GDT: 4/23/22 NY Islanders at Buffalo, 12:30pm MSG, ESPN+, WGR

jsb

6 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I’m sure he understands how the Islanders feel.  But as a TV personality he would be better served to also point out the play of the Sabres has improved a lot, even against strong competition.  His comments about the Sabres playing a non-hitting college hockey style seemed odd given all the circumstances.  

I don’t think he understands how the Islanders feel at all unless of course he knows the Islanders are OK with having their announcers make cheap excuses for their play when they get their butts kicked. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Norcal said:

Is there a fancy chart for how many times the Sabres snuffed the Isles out in their defensive slot?

I'm guessing 2-3 times a period the boys just ate that play up before it produced a shot. 

But but but our defense isn't good enough....

General comment from not only today's game, but the Sabres of late:

I was watching the Stars-Kraken game.  The Stars tried several stretch passes and cross-ice passes.  The missed most, if not all, of them.  Not that they were defended, but that the Stars passers kept missing their targets.  The Sabres were like that earlier in the season.  Now the Sabres hit those long passes routinely.  It's a huge, huge improvement in the play of the team and gives them a big advantage when they can flip the ice with stretch passes.

And it's not just the skill lines that do it:  All lines and defense pairings are hitting long passes for the Sabres right now.  They are playing like a unit and I think if the Sabres played the Stars now, the Sabres would win handily.

• Like (+1) 3

“Look, we take pride in playing good, hard hockey,” Anders Lee said. “So that’s what we’re gonna do the rest of the way. I wouldn’t expect anything less than that.”

That was after they got shellacked by the Rangers the other night. Doesn’t sound like they wanted to take us for granted if you ask me. Here’s the rest of the article:

https://nypost.com/2022/04/21/barry-trotz-blasts-islanders-some-guys-cheated-the-game/?utm_source=NYPostSportsFacebook&utm_medium=SocialFlow&utm_campaign=SocialFlow&fbclid=IwAR1m0CbxSKcuXTpPxJExHojClqOxKPyUNwS42GJK-gnILsvgQWY3Ah2Wfxw

5 hours ago, jsb said:

I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't pee in my cheerios. Dude, the deluca500 king, is telling me after watching this team for the past 11 years, you're not a bit excited about a 15-8-3 record of late?? C'mon guy, just smile a little bit, you can do it.

I'm quite excited and as I said in another thread if they bring in a real goalie this summer I am going to be making all kinds of silly predictions.  But I think both things can be true -- the Sabres can be greatly improved AND their opponents can be less focused and/or intense than they are against, say, the top 10 teams in the NHL standings.  Not to mention the fact that no one in the EC has needed to play with any desperation to make the playoffs for pretty much the entire time the Sabres have been playing well.

Next fall, if the Sabres are, say, 15-8 at Thanksgiving and in 2nd place in their division, they'll get everyone's A game.  I think at that point they'll be able to handle it, but I also think it will be a very different environment from what they're facing now.

YMMV, of course.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/12/2022 at 8:04 AM, nfreeman said:

I don’t think that ever happened.  The lion doesn’t concern himself with the actions of the ants.

And a craw is stuck in, not chafed.

Well. Skinner sure got stuck in the lion's craw yesterday. 😂

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Eleven said:

This team is so much fun to watch again.

Hey @SwampD, a sound engineering question for you:  Can MSG do anything to tone down the whistling sound when Jeanneret pronounces the letter S?  And if so, why aren't they?

I'm going to have to wait until tomorrow at 12:30 when the away feed blackout ends.

33 minutes ago, Sabel79 said:

Kinda bummed I've had to miss the past couple games with work / daughter's softball tournaments.  

I'm dangerously close to having expectations for this team next year... dunno that I can handle that after a decade or more.

I don't know what to do with myself till Thursday.

6 hours ago, steveoath said:

Dunno if this was posted earlier.

Thanks for posting that.  For those of us watching on ESPN+, they didn't come back from commercial break on time and we missed all of the fallout.  When the game came back on the ensuing penalty was already down to 1:11.

Edited by Doohickie
  • Like (+1) 1

On 4/23/2022 at 3:15 PM, Eleven said:

This team is so much fun to watch again.

Hey @SwampD, a sound engineering question for you:  Can MSG do anything to tone down the whistling sound when Jeanneret pronounces the letter S?  And if so, why aren't they?

Finally got a chance to watch. Not much you could have done with that. Maybe eq it a little to lessen it. A wind screen wouldn't have stopped that whistle.

He was talking oddly all game. I don't think I've ever heard him have that kinda whistle. My guess is he was sober cuz his boys were in the booth with him. 😂 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.