Offseason Gameplan 2022 - Solving the goaltending system wide.

GASabresIUFAN

Who will be the goaltenders next season  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be UPL's partner next season

• Anderson
    • DeSmith
    • Dreidger
    • Hellybuyck
    • Comrie
    • MAF
    • Hotlby
    • Husso
    • A Russian RFA like Samsonov or Georgiev
    • Other
  2. 2. Who will be the 2 goalies in Rochester (Pick 2)

• Houser
    • Tokarski
    • UPL
    • Subban
    • Dell
    • Other

29 minutes ago, SHAAAUGHT!!! said:

This is exactly what I want to hear from the GM.  He is also proving himself to be an expert negotiator.  Stating he plans on using all 2022 first round picks to draft players just increased the value of those picks in a trade.  Bravo good sir.  Bravo. 

Welcome back!

5 hours ago, SHAAAUGHT!!! said:

lol, I'm always around but work is wacky so I'm not able to participate here as much as I'd like.  I try to check in at least once a day though to make sure I'm not missing too much!

Then add something. 👍🏻

Going with UPL and Anderson or an equivalent level goalie(below average vet) will be a huge mistake on Adam’s part. 

I know many will disagree, but if that is Adam’s plan for 22-23, my confidence meter in him will be close to zero, and he should be fired.  3 seasons of garbage goaltending is UNACCEPTABLE. 

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, LabattBlue said:

Going with UPL and Anderson or an equivalent level goalie(below average vet) will be a huge mistake on Adam’s part. 

I know many will disagree, but if that is Adam’s plan for 22-23, my confidence meter in him will be close to zero, and he should be fired.  3 seasons of garbage goaltending is UNACCEPTABLE. 

Hello half angry Blue.  Nice to meet you.  Let us know before you get to full on angry Blue.  Thanks.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

I agree that plan isn't acceptable.  He is also likely to re-sign Subban for the Amerks.

I think the NHL really needs to look at teams carrying 3 goalies full time with the 3rd goalie getting a $1 million that doesn’t count against the cap. So many injuries to goalies these days.  A guy like Anderson would be the perfect 3rd goalie option. There are guys in their 30s who don’t want to play in the AHL but would be good insurance as a 3rd option on an NHL roster.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/27/2022 at 11:02 PM, GASabresIUFAN said:

I wonder what it would take to get Chris Driedger from Seattle? He has 2 years left at 3.5 and is only 27.  

Would you give them VO for him? cause I think that's what it would take.

I wouldn't. 

On 5/3/2022 at 8:58 AM, LGR4GM said:

I'd offer just a lot of money for Husso in free agency. 

idk. Husso had a good year but maybe it's the St. Louis team D that is responsible for a lot of that. Chance of a Carter Hutton redux here. 

57 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Would you give them VO for him? cause I think that's what it would take.

I wouldn't. 

idk. Husso had a good year but maybe it's the St. Louis team D that is responsible for a lot of that. Chance of a Carter Hutton redux here. 

AS to Dreidger I think you are over estimating his value.  Seattle is committed to Grubauer.  

I also worry about Carter Hutton 2, except Husso is so much younger then Hutton was and it possible his career year isn't just an aberration.  

I am also interested in Comrie, who finally is beginning to show the potential that made him a 2nd rd pick back in 2013.  

Husso >>> Comrie >>>>>>>>>>> Dreidger

in my opinion, Dreidger is really bad. He had one great year with Florida and nothing special otherwise. His game against WPG in game 82 was embarrassingly bad in the goals he gave up including two 5hole goals, a plain one timer and a point shot that floated through him.

14 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Husso >>> Comrie >>>>>>>>>>> Dreidger

in my opinion, Dreidger is really bad. He had one great year with Florida and nothing special otherwise. His game against WPG in game 82 was embarrassingly bad in the goals he gave up including two 5hole goals, a plain one timer and a point shot that floated through him.

So he's UPL?

I'm going to have to disagree on Dreidger in general.  He had two good years in Florida with save % of .938 and .927.  Unlike UPL he was also good in the minors.  His last two AHL seasons had save % of .924 and .932.   

It's more likely that his bad season was caused by playing behind a terrible defense.  His numbers (2.96 & .899)  are slightly better than tGrubauer (3.16 & .889). Grubauer before this season played 101 games with Washington with a 2.29 .923 and then 113 with Colorado with a 2.38 and a .918.  Did Grubauer suddenly become a bad goalie also?  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

4 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

So he's UPL?

I'm going to have to disagree on Dreidger in general.  He had two good years in Florida with save % of .938 and .927.  Unlike UPL he was also good in the minors.  His last two AHL seasons had save % of .924 and .932.   

It's more likely that his bad season was caused by playing behind a terrible defense.  His numbers (2.96 & .899)  are slightly better than tGrubauer (3.16 & .889). Grubauer before this season played 101 games with Washington with a 2.29 .923 and then 113 with Colorado with a 2.38 and a .918.  Did Grubauer suddenly become a bad goalie also?  

He too may have just been good behind a high end team. In my opinion your play behind a bad team is what shows your mental fortitude and ability to steal a game. “Does your goalie have the ability to hold the line when the the team is floundering?”

My other major fear with him is the fact that goalies are very hard to get a read on. Some goalies can have good years in a vacuum but be awful in general. Andres Lindback for instance played out of his mind here after lacking a win in Dallas that year.

Also just to clarify, Dreidger had a .938 in 12 games and a .927 over 23 starts. He too had struggles in both the AHL and ECHL. I’m just bearish on goalies who play above average of great teams but bad on bad teams. Effectively he shows to be a career backup level goalie. (His 3 playoff starts also left much to be desired)

All that being said, goalies are weird and he could blossom into the next Tim Thomas for all we know.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

AS to Dreidger I think you are over estimating his value.  Seattle is committed to Grubauer.  

I also worry about Carter Hutton 2, except Husso is so much younger then Hutton was and it possible his career year isn't just an aberration.  

I am also interested in Comrie, who finally is beginning to show the potential that made him a 2nd rd pick back in 2013.  

I'm not over estimating Dreidger's value, but I think Seattle would not give him away easily. They will want a scoring forward in exchange. So I'm just thinking if contract talks are far apart that might be the guy. As I said, I wouldn't make that deal myself. 

Husso is younger, agreed, but the body of work is small. I believe Liger wrote give him a ton of money, and that's the idea I question. Big money and/or term on Husso is not a sure thing and could backfire. Comrie's a gamble too imo. Might be worth taking, but I think I lean more to a relatively sure thing like DeSmith. 3 years to share the load with UPL until either UPL takes it or Levi/Portillo makes him obsolete. Somebody like that. 

Within this link is a 25 minute WGR interview with GM KA. There is nothing startling new in this interview.  He talks about some players such as Quinn, the goaltending situation, Tage, his analytics department, the player development approach in building a roster etc. Just a general observation when listening to the GM and Granato: There is a clarity and direction within the franchise that the organization is following. Without many new revelations it is still a good review of the season and direction this franchise is moving in. 

https://www.audacy.com/wgr550/authors/howard-and-jeremy-show

On 5/7/2022 at 1:10 PM, LabattBlue said:

And Subban!!! He will be back 

Does FLA move on from Bob if they get bounced early or if they sit him and ride Spencer Knight?

I also think Carter Hart is very available for not very much. Philadelphia is where goaltending goes to die so you'd have to have some faith that you could rehab his game and confidence.

11 minutes ago, Contempt said:

Does FLA move on from Bob if they get bounced early or if they sit him and ride Spencer Knight?

I also think Carter Hart is very available for not very much. Philadelphia is where goaltending goes to die so you'd have to have some faith that you could rehab his game and confidence.

Have you looked at Bob’s contract on capfriendly? Hard no. 

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Thanks (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Have you looked at Bob’s contract on capfriendly? Hard no. 

When people talk about weaponizing cap space this is what they mean.  If Florida is making this move they are paying us to take the contract.  4x10 isn't ideal, no. But his actual cash number drops the last two years of the deal and the NTC changes as well making him more attractive to a cap floor team those last two years if you want to move him again.  In theory, you'd also have Levi in net by then on his ELC which is dirt cheap so you'd have 2 goalies for an AAV of what? 11 million?  Maybe it's still not the right move for us which is fine, I just see a move to be made there by someone and if you don't demand salary retention you're likely to get more than Bob back. The bigger trick would be getting Bob to agree to come to Buffalo with his full NMC.

I'm not excited about Husso or Comrie as I think you'll have to overpay in both years and dollars based on their actual resumes.  I think the RFAs are pipe dreams unless it's a trade because nobody sheets anyone and what are you really willing to give up for Georgiev?  I don't see the logic in paying a soon to be 38 year old MAF a bunch of money on a multi-year deal. Keumper is going to want money and term both and is already 32 with a long injury history.  Halak isn't coming here. Martin Jones isn't an upgrade. What are you willing to pay Brayden Holtby? He's a backup at this point. A good backup, but still a backup.  DeSmith? Francouz??

IMO, the Sabres need a player who can step in and play competent #1 GK for at least 2 seasons if not 3. Levi is in college this year and will probably get at least 1 year in Rochester before he comes to Buffalo. The 3rd year gives you some buffer if Levi is slower to develop than we'd want.  MAF isn't going to give you 3.  I'm not sure he's going to even give you 2.

If it were me I'd be calling the Flyers on Hart.  Philly has a long and illustrious history of giving up on goalies too soon and Hart struggled a lot this year.  They were absolutely putrid this year and I don't honestly think it would cost that much to get Hart out of there.  I might be wrong, but I think the bloom is off that rose.  Offer the rights to Ryan Johnson or Erik Portillo and a 2nd and see what happens.

Something interesting that Lance Lysowski and Joe Yerdon discussed on the Maintenance Day Podcast, when a player doesn’t factor into the Sabres Future they are not mentioned by Adams. 

UPL and Levi where the only two goalies mentioned this AM. 

Seattle and Chicago were mentioned as possible trade partners for Portillo as they do not have Goaltending Prospects 

2 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Something interesting that Lance Lysowski and Joe Yerdon discussed on the Maintenance Day Podcast, when a player doesn’t factor into the Sabres Future they are not mentioned by Adams. 

UPL and Levi where the only two goalies mentioned this AM. 

Seattle and Chicago were mentioned as possible trade partners for Portillo as they do not have Goaltending Prospects 

All the more reason we need a goalie for at least 3 yrs

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.