Offseason Gameplan 2022 - Solving the goaltending system wide.

GASabresIUFAN

Who will be the goaltenders next season  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be UPL's partner next season

• Anderson
    • DeSmith
    • Dreidger
    • Hellybuyck
    • Comrie
    • MAF
    • Hotlby
    • Husso
    • A Russian RFA like Samsonov or Georgiev
    • Other
  2. 2. Who will be the 2 goalies in Rochester (Pick 2)

• Houser
    • Tokarski
    • UPL
    • Subban
    • Dell
    • Other

7 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

If anything we'd a deep dive on his analytics.

While this is hardly a deep dive, I did pull up his numbers from this season because I was curious. His analytics don't match the eye test in my opinion. He doesn't look solid in net. That being said, of the 71 goalies to play 10 or more games, he's been middle-of-the-pack (although better than any of the three Sabres goalies to have played 10+ games) in virtually every category except rebound control where he is tied for 8th or so. Buffalo is at the bottom of the league for blocked shots and Seattle isn't a ton better. Buffalo goalies face more shots on average than Seattle. That doesn't bode well for him here.

He was behind a Florida defense where he played some absolutely solid goaltending before joining Seattle. I don't know if I trust Buffalo's defense to make that big of a leap in a single year.

If you lower the threshold to 9 games, UPL is a statistically much better goalie than Driedger.

Of course, if you lower that threshold to two games, Buffalo has the goaltending God, Michael Houser, near the top of every category. So take that for what you will.

So it looks like UPL is injured again -- am I crazy or is this a pretty frequent occurrence with him?  He had double hip surgery a couple of years ago, got hurt earlier this season when he was starting to play well for the Sabres and now another injury right at the start of the playoffs?

He's only 23, but this doesn't seem to bode well.

• Like (+1) 4

15 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

So it looks like UPL is injured again -- am I crazy or is this a pretty frequent occurrence with him?  He had double hip surgery a couple of years ago, got hurt earlier this season when he was starting to play well for the Sabres and now another injury right at the start of the playoffs?

The double hip surgery was preventative, but yeah, since coming back he does seem a bit injury prone.

IF it's just trying too hard to cover for a bad D, maybe it won't be a chronic issue.  And, yeah, definitely concerning at this point. 

Edited by Taro T

Do we know if every single injury since his hip surgery … is the same body part and ailment? Or are his injuries different areas of his body?

because in my mind if it’s different body parts, and ailments …  that’s not too concerning for me.

but if it’s the same body part that’s injuring over and over… That’s pretty concerning.

14 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Do we know if every single injury since his hip surgery … is the same body part and ailment? Or are his injuries different areas of his body?

because in my mind if it’s different body parts, and ailments …  that’s not too concerning for me.

but if it’s the same body part that’s injuring over and over… That’s pretty concerning.

They've been different.

38 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Did you watch the play he got injured on? Guessing no. 

We all know most of the a available UFAs. I’d like to add one to the conversation.  26 year old Eric Comrie, who finally got a chance to play decent NHL minutes and performed well.  In 19 games he had a 2.58 gaa and a .920 save %.  This is coupled with gradual improvement at the AHL level makes me think he could be a real value find.  

I also compiled a list of NHL trade targets with varying levels of availability based on term remaining on their contracts

1 yr left - Quick, Varlamov (M-NTC), F Anderson (M-NTC), Bernier, Talbot, Jarry, and Allen.  With Price back for Mon, is Allen now available?  Not real interested in Bernier.  Talbot, Anderson and Jarry aren’t available. Quick and Varlamov probably won’t come here.

2 yrs left - Murray (M-NTC), Hellebuyck, Sorokin, Mrazek (M-NTC) and Dreidger (M-NTC). I’m interested in Dreidger.  Hard pass on Murray and Mrazek. Doubt Saros and Hellebuyck are available.

3 yrs left - Shesterkin (M-NTC), Petersen (M-NTC), Saros, Ullmark (M-NTC), Lehner (M-NTC), Forsberg, and Vejmelka.  No on Lehner and Petersen. I wouldn’t mind getting Ullmark back.  The rest are probably unavailable.

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

We all know most of the a available UFAs. I’d like to add one to the conversation.  26 year old Eric Comrie, who finally got a chance to play decent NHL minutes and performed well.  In 19 games he had a 2.58 gaa and a .920 save %.  This is coupled with gradual improvement at the AHL level makes me think he could be a real value find.  

I also compiled a list of NHL trade targets with varying levels of availability based on term remaining on their contracts

1 yr left - Quick, Varlamov (M-NTC), F Anderson (M-NTC), Bernier, Talbot, Jarry, and Allen.  With Price back for Mon, is Allen now available?  Not real interested in Bernier.  Talbot, Anderson and Jarry aren’t available. Quick and Varlamov probably won’t come here.

2 yrs left - Murray (M-NTC), Hellebuyck, Sorokin, Mrazek (M-NTC) and Dreidger (M-NTC). I’m interested in Dreidger.  Hard pass on Murray and Mrazek. Doubt Saros and Hellebuyck are available.

3 yrs left - Shesterkin (M-NTC), Petersen (M-NTC), Saros, Ullmark (M-NTC), Lehner (M-NTC), Forsberg, and Vejmelka.  No on Lehner and Petersen. I wouldn’t mind getting Ullmark back.  The rest are probably unavailable.

Comrie is an interesting name to look at. That entire Jets organization will be interesting to watch this offseason to see where they go with that roster.

Problem is the Sabres have to spend big money somewhere so throwing coin at a good goalie is the logical option. If thy spend somewhere else then Comrie would be someone to look at. He fits the age range that goalies come into their own.

4 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Varlamov is most likely going to be on move from as a cap causality, but by all accounts likes the NYC Area. As You mentioned He probably doesn’t waive for Buffalo, but in the unlikely event Lou wants to make a deal in the division, New Jersey comes to mind. 

Hellebuyck is the interesting one. Winnipeg just nuked their entire coaching staff and Mark Schieffle Is making overtures they He might want out. There also has been speculation that if Dubois doesn’t want to sign a long term deal He maybe on the move and Hellebuyck will want out a well.  The Jets appear to be inching down the road to a rebuild and getting a Top 5 Draft Pick in 2023 would set them up nicely on that path. Moving Hellebuyck with two years left for assets might be the play.

The Cost to the Sabres would be interesting. The ask from Chevy would probably be 9 or 16 and either Portillo or Levi. 
The question becomes is a bird in hand better than two in the bush?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Varlamov is most likely going to be on move from as a cap causality, but by all accounts likes the NYC Area. As You mentioned He probably doesn’t waive for Buffalo, but in the unlikely event Lou wants to make a deal in the division, New Jersey comes to mind. 

Hellebuyck is the interesting one. Winnipeg just nuked their entire coaching staff and Mark Schieffle Is making overtures they He might want out. There also has been speculation that if Dubois doesn’t want to sign a long term deal He maybe on the move and Hellebuyck will want out a well.  The Jets appear to be inching down the road to a rebuild and getting a Top 5 Draft Pick in 2023 would set them up nicely on that path. Moving Hellebuyck with two years left for assets might be the play.

The Cost to the Sabres would be interesting. The ask from Chevy would probably be 9 or 16 and either Portillo or Levi. 

Hellebucyk would fit perfectly w/ what they need & w/ what Adams is trying to do.  But really doubt Adams would pull off something that big for the ST gain w/out it also being there LT.

Maybe that's the trade @Weave kinda saw in his vision of doing something that hurts more than we'd like to see.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Hellebuyck is intriguing indeed. It would be a big move.

I don’t know if they make him available though, the only coach retained was Wade Flaherty, the goalie coach.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

9 would match the highest price paid for a goalie in the cap era. Helle is worth it but the 2 years thing might scare me off.

I'd do 16 and Portillo though.

• Like (+1) 1

I'm all for bringing in a somewhat young goalie that will be an above average guy.   Off the top of my head the thing I would think the Sabres would look for is someone under 28 years old....some NHL games but flew under the radar (probably as a backup), but someone in that time that gave me at least a .910 save percentage.  Looking at that...there really isn't much available.

Unless you can make a big time trade for one of the top guys, I think UPL might be the best thing for the Sabres as the intended starter with a decent veteran backup.  I really don't see many other 'younger' but 'ready for the NHL' options available out there.

22 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Hellebucyk would fit perfectly w/ what they need & w/ what Adams is trying to do.  But really doubt Adams would pull off something that big for the ST gain w/out it also being there LT.

Maybe that's the trade @Weave kinda saw in his vision of doing something that hurts more than we'd like to see.

Not this trade specifically, but my opinion is, yeah someone we value alot is moving in a hockey trade.  This would certainly fit that bill.

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

Problem solved 

This is exactly what I want to hear from the GM.  He is also proving himself to be an expert negotiator.  Stating he plans on using all 2022 first round picks to draft players just increased the value of those picks in a trade.  Bravo good sir.  Bravo. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.