Devon Levi watch, update: he's returning to college

LGR4GM

On 3/27/2022 at 10:51 AM, tom webster said:

I’ve always stayed out of these discussions about “insiders” but this Chad discussion is exactly the thing people don’t understand. There are people close to people that hear things. Also, believe it or not, teams discuss multiple possibilities. For instance, I was told by someone not far removed from KA that Ullmark was done. It obviously didn’t happen. Why? I have a few theories but I am  not in a position to take Kevin to lunch and verify it, so I guess I lost credibility. Things are fluid. Situations arise and change on a dime. Sometimes people that you trust one hundred percent make assumptions as to where things are heading and end up wrong. I could go on and on, drop a few names and some will post that I’m making it all up, some that know me will defend me and the thread will be hijacked. I hope that doesn’t happen. Just felt the need to defend Chad.

Wife: Lets go to Mighty Taco for dinner on Tuesday. 

Report: Couple will have Mexican food at Mighty Taco Tuesday. 

Tuesday comes…

Wife: my stomach is really upset and I think we should stay in.

Report: Couple decides against Mexican

Public: liar

• Haha (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Curt said:

What is the last goalie to come in from college and skip over the AHL, going straight to the NHL???

47 minutes ago, Curt said:

What is the last goalie to come in from college and skip over the AHL, going straight to the NHL???

Im saying burn a year to get money usually all college players do this before heading to the AHL the next year 

39 minutes ago, SDS said:

Tuesday comes…

So true it hurts.

On 3/27/2022 at 10:51 AM, tom webster said:

I’ve always stayed out of these discussions about “insiders” but this Chad discussion is exactly the thing people don’t understand. There are people close to people that hear things. Also, believe it or not, teams discuss multiple possibilities. For instance, I was told by someone not far removed from KA that Ullmark was done. It obviously didn’t happen. Why? I have a few theories but I am  not in a position to take Kevin to lunch and verify it, so I guess I lost credibility. Things are fluid. Situations arise and change on a dime. Sometimes people that you trust one hundred percent make assumptions as to where things are heading and end up wrong. I could go on and on, drop a few names and some will post that I’m making it all up, some that know me will defend me and the thread will be hijacked. I hope that doesn’t happen. Just felt the need to defend Chad.

I’ve learned to just keep my mouth shut, except for private face to face conversations.  Being sued is no fun at all. Even when you know you’re right.

10 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Levi’s Backup at Northeastern just entered the transfer portal. Levi is probably returning to Northeastern.

I genuinely hope the “why” is an incorrect assumption.  Levi has nothing more to gain in NCAA.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Weave said:

Levi has nothing more to gain in NCAA.

...other than a title.  Like someone said:  Once you leave the NCAA that door is closed forever.  If that's been his goal for the last couple years and he thinks it's a real possibility, I could see him staying in college.

2 minutes ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

...other than a title.  Like someone said:  Once you leave the NCAA that door is closed forever.  If that's been his goal for the last couple years and he thinks it's a real possibility, I could see him staying in college.

There's a mom/dad in the back ground going *stay one more year, keep working for that diploma you'll need it after hockey...*

• Haha (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

He's Canadian.   I don't believe his childhood dream was to win an NCAA title with Northeastern.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

That's why I said the last couple years.

He played no games last season but he was at Northeastern.

Ok, gotcha.  

He's a hyper-competitive kid, I believe he'd prefer to take the next step and start his pro career.   That said, it depends heavily on what KA wants for him as well.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

Unfortunately, from a professional development POV, that would hold him back.

2 hours ago, SDS said:

Tuesday comes…

This is every moment of my life but substitute my boss, friends and family for public and change my wife’s upset stomach with any irrelevant thing that matters to no one on earth other than my wife.  

11 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Ok, gotcha.  

He's a hyper-competitive kid, I believe he'd prefer to take the next step and start his pro career.   That said, it depends heavily on what KA wants for him as well.

6 minutes ago, Weave said:

Unfortunately, from a professional development POV, that would hold him back.

On the other hand, he's been immersed in his current (college) team.  They're his friends, his hockey family.  The Sabres are an abstraction to him.  I saw someone ask him about how much he paid attention to the Sabres and he said essentially "very little."

Having just come out of the tournament I think it's likely he needs some time to decompress and think about his future.  At this point he might not even know whether he will return to college for another year.

• Thanks (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Not worried, barely matters if he goes back for 1 more year. 

This depends. As it stands, the future starting goalie position is UPL’s to lose. He really doesn’t need to prove himself, just not downright suck. If Portillo signs, he’s the next man up. After being in professional ranks, it’s now Portillo’s position to lose. This is assuming we’re going to go with a goalie 1A and 1B. With a whole year of professional development, Levi would really have to outplay Portillo to leapfrog him. If they display similar skill at the professional level, which is entire possible, the nod will go to Portillo. A level playing field is what Levi is giving up if he doesn’t sign this year. 

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

Levi’s Backup at Northeastern just entered the transfer portal. Levi is probably returning to Northeastern.

Maybe they just didn’t like it at Northeastern.  Their HC and also Goaltending coach were in their first year on the job.  Maybe it’s not the staff who were in place when they committed to Northeastern and they aren’t fans.

EDIT:  I looked it up the current HC and goaltending coach are not the people who were in those positions when any of those players committed.  Maybe the just don’t like the coaches or the coaches aren’t good.  The team did not perform very well apart from Levi’s virtuoso performances.

Edited by Curt