anson Carter, what was the Islanders’ excuse when we spanked their sorry butts 6-3 back in February? 

Simple fact is, your slow, clumsy D corps was exposed by the superior team speed of the Sabres. Saying a professional hockey team wasn’t prepared to play an inferior opponent is the biggest loser’s lament in pro sports. 

Edited by K-9
  • Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Some of the crap I read in these parts. 

Hey Anson Carter, what was the Islanders’ excuse when we spanked their sorry butts 6-3 back in February? 

Simple fact is, your slow, clumsy D corps was exposed by the superior team speed of the Sabres. Saying a professional hockey team wasn’t prepared to play an inferior opponent is the biggest loser’s lament in pro sports. 

I don’t even know why they play hockey this time of year. According to a variety of people, nobody cares about winning in April.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I’m not even sure why “the Islanders took them lightly” is considered a shot at the Sabres.

I see it as a shot at the Islanders. The weren’t prepared, therefore they got spanked.

You’re right, it’s a shot at the Islanders.

It’s also a shot at the Sabres because it shows a total lack of respect. “Oh, the Isles would have whipped the Sabres if they had taken them seriously and played their best game because the Isles really are the better team.” Seems Anson Carter hasn’t been paying attention since March and has totally forgotten the similar whipping the Sabres put on them in February as well. In both games, the Isles slow D was exposed by our team speed. Would have been more honest for Carter to have admitted that instead. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, K-9 said:

You’re right, it’s a shot at the Islanders.

It’s also a shot at the Sabres because it shows a total lack of respect. “Oh, the Isles would have whipped the Sabres if they had taken them seriously and played their best game because the Isles really are the better team.” Seems Anson Carter hasn’t been paying attention since March and has totally forgotten the similar whipping the Sabres put on them in February as well. In both games, the Isles slow D was exposed by our team speed. Would have been more honest for Carter to have admitted that instead. 

I missed him saying that.

3 hours ago, nfreeman said:

I’m sure he understands how the Islanders feel.  But as a TV personality he would be better served to also point out the play of the Sabres has improved a lot, even against strong competition.  His comments about the Sabres playing a non-hitting college hockey style seemed odd given all the circumstances.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.