2022 Offseason Game Plan

GASabresIUFAN

1 minute ago, sweetlou said:

thoughts???

https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/3202523

I want JJ and UPL to start the year with the Amerks and be called up because they are too good. I want them to earn a spot on big club.  Of course if Husso or Korpi struggle then you can bring UPL up and give him a shot.

They did earn it.

They're moving up. 

No outside help is coming. 

Maybe goaltending. They need that.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Norcal said:

They did earn it.

They're moving up. 

No outside help is coming. 

Maybe goaltending. They need that.

That won’t get us to the cap floor.  

We need to upgrade Eakin, Pysyk and the goaltending.  I don’t think Fitz or Pysyk are good enough to be in our top 6 next season, except as injury replacements.  I also think we need a center for KO’s line.  One who can do what Eakin does, but adds significantly more offense and who can play up when necessary.  Asplund and Girgensons aren’t those guys.  They are better suited on the wing, and neither is stellar in the faceoff circle.  Z is a career 45% and Asplund 42.  Eakin has won nearly 57% of 860 draws this season.  Z and Asplund have only taken 300 draws total. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

We need to upgrade Eakin, Pysyk and the goaltending.  I don’t think Fitz or Pysyk are good enough to be in our top 6 next season, except as injury replacements.  I also think we need a center for KO’s line.  One who can do what Eakin does, but adds significantly more offense and who can play up when necessary.  Asplund and Girgensons aren’t those guys.  They are better suited on the wing, and neither is stellar in the faceoff circle.  Z is a career 45% and Asplund 42.  Eakin has won nearly 57% of 860 draws this season.  Z and Asplund have only taken 300 draws total. 

A line composed of Asplund/Gerg/Okposo would be an excellent fourth line. This would be more of a stopper than a scoring line. If you can get somewhere in the range of Okposo scoring 15 goals and Asplund and Gergs in the 10-12 range, I wouldn't be bothered with their lack of scoring potency. And every once in a while you can move Okposo up to a higher line for him to be given more scoring opportunities. As far as the face-off deficiency sometimes you just have to live with a deficiency in order to benefit for what they give you in other aspects of the game. 

Hot take:

A good to very good young player is going to be moved in this offseason for a very good veteran player.  Getting to the cap floor will be partially why.

A bunch of us are going to be really disappointed and vocal about the player that goes, but in the end it’ll be a good hockey trade.

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

A line composed of Asplund/Gerg/Okposo would be an excellent fourth line. This would be more of a stopper than a scoring line. If you can get somewhere in the range of Okposo scoring 15 goals and Asplund and Gergs in the 10-12 range, I wouldn't be bothered with their lack of scoring potency. And every once in a while you can move Okposo up to a higher line for him to be given more scoring opportunities. As far as the face-off deficiency sometimes you just have to live with a deficiency in order to benefit for what they give you in other aspects of the game. 

35-40 goals from your 4th line is very optimistic. Even 30 is probably above average. This is assuming they don’t move up the ranks during the season. 

14 minutes ago, Weave said:

Hot take:

A good to very good young player is going to be moved in this offseason for a very good veteran player.  Getting to the cap floor will be partially why.

A bunch of us are going to be really disappointed and vocal about the player that goes, but in the end it’ll be a good hockey trade.

I really can’t see it. Mainly because The closest players that would fill that role would be either to low in value presently/stupid to trade(Mitts) and Krebs (Definitely needs to bulk up some)

Cozens is too much of a poster child for our whole system of doing things to be dealt. I guess Bryson or Fitzgerald could be traded but I can’t imagine they’d be key pieces in a solid trade.

Who would we exactly be targeting and in what position? The only reasonable idea would be a 24 to 27 year old RHD on a good long term contract. Trading large assets for goalies rarely works in this day and age and hold very little likelihood of success. And most of our forward positions are already filled besides a 4th line FO winning center.

12 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

I really can’t see it. Mainly because The closest players that would fill that role would be either to low in value presently/stupid to trade(Mitts) and Krebs (Definitely needs to bulk up some)

Cozens is too much of a poster child for our whole system of doing things to be dealt. I guess Bryson or Fitzgerald could be traded but I can’t imagine they’d be key pieces in a solid trade.

Who would we exactly be targeting and in what position? The only reasonable idea would be a 24 to 27 year old RHD on a good long term contract. Trading large assets for goalies rarely works in this day and age and hold very little likelihood of success. And most of our forward positions are already filled besides a 4th line FO winning center.

Are you really asking me to fully flesh out a hot take?  😂

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Maybe?  No significant upgrade in goal will guarantee 12 years with no playoffs. Don’t let the last month fool you. 

They need it. I say maybe because I don't know if they will look outside or promote UPL and pray.

I think you're right though, not addressing the goaltending will lead to further missed playoffs. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Pysyk isn't signed.

I did post that I could see a veteran third pair signed to shore up the defense and add some playoff experience.  

Bryson and Fitz as a 7-8 are fine. 

Goaltending help may not come cheap so that will take up some cap.

They may also get creative and add some injured contracts like they did this offseason. Carey Price huge number for example. 

1 hour ago, Norcal said:

I'm starting to think there won't be many changes next year besides goaltending. 

Quinn and Peterka will replace Hiney and Eakin.

Lines could look like this:

Skinner TNT Tuch

Peterka Mitts Quinn

Asplund Krebs Oloffson

Girgensons Cozens Okposo

Bjork, maybe they sign Hiney as 13-14th F

Dahlin Muel

Power Joki

Vet? Vet?

Bryson Fitz 

??? UPL

???

The "vets" the team leans on will be Tuch,TNT, Skinner Okposo, Dahlin etc.

No help is coming and I donno if they need it.

Another year of maturity and continuity could be all they need.

The only thing missing is playoff experience so maybe they can find a couple playoff tested D men to wack and hack in the playoffs. 

Instead of re signing Hiney maybe they look to add a C who can move up and down as needed. 

Edited by Norcal

I've posted on this thread a few times, and my thinking keeps changing in subtle ways. Goaltending is needed, but I'm good with planning for UPL to be hear next year full time, as long as you have a capable backup (nothing groundbreaking there).

I don't need to see many free agent signings, certainly not anything close to the big money guys.  Also, don't need any signings or trades for 'veteran leadership guys'. I think this team has what they need there already.

I'd like to see just subtle changed to the core.  Lets see if Quinn and JJP can make the roster....see if Mitts and Cozens show more production. Power develops and Dahlin goes from a top 20 D-guy (what he has been playing like the past couple months) to a top 10 guy.  IF those things happen this team will be fine on the ice.  If they don't, then you can make moves early in the season next year to address those issues.  

This isn't a playoff team and probably won't be next year, but I'm happy with seeing where they can go with most of what they have here now (goaltending obviously is the biggest concern for Wins though)

1 hour ago, Weave said:

Hot take:

I don't think this is to outlandish.  There are 2 real possible places this happens.  1) Okposo line center.  The Sabres need a better Cody Eakin and Asplund or Girgensons could become the odd man out because of it.  I can easily see a deal of Asplund for a medium $ middle six center.  2) Depth on defense.  Bryson is a nice utility D who I believe KA would prefer to keep, however he himself he wants another veteran RHD in this lineup.  Like the Asplund deal, Bryson for a top 4 veteran RHD.  From a Sabres standpoint neither player is irreplaceable and have deficiencies in their games that puts them down on the depth chart.  However other teams would love to have them because of the reasonable skill level and cheap contracts.    

17 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I don't think this is to outlandish.  There are 2 real possible places this happens.  1) Okposo line center.  The Sabres need a better Cody Eakin and Asplund or Girgensons could become the odd man out because of it.  I can easily see a deal of Asplund for a medium $ middle six center.  2) Depth on defense.  Bryson is a nice utility D who I believe KA would prefer to keep, however he himself he wants another veteran RHD in this lineup.  Like the Asplund deal, Bryson for a top 4 veteran RHD.  From a Sabres standpoint neither player is irreplaceable and have deficiencies in their games that puts them down on the depth chart.  However other teams would love to have them because of the reasonable skill level and cheap contracts.    

Think bigger.

2 hours ago, Weave said:

Hot take:

I am ok with this if the vet is real help and fills one of the major needs - goalie, RHD, Center.  

3 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

I've posted on this thread a few times, and my thinking keeps changing in subtle ways. Goaltending is needed, but I'm good with planning for UPL to be hear next year full time, as long as you have a capable backup (nothing groundbreaking there).

I don't need to see many free agent signings, certainly not anything close to the big money guys.  Also, don't need any signings or trades for 'veteran leadership guys'. I think this team has what they need there already.

I'd like to see just subtle changed to the core.  Lets see if Quinn and JJP can make the roster....see if Mitts and Cozens show more production. Power develops and Dahlin goes from a top 20 D-guy (what he has been playing like the past couple months) to a top 10 guy.  IF those things happen this team will be fine on the ice.  If they don't, then you can make moves early in the season next year to address those issues.  

This isn't a playoff team and probably won't be next year, but I'm happy with seeing where they can go with most of what they have here now (goaltending obviously is the biggest concern for Wins though)

You realize they are going to have to spend like $15-20 million just to get to the cap floor next season so they are allowed to play.

There will be some signings or trades. If they are set on UPL being up here then fine, as long as Kuemper or Husso is the starter. They can also upgrade the 3rd pairing with a Gudbransen or Gudas like defensive thumper.

Edited by Flashsabre

1 hour ago, SABRES 0311 said:

I hope he is. He is individually talented but nothing the team would miss if the return was at least fair.

I’m sure there was an equal number of people on here saying the same thing about Tage last year. I’m not saying Mitts is going to take a miraculous 180, but I think it’s a bit too early to be closing the book on some of our young players. 

5 hours ago, Weave said:

Hot take:

Krebs gonna get moved to a team who can’t handle the cap hit. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.