Devon Levi watch, update: he's returning to college

LGR4GM

4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

It doesn't matter, that's the entire point of ""If a Player drafted at age 18 or 19 is a bona fide college student at the time of his selection in the Entry Draft, or becomes a bona fide college student prior to the first June 1 following his selection in the Entry Draft... the fourth June 1 following his selection in the Entry Draft," 

He became a college player as of June 1 in the year following his selection. He will complete 4 years post draft next year. Both things at play, he's can leave college and become a UFA if he wants. 

Thank you for being patient with me.

I see what happened now.

"Levi committed to play in Boston for the NCAA Division I Northeastern University's Huskies men's ice hockey team, starting in the 2020–21 season. However, Levi did not begin his college career until the following season, due to his lingering rib injury"

He was in school just not playing. 

3 minutes ago, woods-racer said:

Thank you for being patient with me.

I see what happened now.

"Levi committed to play in Boston for the NCAA Division I Northeastern University's Huskies men's ice hockey team, starting in the 2020–21 season. However, Levi did not begin his college career until the following season, due to his lingering rib injury"

He was in school just not playing. 

And Portillo started school, 1 year after being drafted. 

Okay, was interested enough to look for Portillo:

Drafted at 18 or 19: check

Drafted Late June 2019 by the Sabres

Played USHL 2019-2020

Played NCAA 2020-2021 and 2021-2022

So, the question is, when is he a bona-fide college student? From the sounds of it, it had to be before June 1 2020.

Edited by MattPie

Oh, more:

Portillo was already committed to Michigan when former Sabres General Manager Jason Botterill selected the prospect in the third round, pick No. 67, at the NHL draft in June 2019. Portillo went undrafted during his first year of eligibility in 2018 and spent the 2018-19 season with the under-20 junior team for Frolunda, the same program in Sweden that developed Rasmus Dahlin.

https://buffalonews.com/sports/sabres/sabres-goalie-prospect-erik-portillo-preparing-to-take-over-starting-job-at-michigan/article_6b29dd52-ce02-11eb-bf56-f3d526154ea3.html

5 minutes ago, MattPie said:

Okay, was interested enough to look:

Drafted Late June 2019.

Played USHL 2019-2020

So, the question is, when is he a bona-fide college student? From the sounds of it, it had to be before June 1 2020.

Signing a commitment letter is a bona-fide student, so I'm assuming the letter was signed pre June 2021.

Levi was drafted on 2020.

edit 

Sorry Matt you're talk Portillo

Edited by woods-racer

10 minutes ago, MattPie said:

Okay, was interested enough to look:

Drafted Late June 2019.

Played USHL 2019-2020

He must have signed a commitment letter prior to June of 2020. 

15 minutes ago, woods-racer said:

Signing a commitment letter is a bona-fide student, so I'm assuming the letter was signed pre June 2021.

Levi was drafted on 2020.

edit 

Sorry Matt you're talk Portillo

9 minutes ago, woods-racer said:

He must have signed a commitment letter prior to June of 2020. 

Signing a commitment letter is not the same as being enrolled or being a bona-fide student.  You can sign a commitment letter then change your mind and never go.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Curt said:

Signing a commitment letter is not the same as being enrolled or being a bona-fide student.  You can sign a commitment letter then change your mind and never go.

Then how are you a bona-fide student in May of 2020 (Levi's date) ? 

I'm assuming a commitment letter and that commitment is fulfilled when you show up to school that fall.

1 hour ago, woods-racer said:

Then how are you a bona-fide student in May of 2020 (Levi's date) ? 

I'm assuming a commitment letter and that commitment is fulfilled when you show up to school that fall.

He committed to Northeastern in January 2020 (after previously having committed and backed out of Vermont) and then must have been officially enrolled before June 1st 2020.  I guess.

Cal Peterson was drafted in 2013.  He played the following season in the USHL, then played 3 years at Notre Dame after which he became free agent.   

If Portillo returns to Michigan he would officially become a UFA July 1st 2023.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, bunomatic said:

Is Portillo Swedish ? If so get the Swedish mafia on the Sabres to have a heart to heart with him if you know what I mean.

His nickname is Swedish Bull

10 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Cal Peterson was drafted in 2013.  He played the following season in the USHL, then played 3 years at Notre Dame after which he became free agent.   

If Portillo returns to Michigan he would officially become a UFA July 1st 2023.

Sign him immediately after he leads his team to an NCAA Championship

• Thanks (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, bunomatic said:

Is Portillo Swedish ? If so get the Swedish mafia on the Sabres to have a heart to heart with him if you know what I mean.

He actually played for the Frolunda Junior Team during Dahlin’s Final Season there 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

It's interesting to try and put ourselves in these guys shoes.

If I'm Levi or Portillo I'm happy to have the chance to sign with the Sabres that are clearly a team with a lot of young developing talent at forward and defense and there's really no solid block to taking or earning the #1 goaltender spot on the Sabres.  I'm not scared to go head to head with the other (Levi or Portillo or UPL for that matter) for the chance to win the eventual #1 spot.  These guys all must have confidence in their abilities.

Would it really be an issue to have both Portillo and Levi in Rochester next season and getting call ups when they earn it (or with injuries.............like we have for the last two seasons using every goalie in the organization and even having to sign additional guys just to play games).

Should be an easy sell for Adams to sign both.  Get er done KA.

8 hours ago, Digger said:

It's interesting to try and put ourselves in these guys shoes.

If I'm Levi or Portillo I'm happy to have the chance to sign with the Sabres that are clearly a team with a lot of young developing talent at forward and defense and there's really no solid block to taking or earning the #1 goaltender spot on the Sabres.  I'm not scared to go head to head with the other (Levi or Portillo or UPL for that matter) for the chance to win the eventual #1 spot.  These guys all must have confidence in their abilities.

Would it really be an issue to have both Portillo and Levi in Rochester next season and getting call ups when they earn it (or with injuries.............like we have for the last two seasons using every goalie in the organization and even having to sign additional guys just to play games).

Should be an easy sell for Adams to sign both.  Get er done KA.

Their really is no better place to be for a goalie prospect right now. You win and you're in. 

• Like (+1) 2