Dahlin - 1st Sabres D-Man since Leopold (2011-2012) with 10 goals in a season

WildCard

• WildCard changed the title to Dahlin - 1st Sabres D-Man since Leopold (2011-2012) with 10 goals in a season

Career hi in goals with 10 (9 his rookie year) and tied his career hi in assist (36).  Hopefully he’ll bust through 50 points this season.  Last Sabres D to get to 50 was……..  Not Myers.  He topped out at 48 his rookie year. No not Soupy either.  He also topped out at 48 with the Sabres.  Also not getting there were Risto (45), Wooley (43), Zhitnik (45), Leopold (35) or Teppo (36). No the winner is Gary Galley in 1995-96 with 54 (10g 44a).  Leopold’s 13g in 2010-11 is the recent high there.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Zamboni said:

Next season I’d be fine with 15G / 25A as a floor, as long as he’s solid in his own end. He’s looking very good most games. I hope he develops more over the summer. I don’t think we’ve seen Dahlin’s ceiling yet. 

I think that 10 goals and 40 assists is a more reasonable floor.  That will be close to where he finishes this season.

• Like (+1) 4

8 hours ago, Zamboni said:

Next season I’d be fine with 15G / 25A as a floor, as long as he’s solid in his own end. He’s looking very good most games. I hope he develops more over the summer. I don’t think we’ve seen Dahlin’s ceiling yet. 

6 hours ago, Curt said:

I think that 10 goals and 40 assists is a more reasonable floor.  That will be close to where he finishes this season.

I agree with Curt. Dahlin has 1 season below 35 assists and that was the kruger season from hell last year. 

12g and 40a seems like a solid floor if he plays around 78+ games

8 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Career hi in goals with 10 (9 his rookie year) and tied his career hi in assist (36).  Hopefully he’ll bust through 50 points this season.  Last Sabres D to get to 50 was……..  Not Myers.  He topped out at 48 his rookie year. No not Soupy either.  He also topped out at 48 with the Sabres.  Also not getting there were Risto (45), Wooley (43), Zhitnik (45), Leopold (35) or Teppo (36). No the winner is Gary Galley in 1995-96 with 54 (10g 44a).  Leopold’s 13g in 2010-11 is the recent high there.

Spacek also came close with 45 points in 2008-9. Everyone forgets how good he was!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Crusader1969 said:

Mark me down for 15G and 50A next year.  

he will become the true star we’ve been waiting for 

Listening to Rasmus pre-game was enlightening. He was genuinely excited to play the right side stating it opens things up for him offensively.  Hey, if he thrives on the right this teams top 5 may be locked in.  (Dahlin, Power, Samuelsson, Jokijarju, Johnson (eventually).  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalonill said:

Let's see if he can break myers goal record 

What goal record?  His best was 11 in his rookie year.  Leopold had 13 the next season.  

Ultimately one of Power or Dahlin will break 13 goal barrier.

I wonder which rookie defender, Samuelsson, Power or Fitz, will be the first to get his first NHL goal.

FYI:  Housley is the only Sabres D to ever score 20 or more. His Sabres career hi came in 1983-84 when he potted 31 goals as a 19 year old.  He scored 20 or more 5 times.

https://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/team-season-records/buffalo-sabres-defensemen-nhl-season-records.html

If Dahlin gets to 50 points it will be the 17th best D scoring season by a Sabres D.  8 of the 16 were had by Housley. This list also points out how effective Van Boxmeer and Bodger were in their primes.

As the team composition changes for the better with more talent and skill, I hope to see him be the next Sabre D to hit 20.  He'll have more goal scorers to feed (for assists) and more playmakers to find him when he comes in from the blue line to score goals.  If he can have a steady D-partner (ex. maybe Mule?), he may become more aggressive in the offensive zone. 

Edited by Carmel Corn

2 hours ago, inkman said:

Listening to Rasmus pre-game was enlightening. He was genuinely excited to play the right side stating it opens things up for him offensively.  Hey, if he thrives on the right this teams top 5 may be locked in.  (Dahlin, Power, Samuelsson, Jokijarju, Johnson (eventually).  

I still think he brings in a burly vet to pair with Power.  
that could drop Joker to bottom pair with the Byrson 

8 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

I still think he brings in a burly vet to pair with Power.  
that could drop Joker to bottom pair with the Byrson 

Not sure if Bryson is around much longer but I like the idea of a peacekeeper back there. For all we know, Owen may become that.  Lots of college kids come in and start punching people. See John Hayden. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Can't talk about Leopold without posting this goal.  As I recall, this goal was meaningful in that it kept the Sabres in the playoff race a little longer before they eventually dropped out.  Perhaps the last time the Sabres were relevant with respect to the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Dahlin’s career is really just starting and more goals and assist are coming.  I see big things for him.  

Our D in general:  Our Top 4 from last night are 19, 22, 22 and 22.  And they were pretty damned good against one of the most potent NHL offenses.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.