It's April, and the Sabres are not Eliminated from the Playoffs

SwampD

Went to the standings just to check on something and was struck by this. Does anybody know the last time the Sabres weren't eliminated from the playoffs in April. I know it's inevitable, but I still found it interesting.

Maybe they haven't even made it to April since this decade of ass began. A better question may be what is the latest that they have been eliminated.

Just curious.

April 1st NHL Standings.png

Not to be *that guy*, but part of the reason has to be the sort of break in February ... I'll show myself out.

Really, though, it's very encouraging that the Sabres are playing well in March and should be in April.  The last time that happened was 10 years ago.  A decade of ass, indeed.

I remember some years that they were eliminated very late in the season.  No specific season come to mind and I am too busy to look it up.  I think maybe even on the last day.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, The Ghost of Doohickie said:

Not to be *that guy*, but part of the reason has to be the sort of break in February ... I'll show myself out.

Really, though, it's very encouraging that the Sabres are playing well in March and should be in April.  The last time that happened was 10 years ago.  A decade of ass, indeed.

I remember some years that they were eliminated very late in the season.  No specific season come to mind and I am too busy to look it up.  I think maybe even on the last day.

They started the season 5-1-1. They are ending 8-3-3 so far.  In between 11-29-7. Ouch!  Anderson would play only 1 more game after the victory over Ana for the 5th win to start the season until 1-29-2022.

This is a good team when healthy and the JAGs aren’t playing.  Hopefully they are learning to win and that carries over into next season.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, SwampD said:

Went to the standings just to check on something and was struck by this. Does anybody know the last time the Sabres weren't eliminated from the playoffs in April. I know it's inevitable, but I still found it interesting.

Maybe they haven't even made it to April since this decade of ass began. A better question may be what is the latest that they have been eliminated.

Just curious.

April 1st NHL Standings.png

Technically the Sabres were in the playoffs hunt until the very least day of the season two years ago. That's when the playoff field was expanded to 24. MTL beat us by a couple thousandth of point %. The season was called off when were in MTL. A win and we would have gotten in.

There is a different feel about this team as the season winds down. That becomes evident when we play superior teams yet are able to match their play whether it ends up in a win or loss. In the last dozen or so games, other than the Edmonton game, I can't recall saying to myself that this team was overmatched. 

The game that struck this chord for me was the Colorado game at home. Entering this game Colorado was playing exceptionally well and were having a terrific extended road trip. This was a game where the Sabres played at the minimum evenly or in my eyes outplayed the Avalanche. We ended up losing a late lead because of a couple of soft goals. 

What's encouraging is that you can see the internal improvement of young players currently on the roster and know that there are a few young prospects (Quinn, JJ and Power) that are near ready to make the jump to thicken the roster.  

Once this organization is able to solidify the goalie position the team will be ready to climb up rankings. Even the pessimists have to acknowledge the major difference of where this team was between the beginning of last season and the ending of this season. That's a big leap forward. 

3 minutes ago, JohnC said:

There is a different feel about this team as the season winds down. That becomes evident when we play superior teams yet are able to match their play whether it ends up in a win or loss. In the last dozen or so games, other than the Edmonton game, I can't recall saying to myself that this team was overmatched. 

The game that struck this chord for me was the Colorado game at home. Entering this game Colorado was playing exceptionally well and were having a terrific extended road trip. This was a game where the Sabres played at the minimum evenly or in my eyes outplayed the Avalanche. We ended up losing a late lead because of a couple of soft goals. 

What's encouraging is that you can see the internal improvement of young players currently on the roster and know that there are a few young prospects (Quinn, JJ and Power) that are near ready to make the jump to thicken the roster.  

Once this organization is able to solidify the goalie position the team will be ready to climb up rankings. Even the pessimists have to acknowledge the major difference of where this team was between the beginning of last season and the ending of this season. That's a big leap forward. 

Yeah goaltending, especially during the stretch where we were down to like our 5th and 6th string goalies due to injuries was ridiculously bad. Seems they allow at least one softie most nights.

In 2 years this team will be going places I think...they have a legit pipeline of young talent coming up.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Zamboni said:

Not eliminated yet?

hold my beer watch this …

I hope to be proven wrong, but I just don’t see them getting in for the upcoming postseason. Too many games have been going past regulation lately. Sure, we have walked away with at least a point in recent games, but I think a lot of us would prefer regulation wins (and not let the other teams pick up that extra point).

1 hour ago, Mustache of God said:

The season usually ends in early April, this year it's at the end of April. BUT - in a normal season it'd be march and we're not eliminated. PROGRESS!

You  son    of     a     b!tch.

😂

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.