2022 Offseason Game Plan

GASabresIUFAN

23 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Not a fan of that proposal. Both Fiala and Mitts are much better players then Comtois. Comtois has 3 goals and 12 points on the season. He seems more like a 3rd liner at best or 4th liner.

I'd welcome going after Comtois, but I doubt the Ducks are interested in moving him. I'd be more interested in moving Mitts for a goalie though. We have to upgrade goaltending if we actually want to compete next year and just assuming UPL will get it done could get us into a Hart/Philly type of situation that won't go well. 

7 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I'd welcome going after Comtois, but I doubt the Ducks are interested in moving him. I'd be more interested in moving Mitts for a goalie though. We have to upgrade goaltending if we actually want to compete next year and just assuming UPL will get it done could get us into a Hart/Philly type of situation that won't go well. 

Why are we trying to move Mitts?

Sign a goalie, keep Mitts and watch him blossom next year.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks (+1) 2

The Wild are unlikely to be trading Dumba or Fiala.  Despite having to lug around the Suter/Parise’s buyouts for the next few years they are in surprisingly good shape cap wise for next year.  They have 17 players already under contract for only 61.5 mill.  Rossi will make the team for another value contract.  Fiala is really the only major expense left.  After that they are only looking at a backup goalie and a few depth F and D.  This may put them a few million over the cap but that can be fixed by getting someone else’s LTIR contract like we did with Boychuk.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

My target from this report would be Bo Horvat. 30 goal centre and one of the best faceoff guys in the league. Sound like Canucks want picks and prospects. IF he becomes available he would be a big target around the league. I wouldn’t be adverse to a package with Myers either.

“According to Farhan Lalji of TSN and other reports there is a culture chemistry issue in Van.

There isnt necessarily a "cancer" in the locker room but there have been many reports that something is off in terms of chemistry and culture within the team. Some will tell you its JT Miller's abrasive personality while other reports say there are too many " relaxed" "chill" guys on the team who dont show enough intensity especially when it comes to practices. Whatever the case is, there are reports that the new management will be very very this off-season and will turn this roster upside down fit more of their liking.

Apparently everyone is available except for Pettersson, Demko, Hughes, Podkolzin.

What is your prediction on who comes and goes this summer?

Some players that might be of interest

-JT Miller- 1 yr left. 5.2 mil AAV. 93 pts in 75 games thus far
- 7.2 mil qualifying offer as RFA- however he wants long term contract probably around 6.75. Pure Sniper
- Horvat- One of if not the best face off guy in the NHL- 30 goals in 70 games. 27 yrs old
- Garland- signed long term at a very good AAV- ultra skilled and endless motor- small in size
- Hoglander- hit a sophmore slump this season before season ending injury. but is very skilled
- Myers- say what you will about the contract but he is a big right shot dman and has played like a top pairing Dman this season.
- OEL- similar to Myers, contract is big but he has been an excellent top pairing Dman this season.
- Rathbone- promising young offensive LHD- 5'10. Destroying the AHL in his rookie season- 39 pts in 35 games. He might be blocked into making the big team as Hughes and OEL are present.

The one consistent message that Allvin and Rutherford have said is that they are looking for cap relief and cap space and arent opposed to taking a step back next season in order to be competitive 2-3 years from now. Which means picks and prospects are welcomed.”

Edited by Flashsabre

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

The Wild are unlikely to be trading Dimba or Fiala.  Despite having to lug around the Suter/Paris’s buyouts for the next few years they are in surprisingly good shape cap wise for next year.  They have 17 players already under contract for only 61.5 mill.  Rossi will make the team for another value contract.  Fiala is really the only major expense left.  After that they are only looking at a backup goalie and a few depth F and D.  This may put them a few million over the cap but that can be fixed by getting someone else’s LTIR contract like we did with Boychuk.

Getting someone’s LTIR contract would help get to the floor, but it wouldn’t help get under the cap. Adding a contract on LTIR would not change them from being over the cap to under. It would basically give them a new cap that is that contract higher, except that contract would still count against it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

9 hours ago, nfreeman said:

I think DM likes Joki quite a bit and that Joki is therefore a lock for the top 4.

Adams is on record saying he wants to get a vet to partner w/ Power (& that's not the only external help he's looking for).  Samuelsson-Dahlin is looking extremely good in a small sample.

Jokiharju is a fixture, but likely as the 3rd pairing anchor that moves up to cover for injuries.

Expecting Adams tries to land 1 bridge GT.  Hopefully 3rd time is the charm.

Could see no outside F's brought in, but that would be so rare in this league that the expectation is 2 outsiders get brought in.  A 4C & somebody else.  That somebody else could be the fruit of @Weave's hockey trade.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

Why are we trying to move Mitts?

Sign a goalie, keep Mitts and watch him blossom next year.

I'm not trying to move Mitts, I'm just looking at the roster and thinking who is valuable enough that someone might want to trade for him and yet not that valuable or necessary to the future of the team. He's the one I come up with. 

So just "sign a goalie". Who is that? Unless you think we can get Kuemper who is that goalie you want to just sign?  Here's the list of what's potentially out there.

https://www.spotrac.com/nhl/free-agents/goaltender/ufa/

Korpisalo and DeSmith are probably the best of that bunch that isn't over the hill but neither excites me. I'd trade trade for a decent one if possible. 

33 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I'm not trying to move Mitts, I'm just looking at the roster and thinking who is valuable enough that someone might want to trade for him and yet not that valuable or necessary to the future of the team. He's the one I come up with. 

So just "sign a goalie". Who is that? Unless you think we can get Kuemper who is that goalie you want to just sign?  Here's the list of what's potentially out there.

https://www.spotrac.com/nhl/free-agents/goaltender/ufa/

Korpisalo and DeSmith are probably the best of that bunch that isn't over the hill but neither excites me. I'd trade trade for a decent one if possible. 

1) Ville Husso

2) Holtby

3) “Just trade for a goalie” who might that be?

6 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Husso's not going to be available. 

Holtby's way past it. No thank you. 

Lot's of trade possibilities but that should be left for the off season goalie threads which I'm sure will emerge. 

Whatever the trade is, and a goalie could very well come from a trade, the odds are high that it'll be a bridge guy that is brought in rather than a LT starter.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PickaPecaPickles said:

Seems reasonably doable with the projected group?

Skinner Tnt Tuch = 95-100  

VO Mitts Quinn    =  60-70

Z Asplund KO      =  40

Krebs Cozens JJP = 45

D                            = 20-25

Total                      = 260-280 or 3.17 - 3.41 ppg

These are fun to estimate and I do something like this every year to try to gauge potential.  

I'd probably be more conservative for the first line with 80 goals (30, 30, 20).  Tnt is shooting 15% and that typically isn't really sustainable.

I agree on the second line (25, 15, 20) with 60 goals

As to KO's line, I'm hoping for an upgrade at center, but 10, 10, 15 for 35 with 40 potential.

The "4th" is the real unknown.  I think Krebs has 15 goals in him next season and possibly 20.  I can also see Cozens getting 20 if he continues to improve (which he should).  JJP is a complete unknown at this level.  However if Derek Roy at 20 could put up 19 pts in 49 games as a rookie in 2003-4, JJP should be able to do that at the worst. Best case for this line is 50+ goals, worst case? probably 40 goals.  

For the defense, I might even say 30 as a group.  This year's group is at 26 (Dahlin 12), with zero from Samuelsson or Fitz and only 1 from Power so far.  Add another top 4 D in the off-season and 30 might even be low.

I'd also add 10 goals for miscellaneous, usually from callups like Biro and Murray or the 13th forward. 

I see 255-260 as a very realistic potential for this team next season.  That would put us square in the playoff hunt, especially is we can lower the goals against as well.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

The Wild are unlikely to be trading Dumba or Fiala.  Despite having to lug around the Suter/Parise’s buyouts for the next few years they are in surprisingly good shape cap wise for next year.  They have 17 players already under contract for only 61.5 mill.  Rossi will make the team for another value contract.  Fiala is really the only major expense left.  After that they are only looking at a backup goalie and a few depth F and D.  This may put them a few million over the cap but that can be fixed by getting someone else’s LTIR contract like we did with Boychuk.

You might get my attention if you include Marcus Foligno in the conversation.😉

7 hours ago, Taro T said:

Whatever the trade is, and a goalie could very well come from a trade, the odds are high that it'll be a bridge guy that is brought in rather than a LT starter.

I know this steers off topic, but solid goaltending will enhance the offense by allowing it to open up more and play from ahead more and not having to tightly defend tiny leads. I think we need a vet goalie for the next 3 years in terms of a plan forward. 

Since the catharsis of the Eichel return game, our record is 12/6/3.

That's good for 11th in the NHL, 4th in the division and 6th in the conference.

• Our offence is 13th in the NHL
  • Our defence is 15th in the NHL
  • Our PP is 5th
  • Our PK is 19th
  • Shots for 27th
  • Shots against 12th
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, dudacek said:

• Our PP is 5th
  • Our PK is 19th
  • Shots for 27th
  • Shots against 12th

So since the Eichel game we have played at a low end playoff team level effectively 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

I know this steers off topic, but solid goaltending will enhance the offense by allowing it to open up more and play from ahead more and not having to tightly defend tiny leads. I think we need a vet goalie for the next 3 years in terms of a plan forward. 

Agree 100% on goaltending.  But, pretty sure Adams plan isn't exactly what either of us (or @GASabresIUFAN for that matter, who has brought it up a lot) would necessary say is THE right move.  He speaks openly of seeing the future as very bright but the question becomes how to bridge to that future..  Couple that with his also being on record as saying the kids still have much more growth to go through to get to the/a brighter future & that belief is simply reinforced.

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, dudacek said:

• Our PP is 5th
  • Our PK is 19th
  • Shots for 27th
  • Shots against 12th

I bet noone would have signed up for a bet that our PP would be better after moving Jack and Sam.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

These are fun to estimate and I do something like this every year to try to gauge potential.  

I'd probably be more conservative for the first line with 80 goals (30, 30, 20).  Tnt is shooting 15% and that typically isn't really sustainable.

I agree on the second line (25, 15, 20) with 60 goals

As to KO's line, I'm hoping for an upgrade at center, but 10, 10, 15 for 35 with 40 potential.

The "4th" is the real unknown.  I think Krebs has 15 goals in him next season and possibly 20.  I can also see Cozens getting 20 if he continues to improve (which he should).  JJP is a complete unknown at this level.  However if Derek Roy at 20 could put up 19 pts in 49 games as a rookie in 2003-4, JJP should be able to do that at the worst. Best case for this line is 50+ goals, worst case? probably 40 goals.  

For the defense, I might even say 30 as a group.  This year's group is at 26 (Dahlin 12), with zero from Samuelsson or Fitz and only 1 from Power so far.  Add another top 4 D in the off-season and 30 might even be low.

I'd also add 10 goals for miscellaneous, usually from callups like Biro and Murray or the 13th forward. 

I see 255-260 as a very realistic potential for this team next season.  That would put us square in the playoff hunt, especially is we can lower the goals against as well.

Yes, that was what my attempt was about, to see how realistic it is for them to hit your goal total, and I also think it's very doable. 

As for the top line, I think Tage has even more room to grow. He and Skinner are at 68 now, and I think they will hit at least 70 next year too.  Looking forward to it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.