No announcement on Ryan Johnson??

Cage

On 4/17/2022 at 4:36 AM, Cage said:

That would be good, but he could still ATO this year to help Amerks for playoffs, couldn't he?

No.  Just like Power can't play in the AHL playoffs.  Players had to be on the roster on a certain date to qualify for postseason play.

(That's why they administratively moved... Fitz, Muel and Krebs.... I think?.... to the Rochester roster a couple weeks ago, then moved them back to the Sabres roster; they can now play for the Amerks in the playoffs.)

Edited by Doohickie
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Doohickie said:

No.  Just like Power can't play in the AHL playoffs.  Players had to be on the roster on a certain date to qualify for postseason play.

(That's why they administratively moved... Fitz, Muel and Krebs.... I think?.... to the Rochester roster a couple weeks ago, then moved them back to the Sabres roster; they can now play for the Amerks in the playoffs.)

I wonder if the same applies to Bloom. 

24 minutes ago, kas23 said:

Even it is, I still think it was a decent trade and would do it again. 

It is one of the worst trades in Sabres history.  Are you kidding?

On edit, let us revisit the return:

--Tage Thompson, who has had one heck of a season that we all wish he repeats, and who was almost universally bemoaned before October 2021.

--Vladimir Sobotka, who was a zero.

--Patrilk Berglund, who could play Robert Downey Jr.'s part in "Less than Zero."

--A last-first-round pick, Ryan Johnson, who may not ever play for the Sabs.

--A way-in-the-future pick (at time of trade) that happened to be swapped, with another Sabres pick, for Colin Miller.

For a Conn Smythe winner and captain of a contender thereafter.

In what world would you do it again?

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

37 minutes ago, Eleven said:

--Tage Thompson, who has had one heck of a season that we all wish he repeats, and who was almost universally bemoaned before October 2021.

--Patrilk Berglund, who could play Robert Downey Jr.'s part in "Less than Zero."

--A way-in-the-future pick (at time of trade) that happened to be swapped, with another Sabres pick, for Colin Miller.

In reality, it was Tage for ROR. I really don’t care if some worthless spare parts came back. They weren’t paid out of my wallet. Next, I can’t help what Johnson will do, but I haven’t really figured him into our plans and I don’t think the team should either. It’s also not the trade’s fault Johnson was picked either. A different player could’ve been picked instead. 

Now, ROR winning the Conn Smythe…are you suggesting that he would’ve won the Conn Smythe on the Sabres if we didn’t trade him? No, he was a malcontent here and really wasn’t going to contribute to winning in Buffalo. As I see it now, Tage is 24 and ROR is 31, and they are currently on very different career trajectories. 

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Eleven said:

If the Blues offered Ryan O’Reilly today for Tage and the rights to Johnson, you would accept?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, dudacek said:

If the Blues offered Ryan O’Reilly today for Tage and the rights to Johnson, you would accept?

Said another way, where would today’s team be without Tage on the roster? I know the possibilities are infinite, but I would guess a tire fire. 

51 minutes ago, dudacek said:

This isn't the right question, with everyone at their present ages and Johnson's apparent unwillingness to sign with Buffalo (he may feel differently about elsewhere, which he can explore soon).  

The Sabres finally have centers now, have replaced ROR's leadership with Tuch's, and the situations are completely different than they were four years ago.  And the Blues got their Cup.

Would the Sabres have been a playoff team with ROR as captain?  That's the better question.  And I think yes.

35 minutes ago, kas23 said:

Said another way, where would today’s team be without Tage on the roster? I know the possibilities are infinite, but I would guess a tire fire. 

Who knows what O'Reilly could have done as captain of the Sabres.  Maybe Mittlestadt would have learned how to play a little earlier.  Maybe not.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

To your bolded text  In what world would you do it again?

I guess that if you had perfect foresight to see how Tage would develop years after the trade (this season).

Of course if you had perfect foresight then you would have seen that St. Louis would win the cup with O'Reilly and that he would win the Conn Smyth and most likely insisted on getting a better return that would help the team immediately that year.

Perfect Foresight would ensure that we did not take back Berglund who did not want to be a Sabre to the point where he voided his contract which was quite the negative headline at the time towards the Sabres.

Perfect foresight would have allowed our GM to realize that while Mittelstadt was a top prospect he wasn't going to be able to handle the 2nd line center duty..............and that Sobotka and Berglund wouldn't either and that we would not have a viable option for 2nd line center until ?? (last season, this season).

Perfect foresight to see that Eichel would eventually want off the team too and perhaps seeing O'Reilly get traded and win the cup elsewhere looked pretty appealing.  Speculation and no I don't miss Eichel.  At least that trade has had a positive impact the year of the trade with the added bonus of future upside and picks to be made.

Edited by Digger

2 hours ago, Eleven said:

Every world. 

The bitterness toward the ROR trade is much more fuelled by the relative fortunes of the franchise in its immediate wake than an actual weighing of the trade.

It was always a futures deal and the futures are just starting to play out.

It’s like people here still think we ripped off Nashville in the Paul Gaustad trade.

You know, the one where we flipped a good bottom six forward, along with the pick they used to take Jusse Saros, along with a 2nd rounder Calgary used to take Patrick Sieloff in order to grab Zemgus Girgensons.

You know, a good bottom six forward?

Genius!

If Thompson reels off another 4 or 5 years of 25 goal seasons for a good Sabres team, the Sabres made out fine in the trade, no matter Colin Miller or Ryan Johnson, or ROR’s Conn Smythe. There was no universe where he was winning a Conn Smythe here on Jason Botterill’s team.

If Tage goes back to being an 8 goal man who’s out of hockey in a few years, they didn’t.

Edited by dudacek
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Eleven said:

It was trading the current (that didn't want to be here anyway and wasn't going to be a Conn Smyther winner here) for a future that no one expected would be as good as he is this year plus a bunch of junk that was, as you pointed out, basically nothing.  ROR wasn't going to turn the Sabres around, it was just too fupped duck at that point.  But Tage is a big piece of the turnaround now.

I won't say Buffalo won the trade, but at this point in time I'm glad Tage is here.

8 hours ago, dudacek said:

The bitterness toward the ROR trade is much more fuelled by the relative fortunes of the franchise in its immediate wake than an actual weighing of the trade.

It was always a futures deal and the futures are just starting to play out.

It’s like people here still think we ripped off Nashville in the Paul Gaustad trade.

You know, the one where we flipped a good bottom six forward, along with the pick they used to take Jusse Saros, along with a 2nd rounder Calgary used to take Patrick Sieloff in order to grab Zemgus Girgensons.

You know, a good bottom six forward?

Genius!

If Thompson reels off another 4 or 5 years of 25 goal seasons for a good Sabres team, the Sabres made out fine in the trade, no matter Colin Miller or Ryan Johnson, or ROR’s Conn Smythe. There was no universe where he was winning a Conn Smythe here on Jason Botterill’s team.

If Tage goes back to being an 8 goal man who’s out of hockey in a few years, they didn’t.

You're assuming GMs know what players will be good 5 years in the future. It's a crapshoot.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.