Offseason Gameplan 2022 - Solving the goaltending system wide.

GASabresIUFAN

Who will be the goaltenders next season  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be UPL's partner next season

• Anderson
    • DeSmith
    • Dreidger
    • Hellybuyck
    • Comrie
    • MAF
    • Hotlby
    • Husso
    • A Russian RFA like Samsonov or Georgiev
    • Other
  2. 2. Who will be the 2 goalies in Rochester (Pick 2)

• Houser
    • Tokarski
    • UPL
    • Subban
    • Dell
    • Other

51 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Man I do really miss Cal Petersen’s .895 sv%. We would be playoff bound with that quality goaltending.

Until recently, I haven't really looked into his struggles:

-He has played 4 seasons now (although only a handful of games in the first 2 seasons) and his career GAA is 2.84 and Save percentage .908

-Every year of his career, Petersen's save % has gotten lower. As mentioned, this year he is at .895 with a pretty big sample size.

-For comparison sake, Linus Ulmark has career numbers of 2.73 and .912.  Most of that behind a pretty bad NHL D-unit. 

-In VERY limited time, UPL is 2.74 and .917 this year and 3.08 .913 for his career.

Here is the big thing...Petersen singed that new contract with the Kings, 3 more years at $5 per year.

Things can turn around for any player, especially a goalie, but it might not be the worst thing in the world that the Sabres lost Petersen to the Kings.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Flashsabre said:

Man I do really miss Cal Petersen’s .895 sv%. We would be playoff bound with that quality goaltending.

35 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Until recently, I haven't really looked into his struggles:

-He has played 4 seasons now (although only a handful of games in the first 2 seasons) and his career GAA is 2.84 and Save percentage .908

-Every year of his career, Petersen's save % has gotten lower. As mentioned, this year he is at .895 with a pretty big sample size.

-For comparison sake, Linus Ulmark has career numbers of 2.73 and .912.  Most of that behind a pretty bad NHL D-unit. 

-In VERY limited time, UPL is 2.74 and .917 this year and 3.08 .913 for his career.

Here is the big thing...Petersen singed that new contract with the Kings, 3 more years at $5 per year.

Things can turn around for any player, especially a goalie, but it might not be the worst thing in the world that the Sabres lost Petersen to the Kings.

This is what makes all the handwringing about Portillo’s return to college so useless.  Portillo is a Petersen level college goaltender.  Their numbers are nearly identical in similar circumstances.  Petersen’s stats at ND were 2.20 .927 in 37 games facing 1049 shots as a sophomore. Portillo’s 2.14 .926 were in 42 games facing 1111 shots. Both guys were the backbone of defensively limited teams.  Petersen’s junior was nearly identical to his sophomore at 2.22 .926. 

Petersen has been ok in the NHL with a 2.84 .908 in 90 games.  Honestly Ullmark has been and continues to be the better goalie.  

So could Portillo become a better pro then Petersen?  Certainly, but Levi is the better prospect and he seems to want to be here. (Nothing has been written saying Portillo doesn’t want to be here, only that he wants to return to school).  Ryan Miller also returned for his junior year after winning the Hobey.

As long as we sign Levi, I’m not real concerned about signing Portillo, but I want them both.  Competition is a good thing.

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

I know scoring is up considerably this year.

Curious if anyone knows if save percentages are down as a result. Like is a .910 this year equivalent to a .920 3 years ago?

https://www.hockey-reference.com/leagues/stats.html

This page is what you want.  League save % is same as last season, but it has dropped over the past 5 years.

• Thanks (+1) 2

2 hours ago, RochesterExpat said:

Shooting is up which is resulting in more pucks going in the net. Hence why SV% has been in line with last year all season while number of goals has gone up.

Welcome to the board!

• Thanks (+1) 1

If I could have 1 wish for this team right now, it would be that Levi is the real deal and he is signed and ready to go in 2 years. We could then go sign a top free agent veteran goalie this summer and not wait any longer for a playoff run. Even though that game last was 6-2, They had 1,000 chances that were created and that was good enough for me. Where is that floor $$ going to go this Summer, where is it going to go.....can't wait

• Thanks (+1) 1

On 4/12/2022 at 2:11 PM, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

We need @Ducky to help out.  Is Winnipeg looking to make a partial rebuild?  That is the only way I can see when they would make Hellebuck available.  We would have make it worth their while in any event.

We need help but I'm not sure trading Helle is the way to go; however, I don't think Helle re-signs with the Jets. I have no reason or quotes or anything of that nature to think this, it is just a gut feeling.

I don't think we need a rebuild with players like Connor, Ehlers, PLD, JMo, Perfetti and Helle...maybe a re-tool?

I thought Dillon and Schmidt were going to be a big help but it turns out they are just a big caphit. I would've traded both of them at the TD but Chevy is STILL holding out hope of making the playoffs...

Giving the HC duties to Lowry was a huge mistake and I think the team gets one more year with a new coaching staff before players futures are decided.

I think Chevy has 2 more years if the team continues to flounder.

edit ... there is nobody in the system ready to take over for Helle.

Edited by Ducky
  • Thanks (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Ducky said:

We need help but I'm not sure trading Helle is the way to go; however, I don't think Helle re-signs with the Jets. I have no reason or quotes or anything of that nature to think this, it is just a gut feeling.

I don't think we need a rebuild with players like Connor, Ehlers, PLD, JMo, Perfetti and Helle...maybe a re-tool?

I thought Dillon and Schmidt were going to be a big help but it turns out they are just a big caphit. I would've traded both of them at the TD but Chevy is STILL holding out hope of making the playoffs...

Giving the HC duties to Lowry was a huge mistake and I think the team gets one more year with a new coaching staff before players futures are decided.

Helle looked absolutely awful last game. Just an isolated game but boy was that ugly.

5 hours ago, Ducky said:

How bout Comrie? Can he be a starter in your opinion?

4 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Portillo most likely is trade bait right now, as he should be.   Let him be involved in a trade for another goalie.

He's had quite a few bad games this year and the team in front of him isn't doing him any favors.

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

After watching today's game anyone who had Martin Jones on their potential goaltender lists should scratch that name off for good. 

He didn’t exactly get much help.  How exactly was he going to stop the Thompson, Dahlin and Okposo goals?  All three set up by perfect passes through the defense.  Really Vinnie’s goal excusable as well.  It was a giveaway practically in the crease.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

3 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

He didn’t exactly get much help.  How exactly was he going to stop the Thompson, Dahlin and Okposo goals?  All three set up by perfect passes through the defense.  Really Vinnie’s goal excusable as well.  It was a giveaway practically in the crease.  

This is true, their D is bad (even when Risto doesn't play) but I've seen a few Philly games and he isn't good. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.